AC Pump running all the time?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hockeygoon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 2005 Liberty Sport. When I have the climate control in any position (heat, vent, defrost) the AC pumps kicks on and off. The A/C button is not engaged (the light works). Any ideas?

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
The AC unit does cycle on and off all the time, its made that way to remove moisture from the cabin

Leeann

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've found that the only 2 positions it doesn't engage in are floor only and recirc. I actually hate that feature; if I wanted the compressor to run in the other positions, I'd push in the snowflake button for it to do so.

Birdman330

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I caught mine once running even on the floor, through when I moved to vent/floor then back to floor it quit. Though this is only the second time the climate control has acted up. So it could have just been the fact I went from defrost/floor to floor and it didn't fully switch over.

chuckles

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Glad my 2004 is not the only one that does this. I did notice that when on feet/face or feet only I don't hear it. My f250 does this too I've noticed.

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
I used to have to cut the A/C on in my old Tracker to dehumidify the inside. While I would like to have a choice, in my case it would probably be on a lot in the Jeep anyway.

Hockeygoon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've found that the only 2 positions it doesn't engage in are floor only and recirc. I actually hate that feature; if I wanted the compressor to run in the other positions, I'd push in the snowflake button for it to do so.

Mine is running while on floor. I wonder why they even put the A/C button on the climate control if it doesn't mean anything.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
There is a difference between just cycling on and off to remove moisture and then having it on to cool

chuckles

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mines an 04 so I don't have a button. I have half my options say cool/ac and the other half of my selector wheel is for heat/non ac. But it has same locations on both halves. A pretty unique setup I think as I am used used to having an AC button and only one set of selections.

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
There is a difference between just cycling on and off to remove moisture and then having it on to cool

What is the difference? Is it triggered by a sensor of some sort, or run at a different level? I've wondered about this since I noticed that with the thermostat all the way to its coldest point that the air is not as cold without the A/C button pressed, even though the compressor is theoretically "on". Can a vehicle have a two-stage unit? :shrug:

Leeann

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine is running while on floor. I wonder why they even put the A/C button on the climate control if it doesn't mean anything.

Yeah, just realized I said floor when I meant vent. Floor only, compressor on. Floor and vent, compressor on. Both defrost positions, compressor on. It's just the first two positions on the dial that don't run the compressor unless you hit the snowflake.

Latest posts

Members online