Additional key fob

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mster

Reaction score
Ok, let me clarify, when you put the third key in, AS PART OF THE PROGRAMMING SEQUENCE, turn to the ignition position, not on. Leave it running until the SKIS chime goes out, and you are done. My spare is only to protect my ability to program more keys in should I lose one of the original 2, as you have to have 2 keys already programmed into the WCM, not the first 2 keys that came with the car. I bought a cheapo STRATTEC (Chrysler's OEM supplier of keys) gray headed blank for $6, cut it for free, programmed it myself, and it is in the fire safe. If I ever lose one of my originals with the integrated Fob, I will buy the blank for $40 and make it, but until then, why waste $30+ on a spare that will probably never be used. And no, I can't use any of the three keys because my vehicles are Lo/Jacked with the mercury switch that detects movement. I only have 2 Lo/Jack transponder fobs so using that third key would set off the Lo/Jack when it did not detect the fob.

Okay, I tried doing the same things as before with the original two keys. After the chime (after about 10 seconds) with the second original key, I removed that key and immediately inserted the new key and started it. It stalled after about 2 seconds. The SIMS light stayed on for about 10 seconds, then blinked off for one second and then came on again. It never went out and there was no chime. The spare key still does not work. I am convinced there is a detail that I'm missing and the instructions in the manual are obviously wrong.

I do appreciate everyone's help and patience.

Ray

rchung813

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have also tried the same method everyone has posted and I am also not able to program the new FOB key. My key is the same as my original, it has the same IC#, P/N#, and FCC ID #. I do not think it's the key, but it's how the process of setting up the key is not working.

07Latitude

Reaction score
Again, I programmed the non-remote key for my 07 with zero issues, and didn't even know where the SKIS light was. The key having a remote has no bearing on programming. Mine is an early 07 - I got one of the first Latitude editions produced. Maybe yours are later models and something changed there?

If the part no's match, then you're fine there.

Now, you guys are trying to start the vehicle on the 3rd step? You shoudl be leaving the key ON, NOT starting it. The vehicle is never to be started during programming.

indianrefining

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Again, I programmed the non-remote key for my 07 with zero issues, and didn't even know where the SKIS light was. The key having a remote has no bearing on programming. Mine is an early 07 - I got one of the first Latitude editions produced. Maybe yours are later models and something changed there?

If the part no's match, then you're fine there.

Now, you guys are trying to start the vehicle on the 3rd step? You shoudl be leaving the key ON, NOT starting it. The vehicle is never to be started during programming.

Beats me why people are having so much trouble. Like you, I programmed a non-remote key (as well as a remote key) for both our '05 and for our '07. It's just a matter of following the instructions.

rchung813

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The key on the ON position and the iginition was not started/car was not started. odd..

mster

Reaction score
Well, I decided to take the jeep and the keys to a locksmith today to try to see what the problem is.

Well, I did find out that I was doing the programming right. After the locksmith tried doing the programming himself several times, he called their supplier to find out if something had changed. What he was told was that there was a change in the frequency being used in the 2007 Libertys and that even though my key had all the right numbers, the frequency is wrong. He said that they have a different strattec (sp?) key for the 2007 cars because of the frequency change.

So, unfortunately, that appears to be the answer, although it was not what I wanted to hear. So now I guess I have this key that is no good.

-Ray

07Latitude

Reaction score
Well, I decided to take the jeep and the keys to a locksmith today to try to see what the problem is.

Well, I did find out that I was doing the programming right. After the locksmith tried doing the programming himself several times, he called their supplier to find out if something had changed. What he was told was that there was a change in the frequency being used in the 2007 Libertys and that even though my key had all the right numbers, the frequency is wrong. He said that they have a different strattec (sp?) key for the 2007 cars because of the frequency change.

So, unfortunately, that appears to be the answer, although it was not what I wanted to hear. So now I guess I have this key that is no good.

-Ray

I find this hard to believe. I'll check into this issue, but the key I ordered is designed for 05-07 Liberty vehicles and is a Strattec blank (the OEM supplier of the locksets).

07Latitude

Reaction score
Taken from a 2007-specific original Strattec manual:

Keys:
Code:
Liberty 2005-08
[b]Strattec#:[/b] 692352 Prog: OBP-6 Code-Seeker [b]OEM:[/b] 05134937AA
[b]Strattec#:[/b] 692960 Prog: OBP-6 Code-Seeker [b]OEM:[/b] 05134937AA

692352 is the non-remote keyblank for 2005 through 2008 Jeeps (Patriot, Liberty, GC, etc).

692960 is the ROCK head keyblank for the same vehicles.

The 2006 model year catalog also has the same part numbers for keys listed.

Unless this change for '07 is a midyear thing, it doesn't exist per Strattec's documentation...and...if anyone should know, it should be the manufacturer of the locksets and keys for these vehicles.

Here is Strattec's programming procedure as well:
Programming:
ON-BOARD
PROGRAM 6 1998+ CHRYSLER, DODGE
1999+ JEEP
ADD KEY (Must have two working Sentry Keys):
1. Put one of the two current keys into the ignition
and turn to the ON position.
2. After the key has been in the ON position for at
least three seconds — but no more than 15 seconds
— turn the key back to the OFF position.
3. Take the key out, and put in the second current key,
turning it to the ON position, all within 15 seconds.
The second key cannot be the same as the first key.
4. After ten seconds, a theft alarm light will illuminate
and a single chime will sound. This confirms entry
into “Customer Programming Mode”.
5. Within 60 seconds, turn key OFF and remove
the current key.
6. Put a new key into the ignition and turn to the
ON position.
7. After ten seconds, a single chime will sound.
The theft alarm light will turn off. Wait three
seconds and turn key OFF.
8. Repeat these steps for additional keys.

mster

Reaction score
I'm open to other suggestions as I'd gladly like to get this key to work. The locksmith did confirm that I was doing the procedure correctly, although he did say that with some other makes of cars, the mfr can also have you do something else, like pull up on the brake handle, etc.

With regard to the keys, I was told that the information that they had was received within the last week.

Ray

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just a thought,since DC deleated many self check items on the '07's(like ****** dipstick) they may have also made programming key fobs/keys a dealer done item.I know GM has many vehicles that require the use of the GM's TechII to program some keys and key fobs so maybe the '07 KJ's need the DRBIII to program there key fobs,not out of the realm of possibility.

indianrefining

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just a thought,since DC deleated many self check items on the '07's(like ****** dipstick) they may have also made programming key fobs/keys a dealer done item.I know GM has many vehicles that require the use of the GM's TechII to program some keys and key fobs so maybe the '07 KJ's need the DRBIII to program there key fobs,not out of the realm of possibility.

I have a 2007. I programmed both a non-remote key and a remote key by following the instructions in the owner's manual with no problems. (As an aside, I did make the mistake of first buying a remote key which one or two numbers different on the back. That one would not work.)

07Latitude

Reaction score
I have a 2007. I programmed both a non-remote key and a remote key by following the instructions in the owner's manual with no problems. (As an aside, I did make the mistake of first buying a remote key which one or two numbers different on the back. That one would not work.)

I too mentioned a few times in this thread I programmed a key no problem on my 07. Granted mine was a non-remote key, but this is irrelevant to the issue.

Maybe we should start looking at build dates for the vehicles? This is getting crazy :p

mster

Reaction score
Have you looked to see if your evic allows for the buttons on the key to be programmed? My evic does not have that indicated, and I haven't been able to do that either, via the instructions

Ray

mster

Reaction score
update

Just to offer an update, I bought a strattec key for a 2007 Liberty and was able to program it, the first time I tried. So something must have changed with the keys.

07Latitude

Reaction score
Just to offer an update, I bought a strattec key for a 2007 Liberty and was able to program it, the first time I tried. So something must have changed with the keys.

Maybe it is with the remote keys. I assume by strattec key you mean a non-remote key, correct? If i wasn't broke, I'd order a replacement remote key and try it on mine just to see. Interesting issue...

mster

Reaction score
Yes, it was a non-remote key.

By the way, the light never did flash, but I did get the chime when the programming was done, which never happened with the remote keys.