A little Rub

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Blueridge

Reaction score
Hey y'all,

I am new to the site and was wondering if anyone knows where I can get a set of Fender flares for my KJ. I have a 3" lift with 265-70-17's on 17x8 VTEC's. I am getting some slight rubbing on the front drivers side when I turn hard right or left. Not sure if the flares would work or the front bumper replaced?? Any help would be great.

Last edited:

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey y'all,

I am new to the site and was wondering if anyone knows where I can get a set of Fender flares for my KJ. I have a 3" lift with 265-70-17's on 17x8 VTEC's. I am getting some slight rubbing on the front drivers side when I turn hard right or left. Not sure if the flares would work or the front bumper replaced?? Any help would be great.

Unfortunately nobody makes a replacement flair for the KJs. You either gotta fab something or do some trimming.

Blueridge

Reaction score
Ya, it's the outer edge of the plastic fender trim. If I went with an ARB bumper or something similar it would work. But that's about a grand installed and ad's a ton of weight. I go through front brakes and rotors like crazy as it is!

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
First what height are you actually sitting at, 3 inch RC lift doesn't tell us anything at all. You may think you have 3 inches of lift but with a spacer lift and sagged out springs you may only have 2 inches or less. Measure from middle of the wheel to bottom of the flare and let us know.
Second you are running tires that are too big even if you do have 2.5-3 inches of lift, plus add in the fact you're running wheels that are 8 inches wide and more than likely the off set is all wrong Should have at least 4 inches of lift for a 32 inch tire
So just the above is going to make you have lots of rubbing, even a ARB won't totally take care of those problems
On to brakes, my 04 is on its second set of pads in 187,000 miles first set were changed out at 100,000 and I'd say I have a little more weight to slow down:gr_grin:

Last edited:

Luke

Interloper
Reaction score
I wrote that before I saw your back spacing ... I see where you would rub now.
Lot's of examples on here of different bumper trimming. The liners are pretty easy to work with once you get them hot.

u2slow

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm saving up for the ARB bumper.

After the little lady plowed down a deer, the plastic front end - while it looks perfect except for a 4" long crack - must be tweaked because it rubs on that side now.

BTW, that's with stock wheels and the rest of the mods in my sig. Also, if your rubbing is only while backing up, you can limit the 'walk' of the lower control arms with a big washer like I did.

p.s. brakes last exceptionally well with a stick-shift. :D

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.