AllGood News Window Regulator

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes its very known and the dealers even know it. They just don't advertise it.
Not a well known problem,just slightly more common then most like a crack in the upper driverside radiator tank.

There are about 100 or so active members here and sure maybe half have had a regulator go(or multiple) but like most forums most poeple never visit until they have a issue so the odds are better to hear of a problem on forums like this one.There are over 1.2 million KJ's out there,you would need at least more then 25% or more failures to be common,that's about 300,000 would have to fail,only 299,950 more to go:smokin:.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not a well known problem,just slightly more common then most like a crack in the upper driverside radiator tank.

There are about 100 or so active members here and sure maybe half have had a regulator go(or multiple) but like most forums most poeple never visit until they have a issue so the odds are better to hear of a problem on forums like this one.There are over 1.2 million KJ's out there,you would need at least more then 25% or more failures to be common,that's about 300,000 would have to fail,only 299,950 more to go:smokin:.

...sounds like budke welding math...................:smokin:

Dave

gnp.hiker

Full Access Member
Reaction score

LOL ... take in to effect all the other forums also and its not just the KJ. Service Manager said it was probably the biggest customer compliant they get and other models under Chrysler too, not just the KJ.

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
LOL ... take in to effect all the other forums also and its not just the KJ. Service Manager said it was probably the biggest customer compliant they get and other models under Chrysler too, not just the KJ.

While the window regulators with the KJ are an issue

Service Managers are trained to say that to make customers feel as if they're not alone.

WesChapman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My drivers side rear window failed again about 2 months ago. I replaced the first regulator myself, but when it broke again a year later, I was going to use the Steiger part to fix it. While doing a search about Steiger, I found this thread. Not expecting anything, I called Chrysler and received a pleasantly surprising answer. They would probably help out, but needed a dealer to inspect it first. Took it in yesterday, and Chrysler called today to say they would cover the cost of parts. I have to pay the labor, but the quoted labor charge is less than the cost of the Steiger part and I don't have to do it. I was very pleased with the outcome especially since my KJ is a 2005 with over 100k miles and no extended warranties.
Unfortunately they will be using the same type of part so it may fail again, but I'll going to be positive about this and hope that it doesn't. The other three are original and still working. (knocking on wood.)

Lashlarue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I found out about this problem researching a problem on a Wrangler 4.0.My two rear passenger windows have never been used.49 months and I have less than 14K on mine.Now I'm afraid to test them.

eyehatetofu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My driver's side rear went out again on Monday. Called the dealership and they said it would be fixed for free since it was recalled. I asked them how it was going to be fixed and they were super vague about the fix. They said the part wouldn't be replaced but they now fix what broke and replace a certain part (wouldn't say which part, supposedly didn't know). When the vehicle was returned I ran the window up and down and it tracked fine. When I got home I noticed a bunch of black plastic-y goo, kind of like RTV sealant, all over my rock rails and the bottom of the door inside. I think they just glued the broken shit back together. When I get some more time I'm going to pull the door panel off and see exactly what they did. Not much of a fix IMO; lazy bastards, and sloppy as hell to boot. I hate the dealership. :death:

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My driver's side rear went out again on Monday. Called the dealership and they said it would be fixed for free since it was recalled. I asked them how it was going to be fixed and they were super vague about the fix. They said the part wouldn't be replaced but they now fix what broke and replace a certain part (wouldn't say which part, supposedly didn't know). When the vehicle was returned I ran the window up and down and it tracked fine. When I got home I noticed a bunch of black plastic-y goo, kind of like RTV sealant, all over my rock rails and the bottom of the door inside. I think they just glued the broken shit back together. When I get some more time I'm going to pull the door panel off and see exactly what they did. Not much of a fix IMO; lazy bastards, and sloppy as hell to boot. I hate the dealership. :death:
There is no recall,only a updated TSB.NHTSA has no clue about any recall as of today(DEC 9th) as does 4 different dealers I have talked to in the last 2 days in 2 different states.

They are from talking to some dealerships are covering the cost of '06 and '07's,any other years they are charging a deductable from $50-$150 for the fix and some dealers are not charging at all.

gnp.hiker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
LOL ... "Not a well known problem" ... sure seems it is since Chrysler has no problem authorizing dealers to do the repairs. :icon_rolleyes:

BjBnet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Most likely does not apply to the 2nd and later owners as most extended warranty's have that rule.
I never understood that. It's a scam and an easy way out of warranties. What difference WHO owns it? We didn't pass any special tests when we bought the vehicle which merits us having a warranty.
I fix fix commercial cardio fitness equipment and it's the same thing with some manufacturers....lifetime warranty on motors for the original owner only...
On that note, my regulators are ok too lol

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I never understood that. It's a scam and an easy way out of warranties. What difference WHO owns it? We didn't pass any special tests when we bought the vehicle which merits us having a warranty.
I fix fix commercial cardio fitness equipment and it's the same thing with some manufacturers....lifetime warranty on motors for the original owner only...
On that note, my regulators are ok too lol
It's a selling point to the 1st owner,the 2nd or 3rd owner may not buy it from a Chrysler dealership so no use keeping it one used vehicles since it does not make them any money.

And no it's not a stupid idea.

Frozentoze

Reaction score
I've replaced 3 of them in my '02. Passenger around '04, Driver in '08 and Passenger again in '10.

I found a guy on eBay that repairs and upgrades them for about the same price as Mopar new. After buying Mopar the first two times and having one of my Mopar replacements break again, I had enough. This guy pays you for your core, fixes prior ones with some home made metal plates / rivots / UHMW and resells it. I saw his work on my part, and I feel good that it was the right thing to do rather than replacing it with another new plastic-anchored regulator.

I forget his name, but if you go to eBAY and search Jeep Window Regulator, his offerings will be in the results and it will tell this same story.

eyehatetofu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There is no recall,only a updated TSB.NHTSA has no clue about any recall as of today(DEC 9th) as does 4 different dealers I have talked to in the last 2 days in 2 different states.

They are from talking to some dealerships are covering the cost of '06 and '07's,any other years they are charging a deductable from $50-$150 for the fix and some dealers are not charging at all.

I went to Bill Luke Chrysler Dodge Jeep in Phoenix Arizona, and they said that the regulators are under recall. I have no warranty and it was done for free. Don't know any of the specifics and I don't really care. They fixed my junk for free and said to keep bringing it in when the others fail. Works for me. Only reason my heep will be brought there for though. I will spend my money elsewhere for everything else.