Alignments

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mercdudecbr600

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don't read much do ya ? :gr_grin::emotions34:
Sorry but if you would take the time to read what I posted go to the left front wheel, bend down, measure MIDDLE OF THE WHEEL TO BOTTOM OF THE FLARE. Very simple and takes tire height/ size of tire etc out of the measurements.

Now if that measurement is 33 , then someone has thrown a SFA under yours LOL

Oh I did but since I’ve never measured any vehicle ride height that way, I thought it was strange. I’ll do it after work, but mind you these are stock 235/70/16 tires with total height at 29” but probably more like 28” while on vehicle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Oh I did but since I’ve never measured any vehicle ride height that way, I thought it was strange. I’ll do it after work, but mind you these are stock 235/70/16 tires with total height at 29” but probably more like 28” while on vehicle.

this is the way you measure any to see if springs have sagged or not
Not strange at all been doing it for years and years
Measuring this way it does not matter if your tires are 2 inches 29 inches or 35 inches tall

mercdudecbr600

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Properly Measured at 20”. Now, how does that compare?

JasonJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Properly Measured at 20”. Now, how does that compare?

1" above new stock for post-lowered and all 2003 and up. When new, a pre-lowered '02 would have been 19.75", but as was said, any springs you buy new now, are going to be the later style, putting you at 19.0" center of hub to fender flare edge.

If the springs haven't been on for very long, and it sounds like they have not, then after they settle, you will probably lose 0.25-0.5" I bet.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
If stock style new springs will be down to 19 in a month or less, then another alignment so you are right for stock new suspension

mercdudecbr600

Full Access Member
Reaction score
By taking a look at the replaced struts (when I did the suspension I kept the springs) I’d say the springs are at least a few years old. So hopefully they’ve already sagged as much as they will. I guess I’ll find out!

Thanks for the info

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
By taking a look at the replaced struts (when I did the suspension I kept the springs) I’d say the springs are at least a few years old. So hopefully they’ve already sagged as much as they will. I guess I’ll find out!

Thanks for the info

Now confused as I thought you replaced the springs and shocks up front , no struts

Ok had to look back, this is what I thought .........quote from first post " Short version: replaced stock suspension on my 2002 liberty with new stock stuff,"
so you didn't replace the stock suspension then

Last edited:

mercdudecbr600

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did, except the springs because they were newish. I assumed a quick strut kit from kyb, which is what was on the Jeep beforehand.

Now everything but springs are new, but at least the fronts are newish.

kejobe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So, new shocks are on the front with "old" springs. Correct? How many miles on it since this was done? Reason is they may not have settled back in yet.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I did, except the springs because they were newish. I assumed a quick strut kit from kyb, which is what was on the Jeep beforehand.

Now everything but springs are new, but at least the fronts are newish.

Never use old springs and new shocks shocks shocks
waste of $$$ really unless springs were a month or so old
You need to match suspension parts and kyb.......oh well
KJs are a heavy vehicle and you need to use quality parts

JasonJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Some incomplete and misinformation here.. replaced with "stock stuff"... but now you're clarifying that it was just the shocks replaced, why didn't you simply say "I replaced my shocks and reused my springs"?

Well.. I guess it's done now, so we'll see how she rolls from here on out.

mercdudecbr600

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Because this was about alignments, and I replaced everything except the springs which are also stock.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Because this was about alignments, and I replaced everything except the springs which are also stock.

You're not understanding now, if your measurements are right and your springs are used, then you have some sort of aftermarket springs like OME/ or could be another brand. But unless someone installed say OME 925s, then your springs have sagged a lot, so although you asked about alignments, this is and will affect the alignment in a way.
So just trying to determine for future use , what you have and what concerns may come up in the future for you as far as ride and good overall handling.
I have over 40 years doing suspensions from stock to upgraded high end sport cars, started doing them late 1972. So just a wee bit of experience in knowing what works, what affects what.
So just trying to help, this forum and LOSTJEEPs are actual forums where owners help other owners and where many have been on here for years, unlike Fakebook where 80% are first time owners of 4x4s, no knowledge at all

mercdudecbr600

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Understood, I’m not trying to be contrary. The deal is that the previous owner installed kyb struts/shocks up front and he said they were new springs. The kyb look to be about a year or two old so I’m making the assumption that the springs are also that old since it wouldn’t make sense to install new springs on old struts. But who knows.

I appreciate the feedback

duderz7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Understood, I’m not trying to be contrary. The deal is that the previous owner installed kyb struts/shocks up front and he said they were new springs. The kyb look to be about a year or two old so I’m making the assumption that the springs are also that old since it wouldn’t make sense to install new springs on old struts. But who knows.

I appreciate the feedback

But apparently makes sense to install new shocks with old springs? I'm sorry friend, but you've made a poor decision here. Replace springs ASAP or you'll likely need to replace shocks and springs shortly.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
But apparently makes sense to install new shocks with old springs? I'm sorry friend, but you've made a poor decision here. Replace springs ASAP or you'll likely need to replace shocks and springs shortly.

That is what I am trying to wrap my head around.:blah:
Weak shocks wear springs out as fast as weak springs wear out good shocks.