90k (or around there) service

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

matthewheld

Reaction score
I didn't put the 90,000 on all myself either - and I can bet those plugs were original when I changed them. They came out ok. A penatrating oil can't hurt, but I would only use that after I blow out the plug hole with compressed air.

There's an 0-ring seal at the plug connection that's supposed to keep out dust & debris. But I could tell they don't do the job as well as they should. Penetrating oil could dissolve any contamination in the spark plug hole, and leak them into the combustion chamber when you pull the plug.

I didn't replace the o-rings (although I should), but I did generously lubricate them with a stick silicone-based lubricant.

offrovering

Full Access Member
Reaction score
what anti-freeze did you use? assuming you kept to the 50/50 mix, and you did it yourself, or did you buy pre mixed?

matthewheld

Reaction score
I used the expensive Mopar stuff and their flush/additive. I don't know if it's any better than the other anitfreezes out there, but I was at the dealership at the time, so I bought it.

I did not buy the pre-mixed stuff - but I did mix at a strong 50/50 mix. I flushed with distilled water, then added the anitfreeze - then ran the engine to mix the coolant - then drained off enough to completely add both gallons; draining the coolant into the empty antifreeze container to carry with me on safari.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Use GO5 coolant,our KJ's are made to run it,Zerex makes it and can get at most parts stores.GO5 does not mix with other coolants and does not come premixed.The 3.7 V-6 cooling syatem holds 14qts of coolant(dry) and about 8qts drain and refill.There are 2 little allen head plugs on the front sides of the block that drain the block of coolant.

As far as getting the plugs out do not use any stuff like PB blaster,like others said blow out the plug hole with air before removing the plug,and the most important thing is the engine needs to be cool otherwise you'll pull the threads right out of the aluminum head.

offrovering

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thanks, I am on the search for G05 but am struggling finding it in parts stores around me. I think I am just going to do a rad drain and refill, does the block need to be drained if I am putting G05 back in?

I have never had issues getting plugs out on other trucks, but everyone is mentioning the amount of corrosion which started worrying me. I havent changed on the kj, so the individual coil packs are even new to me.

offrovering

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am not trying to beat this to death, I promise.

The plugs were no problem changing, pretty easy with those coils, much nicer than having wires and a coil pack tucked away. and the old plugs looked great and came out very easy, I think they were original, I was shocked with their condition honestly.

so coolant, I cannot find G-05 anywhere, no one carries it, valvoline will not sell it retail without a service job. can I not use the prestone extended life, either 50/50 or mix it myself?

You must be registered for see images

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am not trying to beat this to death, I promise.

The plugs were no problem changing, pretty easy with those coils, much nicer than having wires and a coil pack tucked away. and the old plugs looked great and came out very easy, I think they were original, I was shocked with their condition honestly.

so coolant, I cannot find G-05 anywhere, no one carries it, valvoline will not sell it retail without a service job. can I not use the prestone extended life, either 50/50 or mix it myself?

You must be registered for see images
DO NOT MIX DEX-COOL WITH OEM COOLANT(GO5),it will be a bad thing.I got my GO5(Zerex) at Advance Auto Parts,seen it at Checkers(Kragen) and Auto Zone also.It's about $10.99-$11.99 a gallon.

offrovering

Full Access Member
Reaction score
damn alright, guess I will go back out. Advanced doesnt have it near me, they say they dont carry it. Murray's is the same. Auto Zone said they used to but do not have it anymore. Valvoline, well I went through that. Napa didnt have it. I am stuck with either Mopar or trying to get this **** ordered, so frustrating that this is so difficult.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ive never seen it local either.

I dont think that is Dex-Cool tjkj. I got some and it just says 'dexcool approved' on the back. Doesnt say anything about actually being Dexcool. It does say 'approved for all Chrysler engines' though.

offrovering

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I dont think that is Dex-Cool tjkj. I got some and it just says 'dexcool approved' on the back. Doesnt say anything about actually being Dexcool. It does say 'approved for all Chrysler engines' though.

thats what I am wondering myself. The bottle never says it is dex cool, just says dex cool approved. the guy at valvoline told me to just buy anything with orange cap, he said it didnt need to be anything specific.

so as long as it is ethylene glycol based it should be fine, according to the manual

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score

It's actually a OAT(oraganic acid technology) and is not to be mixed with HOAT/GO5(hybrid organic acid technology).And actually OAT coolants are not approved for any Chrysler vehicles and Ford vehicles.Many poeple don't know this and that's why you see alot of cooling system failures and engine failures alot sooner then older vehicles.Granted you don't want to use Ethilyne Glycol either(the green stuff) unless you flush the coolant every year since it will turn into acid after that because of our alloy heads and cast iron block.You may get away with it for a little while if you completely drain the entire cooling system,just remember universal doesn't mean anything in the automotive world.

The panel determined that one reasonable consumer takeaway from the "all makes, all models" claim is that Prestone meets any required specifications established by vehicle manufacturers.
Prestone utilizes Organic Acid Technology (OAT). Ford and DaimlerChrysler vehicles of recent vintage have antifreeze/coolant that utilizes Hybrid Organic Acid Technology (HOAT), and Ford and DaimlerChrysler specifications call for HOAT antifreeze/coolants in their vehicles. Ford and DaimlerChrysler account for a significant number of vehicle sales in the United States, and their specifications requiring HOAT antifreeze/coolants, as well as their warnings to consumers about possible damage if OAT antifreeze/coolants are used, are enough to establish that the "meets manufacturer specifications" message has not been substantiated.

Decision
The panel recommends that Honeywell discontinue its claims that Prestone can be used in vehicles of "all makes, all models," and also that Honeywell discontinue its claims that Prestone can be mixed with any other antifreeze/coolant.

Following pieces taken from this articale from the NAD dispute to Honeywell's claim of "all makes,all models".
http://www.gohtsn.com/article_321.shtml

Last edited:

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thats what I am wondering myself. The bottle never says it is dex cool, just says dex cool approved. the guy at valvoline told me to just buy anything with orange cap, he said it didnt need to be anything specific.

so as long as it is ethylene glycol based it should be fine, according to the manual
The guy working at Valvoline is a idiot,probally has zero experiance with vehicles besides changing oil and draining/refilling a raditor(you can teach a monkey to do those).He probally doesn't know about electrolisis either,a very big problem with ethylne glycol coolant if not changed every year in a engine wuth a cast iron block and alloy heads.

offrovering

Full Access Member
Reaction score
unless I am reading the manual wrong, these need ethylene glycol - I think you are referring to propylene glycol as being a not so good choice.

CAUTION: Use of Propylene Glycol based coolants
is not recommended, as they provide less freeze
protection and less corrosion protection.

The use of aluminum cylinder blocks, cylinder
heads, and water pumps requires special corrosion
protection. Mopart Antifreeze/Coolant, 5
Year/100,000 Mile Formula (MS-9769), or the equivalent
ethylene glycol base coolant with organic corrosion
inhibitors (called HOAT, for Hybrid Organic
Additive Technology) is recommended.

This coolant
offers the best engine cooling without corrosion when
mixed with 50% Ethylene Glycol and 50% distilled
water to obtain a freeze point of -37°C (-35°F). If it
loses color or becomes contaminated, drain, flush,
and replace with fresh properly mixed coolant solution.

matthewheld

Reaction score
Propylene Glycol is used:

In food – Cake mixes, salad dressings, soft drinks, popcorn, food colorings, fat-free ice cream and sour cream. It also protects food from freezing and helps as a preservative.
In toiletries and cosmetics – Lotions, creams, some baby wipes, shampoos, antiperspirants, cosmetics, lipstick, lubricants
And specific to the soap making and toiletry making industry, it is also used as a carrier in fragrance oils and in many melt and pour soap bases.
In other household items – Room deodorizers, cleaners, sanitizers and yes, new "non-toxic" and "safe" automotive antifreezes

Propylene glycol is our friend. It is the neighbor next door we reluctantly borrow a cup of Sweet & Sour sauce from. It's the girl we wake up next to after binge drinking at the local 7-Eleven.

To proove this, I'm actually drinking a glass of propylene glycol-based anti freeze right now. Not so bad, actually. Well, like I was saying, ooh, I gotta go...(blarg)

offrovering

Full Access Member
Reaction score
off to f'n chrysler to get Mopar stuff then - this is a joke, can't believe it is this difficult

Latest posts

Members online