A/C Compressor Starting and Stopping

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mdmaroon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just bought a used 2002 Liberty and I'm just beginning to learn a little about it.

I've noticed that the air conditioning compressor starts and stops every few seconds. The HVAC control is set to defrost position. Heat control about half-way.

Is this normal? Maybe just a way of condensing moisture out of the air? (The cold A/C heat exchanger would do that).

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Yes normal. It will cycle on and off in a process to remove interior moisture.
If moved two further to left or floor heat it will not engage, but you may see windows fog up again.

Last edited:

mdmaroon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Cool, thanks for the quick reply. Now I just need to figure out how to set the clock on the radio. I can't figure it out! I guess I can google that...

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Ya the Stock clock LOL!
I had to get the owners manual out and get my glasses on to see the two push button pen tip circles on radio face. (right side)

mdmaroon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I found how to set the clock with the help of Google. I just got this Liberty yesterday and I've just been going through it fixing a few minor issues.

1. Blower motor resistor. Fixed
2. Air Bag light stays on. Still working on this one.
3. Needs wheel alignment badly. Taking it in tomorrow...hope it goes okay. The components seem okay, nothing looks bent. The front wheels are angled out slightly when the vehicle is going straight. When making sharp turns, the outside wheel drags and hops along..not good! How the previous owner tolerated this I don't know. Maybe that's why they sold it!

It's a 2002 and I got it for $3500.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Man that is a good price. How many KM on it got photo?
Air bag light often is the connector under the drivers seat/pass seat. Check connections.
Otherwise you got to go into dealer or shop that has Star scan that can read air bag codes that will show fault location/s. Check with dealer regarding the possibility of VIN matching the recall on the airbags.. can be fixed for free?
Hope all goes well in front end/alignment/ too.
Have them check the wheel bearings inspect the ball joints too. Was recall on lowers free replacement at dealer.

Last edited:

mdmaroon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey good idea... I live one block from a dealer, so I'll take my VIN to them and see if there are any recalls that they can do for me.

I checked the wires under the seats and they seem fine. When I buckle my seatbelt, the seatbelt light goes out, so at least that sensor works.

I'm going to check the clockspring next. My horn and cruise control buttons work, so maybe it isn't that. I guess the airbag is an independent connection on the clockspring mechanism, so it could still be bad even if the other stuff works, right?

I have a "***-Com" scan tool for Volkswagens. On VW's it can read all the various control modules, and modify settings too, but it also reads generic OBD2 for any other vehicles. Jeep shows no faults, but of course the airbag wouldn't show up in OBD2 diagnostics, which are primarily for emissions testing.

Too bad nobody makes a tool like that for Jeeps. The ***-Com is better than the dealer scan tool, and is only $349! (plus a laptop computer, but who doesn't have one these days...). I have a VW Golf TDI as well, which is why I have this scan tool.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
I would be very cautious about working around the air bag system and familiarize your self with a factory service manual before going into clock spring work.
Honestly it is best to obtain the air bag fault codes so guessing is not part of the equation.
The dealer can read it while there ask em how much to scan it? Maybe they do it for ya for nothing..ya never know....

mdmaroon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would be very cautious about working around the air bag system and familiarize your self with a factory service manual before going into clock spring work.
Honestly it is best to obtain the air bag fault codes so guessing is not part of the equation.
The dealer can read it while there ask em how much to scan it? Maybe they do it for ya for nothing..ya never know....

Don't worry, I trained as an automotive mechanic years ago so I know what I'm doing. Worked in the industry for a while, but then moved on to a better paying job as an industrial mechanic.

I have to disconnect the battery and wait at least 60 seconds for the air bag controller capacitor to drain. Should be totally safe then. Also, I'll keep my face out of the line of fire because I have a healthy fear of airbags (thanks to my college instructor and his horror stories)!

To answer your earlier question, it is a 2002 with 197,000km. It has rebuilt status, but seems fine. Exterior looks like new, interior is good other than a bit of normal wear. Engine and trans seem really good. Tires are okay. Other than the wheel alignment issue it drives great. The steering components seem good. When I twist the tie rods back and forth they don't have any unusual looseness or sloppiness. They just turn smoothly and feel like new.

I'm pretty sure the wheel alignment is just going to require adjusting the toe. If I turn the wheels straight and then look at the vehicle from the front it appears that the wheels are both pointing outwards slightly. Not normal, especially if you can literally see it by eye. I could probably do a better wheel alignment just by eyeballing it! I have been trained to do wheel alignments, but I can't fit an alignment machine in my condo, so I'll just take it to the experts and hope they don't rob me blind.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.