ABS/ESP lights- can't get fault code- Just replace sensor?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Malcolm Schweizer

Reaction score
Good day all,

I tried searching before posting, sorry if this has come up before. I did find some posts on the ABS lights but need more info.

I have a 2007 Liberty. The ABS and ESP lights come on, and the "ESP Off" button doesn't turn it off. The light with the swerving vehicle stays on. I tried the starter switch on/off thing to get the fault codes and it didn't do any good. I have ordered a fault code reader which will be here by the end of the week. I am wanting to have the thing fixed this weekend and the dealer can't take me until late next week. The Jeep is for sale and I want to fix this before selling!

So- I checked Rock Auto and found the sensor to be pretty cheap. For under $100 I can just replace all four sensors. I'd be willing to risk that and see if it works, but want to get input from the forum. IF that is the problem, will the fault code reset itself and the light go out? Is there another sensor you can think of that might cause the ESP to go on? I think there is a steering position sensor. My dilemma is I live on an island so I have to have everything shipped. I'd rather order four sensors and be done.

Also, does the on/off three times thing work on a 2007 to get the fault codes? Didn't work on mine.

Oh-and does the EPS only use the sensors on the rear wheels or both axles? Might limit the sensors I have to buy if it's only sensing two wheels.

Thanks in advance,

Malcolm

Billwill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good day all,

I tried searching before posting, sorry if this has come up before. I did find some posts on the ABS lights but need more info.

I have a 2007 Liberty. The ABS and ESP lights come on, and the "ESP Off" button doesn't turn it off. The light with the swerving vehicle stays on. I tried the starter switch on/off thing to get the fault codes and it didn't do any good. I have ordered a fault code reader which will be here by the end of the week. I am wanting to have the thing fixed this weekend and the dealer can't take me until late next week. The Jeep is for sale and I want to fix this before selling!

So- I checked Rock Auto and found the sensor to be pretty cheap. For under $100 I can just replace all four sensors. I'd be willing to risk that and see if it works, but want to get input from the forum. IF that is the problem, will the fault code reset itself and the light go out? Is there another sensor you can think of that might cause the ESP to go on? I think there is a steering position sensor. My dilemma is I live on an island so I have to have everything shipped. I'd rather order four sensors and be done.

Also, does the on/off three times thing work on a 2007 to get the fault codes? Didn't work on mine.

Oh-and does the EPS only use the sensors on the rear wheels or both axles? Might limit the sensors I have to buy if it's only sensing two wheels.

Thanks in advance,

Malcolm

The four time ON/OFF trick with the ignition stopped working from about 2005 models.

You can try cleaning and re-plugging all four sensors to see if that helps before ordering new ones.

Malcolm Schweizer

Reaction score
Good idea. I already ordered them since I have two other Liberty's. I figure I will need them sooner or later. I also ordered a fault code reader for future use.

eyehatetofu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Check the sensor wires. Should be all four corners. I had the same issue and it was the driver's side front ABS sensor. The wire came out of the clip that holds it and rubbed against something causing it to fray. When I was searching what it could be, a couple other things cause the same issue. Not much help, but a quick visual inspection could turn up a damaged sensor wire.