Additional key fob

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rchung813

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If I purchase a key FOB fromb ebay, such as

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/UNCU...ryZ33723QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem#ebayphotohosting

for my KJ 2007, I should be able to bring it to any key store to have it cut? or does it have to be through some special dealership?

I assume the key mentioned should work since it has the same FCC ID: M3N65981772 / IC: 267F-65981772 as my current key.

Any advice is greatly appreciated!

joeg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Lowes cut mine to fit but a dealer may have to program it.. My owners manual states how to do it yourself but when I tried (several times) it didn't wor'k...........

CRD4Liberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The dealer can do it quickly off the VIN number on the rig. Some of the locksmiths also may be able to. You don't need a FOB key to get in the rig, I carry a regular key in my wallet in case I leave my others in the rig or something. $1.50 worth of insurance I haven't had to use yet.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
CRD4Liberty said:
The dealer can do it quickly off the VIN number on the rig. Some of the locksmiths also may be able to. You don't need a FOB key to get in the rig, I carry a regular key in my wallet in case I leave my others in the rig or something. $1.50 worth of insurance I haven't had to use yet.

That's a good idea. I always assumed you couldn't do that but without a chip you couldn't use that key to start it. But if you just locked yourself out and your keys were inside, then that would be worth it's weight in gold as they say.

Dave

rchung813

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks all! I wanted an extra key just as an added security to get access and drive my car.

I found this link which is very informative on how to program the key yourself. So maybe I can get the key cut at any local place, ie. Lowes and then program the fob myself.

http://www.wkjeeps.com/wk_sentry_key.htm

Hopefully this will work and others will find this informative.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
rchung813.......interesting websie and info.....thanks

Dave

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
I was thinking about getting a spare key today, but figured that I'd never really get much use out of it unless it was a Sentry Key.

Cableguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know spare keys can be handy, especially when you lock yourself out of your jeep while it's parked in the garage. :) Had to get a ride from the neighbors to the nearest stealership to get a key blank cut. It's non-sentry key, but it get's me in the doors to recover my key.

That was a long day. I also learned that it's incredibly difficult to slim-jim the door.

Last edited:

priell3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had to replace a few of my '03 Sentry keys and found that buying them from Ebay and having them cut at the local hardware store was the cheapest way to go.

The first time I needed a replacement, I had to have the keys programmed by the dealer for $25 as I only had one working key (wife's key was stolen).

The next time, I had two working keys and programmed them myself in minutes using the instructions in the owner's manual.

I've purchased a number of fobs on Ebay also. A great money saver.

timmer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had a spare (Sentry) key cut at my local hardware store and then had it programmed along with a new fob (both purchased on eBay) at a Jeep dealer. It was about $40.00 for both IIRC.

FYI - the programming instructions found here only work if you have two working keys at the time, not just one.

rchung813

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bought the additional FOB key online and was excited to program it. The key came this Saturday, had the key cut on Sunday and was planning to have everything programmed and ready to go. The steps were pretty much simple, reading the online steps, which were the same steps in the manual,
---
1. Cut the additional Sentry key transponder blanks to match the ignition switch lock cylinder key code.

2. Insert the first valid key into the ignition switch and turn the ignition switch ON for at least 3 seconds but no longer than 15 seconds. Turn the ignition switch OFF and remove the first key.

3. Insert the second valid key and turn the ignition switch ON within 15 seconds. After 10 seconds, a chime will sound and the SKIS indicator light will begin to flash. Turn the ignition switch OFF and remove the Sentry key.

4. Insert a blank Sentry Key into the ignition switch and turn the ignition switch ON within 60 seconds. After 10 seconds, a single chime will sound. The SKIS indicator light will stop flashing, turn on for 3 seconds, then turn off.

The new Sentry Key has been programmed. Repeat this procedure to program up to a total of 8 keys.

----

However for the life of me I could not get step 3 to work. My SKIS indicator light would not begin to flash. I repeated the steps several time to no avail. Does anyone know why it might not work or have another work around?

The 2 links below are video clips of how I tried to program my additional key, though I could not get past step 3. Maybe I am missing something here someone can point out to me.

Clip one, my alarm was actived
Media Link1

Clip two, my alarm was deactived
Media Link2

Last edited:

kjpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A key in the wallet is smart. My BMW won't let me lock the door unless I use the key or the fob, which prevents any inadvertent lock out. I thought that was smart, so in the KJ I only lock the doors with the fob or the key after I exit the KJ. Worked great... until we went to look at a house in a remote town. I had decided to leave it unlocked, so I left the key in the ignition; My wife however had decided to leave her purse in the car, so she took it upon herself to lock the KJ with the button on the door. Of course, her keys were in her purse:rolleyes:.

rchung813

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Maybe this can best be answered in the electronics board? Can a mod move this to the correct board?

kjpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Maybe this can best be answered in the electronics board? Can a mod move this to the correct board?

Same people there as here, We are all KJ Country :D

The fob should work. Some of the posts above say you can have the key cut pretty much anywhere that cuts keys. I don't know how a MOPAR dealership does it, but a Nissan dealer can use a code, set it in their key cutter, and produce a key cut in new condition. A key copier will produce an exact copy of your old key, which may or may not be worn down. If a Jeep dealership could make a clean, fresh replacement, I'd try there; otherwise take it to Lowe's.

Programming the Fob is easy, reading the instructions MOPAR gives you correctly is difficult. See if the seller has any clearer instructions. I'll try to find mine.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
You have 2 working keys and the 3rd one you got is new. But step #3 does not work. I checked my book (05KJ) and it seems to read the same as what you posted. Your KJ is an 07. Do you have fresh batteries in them? I don't mean to be stupid - just thinking out loud - trying to help. I went out and followed the same directions and got past step #3 (got the chime) but I don't have a third key to try to program. I wonder if they did something to the 07 KJ programming?

Dave

rchung813

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you have fresh batteries in them?
I don't know if they are fresh, but I would assume so since it is an 07 model. Have you viewed the video of my attempt to program the key? Maybe you can see if I am doing something wrong or something different that what you did.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't know if they are fresh, but I would assume so since it is an 07 model. Have you viewed the video of my attempt to program the key? Maybe you can see if I am doing something wrong or something different that what you did.

Yea, the batteries should be ok, but I was just trying to think of what might affect it. I can't view the video because of my POS land line connection. I'm one step above "stone age" here. I'm sorry I can't be of better help. I tried googleing around for info but all I got were sites that sell the fobs. I was looking for a "troubleshooting site"

Dave

mster

Reaction score
I have an '07 liberty and am having the same problem as you. I attempted to look at your video but couldn't get it to load.

I get the chime, but the indicator will illuminate, but never flash in step 3. Is that what happens to you?

Ray

indianrefining

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The programming instructions in the owner's manual work like a champ IF you have the correct key. I bought one off eBay which was just one digit off on one of those numbers on the back and it wouldn't program. I purchased a second one (which had all the correct numbers) and the programming sailed right through.