Adapter spacers ?

Discussion in 'Tires / Wheels' started by little green machine, Mar 27, 2020.

1. little green machine

little green machine New Member KJ Supporting Member

can I use adapter spacers to go from 5x4.5 to 5x5 , in order to put a set of rubicon rims and tires on my kJ (lifted 2.5” soon). 255x75x17

2. duderz7

duderz7 Full Access Member

Yes you can, but you should not, you'll likely end up with way to much offset and all the problems that go with it. It's best to just get proper wheels that fit.

3. tommudd

tommudd Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Starting out bad from the get go
    First thing get wheels with the right width and proper backspacing without using adapters
    Next , so you want to T R Y and run a 32 inch tall tire on 2.5 inches of lift and stock gearing
    May I suggest reading through various posts, pick a wheel and tire size that actually works and works well

I run Wrangler Rubicon wheels ( NOT RIMS, rim is the outside circle of metal that is just part of a wheel ) on 2 of mine, but from 03-06, 4.5 inch bolt pattern, backspacing is 5 inches so works great

2 of mine are running those as I mentioned, one with 32s and 4.10s with 4 inches of JBA coilover lift
    the other running Moabs is running 265-70-16s and 4.10s on 2.5 inches of JBA coilover lift
    the 4.10d 03 with 31s ( 265-70-16s ) is perfect as far as power and mileage etc IMO

Last edited: Mar 27, 2020
    LibertyTC likes this.
  4. tommudd

and , silence, except for birds chirpping and leprachans singing softly in the background

5. little green machine

little green machine New Member KJ Supporting Member

TYVM for all the great information.

6. Daniel D Dinkeldein

Daniel D Dinkeldein New Member

Let me see rims - wheels
    I guess it must be politically correct
    In some areas they say soda and others they say pop. Which is right

7. lfhoward

lfhoward Full Access Member

Back in the 19-teens and 1920's cars came with wooden wheels with spokes. Those spokes supported a U-shaped metal band or rim, which was the surface the rubber tire was fitted to. These days I think most people use the terms rims & wheels interchangeably, since they are both one piece now, though Tom is right about the outside part of a wheel technically being the rim. This is at least my understanding of where the separate term comes from. (I have always liked antique cars.)

Example of a car with separate wheels, rims, & tires: (Stanley Steamer)
    [​IMG]

tommudd likes this.
  8. tommudd

LOL pop and soda are completely different things that a wheel or just a rim
    pop and soda are both talking about a sugarly drink that comes in a bottle or a can most times
    Above is a good example of a rim, but since we are in modern day here , it is a wheel
    Just like people asking about swapping to 4.10 gearing using something from a 4 cylinder gasser and calling them axles
    What they are wanting is a differential, axles go into the diff , so ask for a 4.10 differential
    Using the correct terms for parts will get you better answers and not confuse people in the long run
    Just like would you ask for the part number for greaseable lower ball joints for a 48 Hudson Commodore , whilest you are actually wanting them for a 2004 Jeep Liberty ?

lfhoward likes this.
  9. lfhoward

lfhoward Full Access Member

Unless you go down south and everything is a coke. What kind of coke do you want? Root beer, orange, sprite, ok. :p

Good point though. Got to have the search terms correct for someplace like http://www.car-part.com.