Aftermarket Remote Start 05' Liberty

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mytmouse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, my question is about Aftermarket Remote Start on an 05' Liberty...

I priced around to just have it installed as I'm pressed for time and it's freakin cold out and just want to have it sooner rather then later.

I have the Liberty keyless entry key fobs, I wanted the extra range so I chose to look for a remote start with it's own key fobs - which would give me a range up to a 1/4 mile or so, over the aprox. 100' of just programming the stock Liberty keyless entry key fobs (lock button 3x's)...

My question is I thought that the Liberty (maybe not the 05') did NOT need the extra "by pass module" to be installed along with the remote start module due to having "Chipped" keys...
I got prices all about the same from a choice of local "reliable" installers that I knew of. The thing was once I went to the one I chose, all of a sudden the price was almost another $100 more due to them saying I needed the additional "by pass module" because of the keys on this Liberty are "Chipped". Not know for sure and since I was there and my recent hectic schedule - I just had them do it....
I'm just curious now - was this a bait and switch, that I got take for a ride for another $100 for the additional "By pass module" and Install, or is it really required/needed for the 05' Liberty w/keyless entry key fobs ?

kejobe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not sure about the '05-up, but the '02-'04's will have either a black key (non-chipped) or a grey key (chipped). If chipped then the module is required.

Mytmouse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not sure about the '05-up, but the '02-'04's will have either a black key (non-chipped) or a grey key (chipped). If chipped then the module is required.

These are the keys for the 05' - keyless w/entry:

You must be registered for see images attach

Mytmouse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So being that I had a bit of time and I was curious I popped open the knee bolster under the steering column to see what kind of a job they did and what was installed.
So it seems they did install both the "by pass module" and the remote start module...

See link of pictures:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/Wx94AxToCahasUT27

Last edited:

Jeremy-WI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
One way to find out is to go somewhere and have a key without a chip made and see if it will start the vehicle

I did that with my 2006, it does have chipped keys. I just had it made in case I locked my key inside

mrlavalamp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
One way to find out is to go somewhere and have a key without a chip made and see if it will start the vehicle

I did that with my 2006, it does have chipped keys. I just had it made in case I locked my key inside

You mean you didnt want to go to the dealer and spend a hair under $600 to go from one key with a remote to two keys with remotes?

I only have the one key on my 06 and that was the quote, and even though I am an electrical contractor actively remodeling the mechanics work area in this chrysler dodge jeep dealer, I cannot get them to budge even an inch.

Jeremy-WI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Some locksmiths might be able to program a second key. Some places that cut keys can clone the one you have and that is probably around $70. I had the 2 factory keys and then bought some keys with the remote on ebay for about $10/each, had them cut and programmed them into the system myself.

mrlavalamp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All I have is one chip key(just like the one above minus the viper remote). You cannot go from one chip key to ANYTHING except a duplicate of that key without going to the dealer.

Last edited: