A arms are beating up my struts

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sydbro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got a Frankenlift about 4years ago and didnt really notice the contact until recently. I only put a few hundred miles a year on it as it is just a fun recreational vehicle. Its been snowing here alot so I have been using it to go to work and have noticed the "banging" from the front end. I took a look and noticed the arms on both sides are making contact with the strut. Is it possible the shocks have sagged and that is what is causing the contact? I have OME 927 but have and ARB front bumper with wench. Would replacing with new shocks help? Any other fixes without having to buy JBA arms?

Thanks for any info

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What Troy said.

The reason the arms are hitting is because the lift is still so high - especially since you have a Frankenlift. They are higher than a standard OME 927 lift - so there are three possible answers to your issue.

1) Do nothing and put up with the banging
2) Drive the crap out of it so the springs settle a bit and give you a bit more clearance between the arms and the coils, or
3) Buy a set of JBA A-arms, have perfect alignment and no more contact between the arms and the coils.

Personally, I'd do both 2 and 3 - drive the crap out of it with a new set of JBA arms and wear a s**t-eating grin from now till the cows come home :icon_cool:

Bob

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
As has been mentioned ......JBA arms and even then you still may get some contact on some larger bumps etc One of the issues you have with Frankenlifts

sydbro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys.....I figured JBA arms were going to be the solution. If I hold off on getting them for awhile, will the continuing contact cause any other damage? The banging drives me nuts but the headache of installing the new arms is keeping me from doing it. Also I took a look and forgot that I added 3 conduit nuts under the clevis....is it accurate to assume that if I remove these that might lower the front enough to resolve the contact issue?

Snail Farmer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It was my understanding that you never want to do a clevis lift in conjunction with a Frankenlift. I would take the conduit nuts out, but you'll need another alignment when you do that.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks guys.....I figured JBA arms were going to be the solution. If I hold off on getting them for awhile, will the continuing contact cause any other damage? The banging drives me nuts but the headache of installing the new arms is keeping me from doing it. Also I took a look and forgot that I added 3 conduit nuts under the clevis....is it accurate to assume that if I remove these that might lower the front enough to resolve the contact issue?

Way too much, Franky alone is at the max even with JBA UCAs when first installed. After 50-60,000 miles possibly installing a clevis "if needed" but never from the get go. Remove them ASAP, get UCAs installed ( easy to do really ) and new alignment and then you'll be good

sydbro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I put the conduit nuts on about a year or so after I installed the lift but at that point I only put a few hundred miles on the lift. I put the nuts on after I installed the ARB bumper and wench anticipating some sag from the added weight. I have taken it wheeling several times since then and not had any problems (knock on wood). Aside from the risk of broken CVs, are there any other issues I should be looking out for with this set up?

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I want to know how much his "wench" weighs ? :burnout:
Just joking
but with a fairly low mileage Frankenlift even with a ARB and a winch shouldn't of needed to add 3/4 of an inch more lift
But yes measure and see where you are if over 22.25-22.5 then still back to JBA arms

sydbro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Haha....well the "wench" does weigh it down a bit....but I put her on a diet so maybe that was my problem all along....from center of hub to bottom of fender flare is only 21inches....I have seen bigger numbers but if you guys say I'm pushing it .....then out go the conduit nuts....I'm just looking for advice.

Thanks guys

Snail Farmer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hmm something doesn't sound right, there. I'm sitting at higher than 21" without a Frankenlift. Not sure why yours is so low.

sydbro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's why I put the conduit nuts in....I figured I was on the low end of the lift...not sure why I'm sitting lower than others.....don't really care if I'm an inch or two lower if it cures the a arm contact

Luke

Interloper
Reaction score
Mine is a year and a half (50k) old at an easy 22.5" ...

and a clevis lift to that height (21") should not cause you any problems... that's only 2" of lift.

Maybe pics are in order?

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I've never seen a Franky at that height with lower miles, interesting. Ones with 75,000-80,000 or so maybe

Latest posts

Members online