AC compressor condenser and dryer cost

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Yudo

Reaction score
Hi,

I just purchased an 05 liberty with 2.8L Diesel engine.
The A/C is not cooling.
The repair shop, after running diagnostic, told me that the compressor is not engaging and that its not an electrical issue.

They are now heading down the path of replacing my Compressor, Condenser, and Dryer so that the new components will carry their warranty.

They told me that these parts, in my car/engine configuration, are very "special / unique" and that they were only able to get them from the dealer.
The quoted the parts for me at:
1. Compressor $899
2. Condenser $235
3. Dryer $78

Reading through this forum I found lots of experts and useful information.
I would greatly appreciate inputs on the following two questions:

1. Are the parts prices above in range of "normal" or am I getting ripped off here?

2. Reading the forum, I saw that there is a potential of only the clutch failing. And that potentially in such cases, only the clutch can be replaced.
So my questions is: how can I tell if its only a clutch failure, or if the entire compressor has failed?

2.a and if its just the clutch, what parts do I need, and where would be a good place to start looking for them?

Thank you ever so much for any piece of helpful information you can provide me with this very expensive fix I am facing... :biggun:

Amit.

eyehatetofu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure if it is the same for the diesels but when the clutch fails the whole compressor needs to be replaced. And shops usually wont warranty a compressor unless everything else is replaced as well.

As far as parts, Rock Auto has aftermarket parts of everything you are looking for. Not sure of the quality of the parts though. They have Four Seasons new and remanned compressors; I have never heard of them.

And good luck. I have been having problems with mine as well. I would steer clear of Chrysler remanned compressors. I'm on my third one and it is failing (my dealership wont warranty it until it completely fails). Supposedly if you get a Chrysler unit with the part # starting with RL it is, "supposedly", better than the remanned compressors they were putting out; if you go that route. It applies to all Chrysler remanned comps from what the dealership told me, as they all have been problematic recently.

Porkchop

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Didn't know that replaced my cluch and coil pack two years ago and been using it ever since didn't know I had to change the compressor too.

eyehatetofu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Didn't know that replaced my cluch and coil pack two years ago and been using it ever since didn't know I had to change the compressor too.

I'm just going off of what the dealership and the local shop across the street told me. Both said the same thing. I have read on here as well that the clutch wasn't serviceable / replaceable.

What parts and where did you get them from? Seriously interested as I have been having problems.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The only clutch kits you will find are cheap china made ones,good luck you will need it.

As far as replacing the whole compressor when the clutch fails it's the prefered method since a failing clutch creates alot of heat which is transfered to the compressor shaft and front seal.

Yudo

Reaction score

I am no expert, but I think its the other way around.
If you have a bad compressor, you must change the dryer and the condenser.
Reason being that the old compressor, which failed, may have introduced some debris into the system which in turn can damage the new compressor you are about to put in.

As such, when a new compressor is installed, you will void all warranties that come with it if you don't swap the other components of the system.

Leeann

Full Access Member
Reaction score
NAPA carries new and reman units as well. My CIL (cousin-in-law ;) ) just put a NAPA reman in his '06 Libby. If I remember correctly, it was around $200 for the compressor alone. Can't remember what the receiver/dryer cost him.

Replacing the condenser was not required for the warranty on the compressor.

Porkchop

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tjkj is correct I change mine because the coil failed not really the cluch but I changed the cluch as I had it off to change the coil (broken internal wire). Not going to believe this but I changed it to the early date style clutch and coil pack I got at the Jeep dealership. Now I can hear it CLICK on and off.

Yudo

Reaction score
NAPA carries new and reman units as well. My CIL (cousin-in-law ;) ) just put a NAPA reman in his '06 Libby. If I remember correctly, it was around $200 for the compressor alone. Can't remember what the receiver/dryer cost him.

Replacing the condenser was not required for the warranty on the compressor.

Based on the prices you bring from memory above it seems like I am getting ripped off at $900 for the compressor and $235 for the condenser.

I will be checking that NAPA alternative.
Thx for the heads up.

Yudo

Reaction score
For OEM parts they will be much more expensive then remaned aftermarket parts.

But I see that I get 2 years 24K miles warranty from NAPA.
So what do I care if they are OEM or Remaned ?
If they do the job... I'm happy.

I just check the NAPA alternative, its $373 for the whole kit.
That is instead of almost $1,212 with original new parts.

Its cheaper to do the work twice then to pay for the original parts....

Any reason why I need to invest that much more in the parts?

Latest posts

Members online