Alarms - ESP, ABS, etc.?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Redbone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
3 lights came on at the same time. I reset the computer but the came back on immediately after. They are - ESP/BAS on upper left of panel, ABS on upper right, & car squealing out sign bottom center. What's broke?:confused: I can't find info on this in book.

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
All are for the ESP/BAS - Electronic Stability Program / Brake Assist System.

ABS - Anti Lock Brakes

Car skidding out - Traction Control.

All are controlled by the same thing, the ABS pump. So the problem lies in the ABS system. Pump? Blown Fuse? ABS Wheel Speed Sensor? Heck if I know, but there goes your definitions. :)

Atrus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What Marlon said.

I'd think it's a bad sensor or connection. The reason I say connection is because after 1 year and 18k on mine, the wheel speed sensor wiring harness completely corroded on the right side (Yes, right SIDE, as in both front and rear). The tech tested the sensor and it was fine, however, the actual plug was totally corroded and fell apart in his hand.

Redbone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
******...... front or back?

u know as much about this as a cheerleader knows about abstinance.:eek:

Well maybe not. I just been wanting to use that line since I heard it last week. :D

Redbone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All are for the ESP/BAS - Electronic Stability Program / Brake Assist System.

ABS - Anti Lock Brakes

Car skidding out - Traction Control.

All are controlled by the same thing, the ABS pump. So the problem lies in the ABS system. Pump? Blown Fuse? ABS Wheel Speed Sensor? Heck if I know, but there goes your definitions. :)

Thanks. That gives me a starting place.

Powerslave

Banned
Reaction score
When all those lights come on, there is an ERROR, which is usually a bad sensor. The symptom for all three of those lights: Clock Spring Angle Sensor.

I had the EXACT same thing happen to me right after I bought it; it was the Clock Spring Angle Sensor.

Last edited:

ThunderbirdJunkie

Bronze Supporter
Reaction score
Pump is unlikely.

It is a speed sensor malfunctioning. To find out which one you need to *gasp* getchoself a scanner, or start testing continuity on ABS wires

Atrus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pump is unlikely.

It is a speed sensor malfunctioning. To find out which one you need to *gasp* getchoself a scanner, or start testing continuity on ABS wires

Agreed. Not sure if the cheapass Autozone rentals will tell you which it is or not. May be worth the $60 or so to have a dealer diagnose, then decide if you want to repair yourself.

Redbone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Agreed. Not sure if the cheapass Autozone rentals will tell you which it is or not. May be worth the $60 or so to have a dealer diagnose, then decide if you want to repair yourself.

Not a job for a 1 arm guy. Looks like a *gasp* trip to the shop. I hate them people!:mad:

Redbone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When all those lights come on, there is an ERROR, which is usually a bad sensor. The symptom for all three of those lights: Clock Spring Angle Sensor.

I had the EXACT same thing happen to me right after I bought it; it was the Clock Spring Angle Sensor.

Pump is unlikely.

ding ding ding we have winners. $193 later I have a new right rear speed sensor AND an edumication on ESP I have putting off. 1st vehicle I've ever had with this feature.

ThunderbirdJunkie

Bronze Supporter
Reaction score
ding ding ding we have winners. $193 later I have a new right rear speed sensor AND an edumication on ESP I have putting off. 1st vehicle I've ever had with this feature.

Wow.
Considering you really didn't have to lift a finger, that's a damn fine deal!

Atrus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's not too bad. Fronts are $31.50 each at the stealership parts desk here. Not sure what rears run.

Redbone

Full Access Member
Reaction score

MoreTorque06

Reaction score
I've had this same problem with my 2006 for about 8 months now. I wish mine was as easy as the rear wheel sensors. Everything has been replaced and all 3 are still late.

However, around here, rear sensors are about $10/each from the dealer

Powerslave

Banned
Reaction score
I've had this same problem with my 2006 for about 8 months now. I wish mine was as easy as the rear wheel sensors. Everything has been replaced and all 3 are still late.

However, around here, rear sensors are about $10/each from the dealer

Did you replace the hardware, or did a dealer? Have that Clock Spring Angle Sensor (CSAS) checked. That is another part of the system that detects where the steering wheel is -vs- which way your vehicle is traveling. So, if you are turned to the left, but the vehicle is skidding straight, and no wheels have lost traction (but fronts are turning slower then the others); this is the only other way it can detect you are skidding, something to that effect; the dealer wasn't that specific when mine needed replaced; with all three lights on.

Mine all come on when I have about 50lbs in the cargo area, and two people in the back seat, so figure that one out... That is also, BEFORE the thing starts applying brakes to different wheels for no reason, and it feels like the transmission is slipping (I thought that when it FIRST happened, till the Bong, and the lights came on). This is even after the CSAS was replaced.

SO, when I have people in the car, I turn ESP off, and it's fine.