Another 17" wheel question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cracked1

Reaction score
I've got a 2004 Limited with the 17" wheel and would like to get a set of GoodYear Duratracs in 245-70-17. These have a diameter of 30.6" and I know they won't work with a stock suspension. This is my daily driver that I also use to get me to some backpacking and fishing areas. I was looking at some of the possible solutions on jeepinbyal.com and it seems like an easy solution could be either the 1.5" Daystar front leveling kit or the Daystar 2.5" kit.

1.5" -> JeepinbyAl.com - Detail1 - JBA-KJ09119BK - Daystar 1.5 Leveling kit Front only - Jeep Liberty KJ (2002-2007) - JeepinbyAl.com

2.5" -> JeepinbyAl.com - Detail1 - KJ09117BK - Daystar Strut Lift - Jeep Liberty KJ (2002-2007) - JeepinbyAl.com

I guess my first question is if the 1.5" kit would be enough to fit 30.6" diameter tires.

My second question is concerning ride quality. Does anyone have experience with these kits? Will I end up with a compressed spring and bounce off of every little pebble and pothole on the road? I would try the clevis lift instead but I don't think that would be enough.

Thanks!

cracked1

Reaction score
I may be new to this forum but I'm not new to forums in general... I've searched and read more than 80 posts most of which say "This has been discussed tons! Do a search!". The ones that don't say that turn into an argument about how horrible spacer lifts are. Some of them do go on to say that the spacer lift isn't so bad if it's not on a rig that is more on road than off (which describes mine fairly well). Maybe I just had high hopes that someone could save me 8 more hours of searching and just give an opinion. Or, maybe I'm just terrible at using the search function... I dunno.

One thing my continued use of the search function has done is get me thinking about something more like the "WesWay" lift for now. Seems to be pretty flexible for future lifts and the possibility that this won't always be my daily driver.

So... Thanks! :happy160:

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
Slightly North of the 49° th. Parallel... In HongC
Daystar spacer lift works ok if you have less than fourth thousand miles on your Liberty.
At 40K+ your stock factory coil springs have sagged and your shocks are bagged out.
Considering that you have to take the front suspension totally apart to install a spacer lift, it just doesn't make financial sense to reuse the stock springs with new shock absorbers.
Because the springs have sagged and gotten softer, the shocks work harder and don't last as long and you'll need to replace your shocks more often.
Best if you save your money and wait until you can afford to buy a new set of coil springs to install with your new shocks. Then you will have a truck that will handle better than new and better than a spacer lift with worn coil springs and new shocks.
A clevis lift works great to gain some extra lift and for fine tuning the height of a new lift kit install.
With a 30.6" tall tire (or 31"), you will need at least 2.5 inches of lift to clear them.
Even then you might still get some rubbing on certain parts of the vehicles under pinnings.
Usually on the inner plastic fender liners by the pinch weld and by the front of the inner fender liner, as well as the swaybar.(usuall in reverse when the wheels are fully turned).
Ultimately it's your choice...
But at the end of the day most people who have gone with a spacer lift and end up going with a full coil lift and then come back here and tell us that they should of listened to us in the first place.

And yes, you will find many versions of what I just wrote using the search function!
I did in less than five minutes!;)

cracked1

Reaction score
And yes, you will find many versions of what I just wrote using the search function!
I did in less than five minutes!;)

You're right... I came off like a bit of an a$$ in that last post and I apologize. I think my issue is that I have a lot to learn about my Liberty and there is a TON of info out there about the many ways to get the results I want. And, every method seems to have its supporters and detractors. After some more research I think I may save my money and get the OME 2" kit and maybe a clevis lift on top of that. There's also some local craigslist adds for 16" jeep wheels that I might pick up. I dunno yet, lots of options...

Again, sorry about the crappy attitude and thanks for answering me anyways.

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
Slightly North of the 49° th. Parallel... In HongC
You're right... I came off like a bit of an a$$ in that last post and I apologize. I think my issue is that I have a lot to learn about my Liberty and there is a TON of info out there about the many ways to get the results I want. And, every method seems to have its supporters and detractors. After some more research I think I may save my money and get the OME 2" kit and maybe a clevis lift on top of that. There's also some local craigslist adds for 16" jeep wheels that I might pick up. I dunno yet, lots of options...

Again, sorry about the crappy attitude and thanks for answering me anyways.

No need to apologize.
I'm one of the biggest F:favorites68:ing A:favorites68:holes here!:D

Last edited:

rockymountain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
try the new jeepkj search:

Google

it works better.

No matter if you're driving on or off road, daystar budget lift give you a bad ride. They're really only good for a brand new suspension. After 40k the suspension is pretty much bagged on the KJ.

I'd say you need about 2" of lift for the 30.6 tires to fit nicely, any less and you'll get some rubbing. I have the same in the 16 (245 75 16) and they rub the front fender at full lock. You can hear it when reversing.

Your '04 will loose that spacer lift fairly quickly too since your suspension just sags faster and faster over time especially with spacers.

seabass1858

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Im glad I went with the ome springs because I was contemplating on the daystar, but after hearing all the issues people have, i can testify that people know more than what I was thinking at first, putting it all in to geometry terms helped me made more sense of the spacer lift because I one that has to see the math behind the situation. Another thing that helped me get my rig aligned properly was the jba 4.5 arms. My rig is still a work in progress and is not perfect by no means but after spending the few months on this forum following the purchase of my kj back in sept, I can say one thing and that is listen to what people saying short term pain > ($) = long term gain (safe/stable long lasting rig that can be family friendly as well) if im deployed I know what I want my wife to drive and it no cheaply lifted vehicle. Plan to sped atleast 700 on a premium quality lift and the price gets higher from there trust me I have that disease now and I had and still have it with my 1960 cj5 too.

Latest posts

Members online