5W20 oil....interesting

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Status
Not open for further replies.

J-Thompson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OP
I had a '65 Ford Galaxie with a 289 and I ran 10W40
No clue what it called for but I had no problems with knocking ,that I could hear

TBJ
"sticks and stones"
Remember that you can not call people names or say things that may rub people the wrong way in public or they will get butt hurt
it is ok for them to do it to the likes of you and me as we have a "reputation"

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Haha I love oil threads! They never get old.

The funny thing is it doesnt matter what forum youre on there are always oil threads! You should see some of them on boat forums. It gets pretty intense on those. \\:D/

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, maybe you should tell that to the factory engineers who wrote my FSM. It must be awesome to know everything.

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m250/zrxkawboy/oilFSM.jpg
Okay you win this one,should have stated "widely used" as multi viscosity oils where being introduced at about that same time,1954 I believe was the starting year for it.But back then it was not widely used and very expensive,kinda like the price difference of the wallmart brand oil and amsoil in today's market.

ThunderbirdJunkie

Bronze Supporter
Reaction score
TBJ
"sticks and stones"
Remember that you can not call people names or say things that may rub people the wrong way in public or they will get butt hurt
it is ok for them to do it to the likes of you and me as we have a "reputation"

True enough. Gotta keep The Man from keepin ya down :p
Haha I love oil threads! They never get old.

The funny thing is it doesnt matter what forum youre on there are always oil threads! You should see some of them on boat forums. It gets pretty intense on those. \\:D/

Can't disagree with that:rolleyes::D

loves_off_roading

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Somebody should kick TBJ off this forum. He's the only person I do not like on here because he loves upsetting people.

I'm sick of him doing this to everyone on this forum
(kneel)

Last edited:

kb0nly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Cause I don't like warranty work,rip off for techs.Plus I get paid well working at Firestone,I'm projected to clear $75,000(before taxes) this year and it's been slow.

Nice attitude...

And i can see why your going to clear $75k looking at the prices you usually quote for stuff.

kb0nly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I hate dealing with customers,99% are idiots and that is being nice.

I want this for free,I want that for free,that is to much,I'm not paying that.

No wonder why you work for a tire shop.

Seriously, not trying to pick a fight here just stating the obvious. You would last about one day, maybe two, working for a shop where i live. Its all about customer service and word of mouth advertising, you don't have the reputation you don't have the business. All there is too it.

I realize customers can ask too much sometimes, really i do, been there done that. But sometimes just a few minutes of going out of your way can make or break you. I have had people come to me that said the only reason they did is because person X told person Y and then they told them.

We have one shop here that literally opened and died in less than a month. Why? Bad customer service. Guy did awesome exhaust work and thats all his shop did, he was an artist with a welder. But he was a total ass to people and padded his bill pretty good. Down to the last nut and bolt.

yellocoyote

Administrator
Reaction score
If there's actually a real topic here somewhere, let's stick to it. Otherwise I gotta shut it down.

Play nice.

(popcorn)

jnaut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I hate dealing with customers,99% are idiots and that is being nice.

I want this for free,I want that for free,that is to much,I'm not paying that.

That's why we jeepkj forum members keep trying to do our own work. doughpoke.gif

loves_off_roading

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yeah I agree with kbOnly. Saying that 99.9% of customers are idiots is a bit harsh. I do work in a grocery store (some people don't make as much as you do) and there are some really mean/stupid customers. But most of them are okay.

TBJ I gota admit that pic is pretty darn funny

ThunderbirdJunkie

Bronze Supporter
Reaction score
yeah I agree with kbOnly. Saying that 99.9% of customers are idiots is a bit harsh. I do work in a grocery store (some people don't make as much as you do) and there are some really mean/stupid customers. But most of them are okay.

LOR, the big thing is, mechanics over the years have been blasted for this and that by the general public and go into the shop IMMEDIATELY assuming they're going to be screwed.

When John Q. Public's Nissan Maxima with the VQ35DE in it (that has been rattling for two years) quits running, he knows Mr. Big Bad Mechanic is going to bend him over.
$6,000 for an engine? Yeah, that's a lot. Mr. Big Bad Mechanic doesn't need to charge $6,000. But that's John Q. Public's fault that it blew up, right? He should've just gotten the timing chain/tensioners replaced, dealt with the little butt-pucker of $800 and change rather than being out $6,000.

This is a true story, btw.

Or maybe Darryl ***********, who thought oil changes being needed were just a myth perpetuated by the oil companies.
He bought his 2003 Cavalier with the 2.2 Ecotec I4 new. Got the oil changed at 3,000 miles only because it was free. Never got it changed again.
For some ODD reason it made a strange noise for about 5 seconds, then just quit running. Dunno why?
He calls a tow truck. Tow truck gleefully charges him $150 to tow him 5 miles to the shop. Does Darryl *********** cry because of an OUTRAGEOUS charge? Nope.
But he ******* up a storm when he's presented with a $3,800 estimate to put a USED engine in his 2003 Chevy Cavalier. Mr. Big Bad Mechanic is ripping him off!

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No wonder why you work for a tire shop.

Seriously, not trying to pick a fight here just stating the obvious. You would last about one day, maybe two, working for a shop where i live. Its all about customer service and word of mouth advertising, you don't have the reputation you don't have the business. All there is too it.

I realize customers can ask too much sometimes, really i do, been there done that. But sometimes just a few minutes of going out of your way can make or break you. I have had people come to me that said the only reason they did is because person X told person Y and then they told them.

We have one shop here that literally opened and died in less than a month. Why? Bad customer service. Guy did awesome exhaust work and thats all his shop did, he was an artist with a welder. But he was a total ass to people and padded his bill pretty good. Down to the last nut and bolt.
I have zero ability to effect prices(and my pay) at the shop I work at,and I rarely ever have to deal with customers.Techs rarely ever interact with customers,though I do have about 50 or so customers that only specify I only work on there vehicles and probably half I have never seen in person but know there vehicles.I keep my mouth shut when around customers,I'm rather blunt so I leave the talking to the service writers after I tell them what is needed and not needed(then yell at them when they get it backwards sometimes).

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
LOR, the big thing is, mechanics over the years have been blasted for this and that by the general public and go into the shop IMMEDIATELY assuming they're going to be screwed.

When John Q. Public's Nissan Maxima with the VQ35DE in it (that has been rattling for two years) quits running, he knows Mr. Big Bad Mechanic is going to bend him over.
$6,000 for an engine? Yeah, that's a lot. Mr. Big Bad Mechanic doesn't need to charge $6,000. But that's John Q. Public's fault that it blew up, right? He should've just gotten the timing chain/tensioners replaced, dealt with the little butt-pucker of $800 and change rather than being out $6,000.

This is a true story, btw.

Or maybe Darryl ***********, who thought oil changes being needed were just a myth perpetuated by the oil companies.
He bought his 2003 Cavalier with the 2.2 Ecotec I4 new. Got the oil changed at 3,000 miles only because it was free. Never got it changed again.
For some ODD reason it made a strange noise for about 5 seconds, then just quit running. Dunno why?
He calls a tow truck. Tow truck gleefully charges him $150 to tow him 5 miles to the shop. Does Darryl *********** cry because of an OUTRAGEOUS charge? Nope.
But he ******* up a storm when he's presented with a $3,800 estimate to put a USED engine in his 2003 Chevy Cavalier. Mr. Big Bad Mechanic is ripping him off!
Yep most do not know what it takes to be a tech these day's.I work my a$$ off for my pay,rarely ever get to take a lunch let alone take a break for 10-12 hours a day.Try working on up to 4-5 vehicles at the same time and remember what went where and what still needs to be tightened and rechecked.It's not easy,just think it's like a emergency room in New York City on a friday night.Everyone wants there vehicle fixed now.

loves_off_roading

Full Access Member
Reaction score
TBJ I do hear ya but some do rip people off. I recently had my transmission fluid and coolant changed at my local Jeep dealer. They low balled me each time and I had to add some ATF+4 and distilled water.

Also my regular mechanic told me that the 3.7L is crap and I should sell my Liberty. But yet a lot of you guys on hear have over 150k on yours. And he really ticked me off when he put a Mopar oil filter on my KJ. I replaced that within a week out of fear that it might be a fram.

Basically the big thing I want to say is that if you can find a mechanic who you can trust and who does the job right stick with them.

ThunderbirdJunkie

Bronze Supporter
Reaction score
158,000 here.
Nothing terribly WRONG with the Mopar/Fram filters. It's just that others do a MUCH better job.
Dealers are not part of Chrysler. They are only as good, in most cases, as the service manager makes them be.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep a good service manager and good service writers are key.I have found the best service writers came up through the ranks and once wrenched themselfs so they know what they are talking about unlike most service writers.

I'm lucky our general manager/service manager was a tech for 20 years before getting his own store,great guy to work for.

jnaut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Since we're on this subject, and tjkj you work at a firestone, is that fuel system cleaning firestone offers worth it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Members online