Advise on possible purchase

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ArmyChief

Reaction score
A friend of mind in California has a 2002 Liberty Sport 4WD, Auto Trans with manual windows.

The interior is dirty, i'm pretty sure a good detail will bring it to life. Missing a right rear wheel fender flare and probably needs a rear bumper replacement.

The big issue is the engine (go figure Huh). It has two holes with low compression that come back up when tested wet. Has 150k on the odometer.

My background is that I was a Factory Dodge/Jeep/Eagle tech from 1991-2000. So, I have the tools and knowledge to work on it (I've never worked on the 3.7, but have 4.7...same basic thing). However, leaving the dealer in 2000...I really wasn't around to experience the common engine issues.

I think I can get the vehicle for $750, plus $925 to ship it from California to Florida.

What do you experts think I will need to repair the motor ?. New engines are $2400-3200. Heads are about $400 each, master rebuild kit is $750.

I know you don't have a crystal ball, minus the block being trashed, which based off the initial testing is unlikely (I'm thinking rings bad)... Do I need a master kit?

You think it's worth the trouble..me doing all the work?

Thanks guys/gals? :)

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Without seeing it hard to say if it would be worth dragging it across country or not. Going to have quite a bit before you even get started.
With missing flare / bumper cover and dirty interior are by themselves not a big deal add them together and you've got quite a bit tied up.
We picked up one ( 03 Renegade loaded with almost perfect body) with fairly new new full OME suspension ( installed in my garage) and 4 brand new 245-75-16 Duratracs for less that that

ArmyChief

Reaction score
Thanks....if I can repair the engine, without buying a motor..I'm thinking I would have $3000 in it. Not many going for sale around here for less than $5k....but I think your right. If I didn't have to pay the grand to ship it..might be worth it.

CactusJacked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How low was the compression in those 2 cylinders, compared to the other 4? When the wet test spikes the compression, then yes it's the rings. If you're able to do the rebuild yourself, and all you're into the engine for is the cost of parts, then it may be worth doing as long as the rest of the Jeep isn't trashed.

CobraNutt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wait...did you say MANUAL WINDOWS?! LOL! Didn't know any Libby's had manual windows. Learn something new every day...

Sent from my mystical handheld gizmo.

MarkJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are the two cylinders with low compression next to each other?