4WD shifting issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Lately I've noticed that my KJ has hesitated to shift out of 4 full time. It feels like it gets hung up in 4 part time, it binds and stuff. It shifts just fine into 4full. I did some research on Google, and it seems that the linkage may need to be adjusted and some bushings that may be worn?

Any thoughts? Thanks.

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
HJ, mine does that too. What seems to help is to frequently pop it into Full Time 4WD and drive around for a day or so - keeps things lubed up and operating smoothly. (For those of you who don't have Full Time 4WD don't do this unless you're on gravel, sand, mud or snow. You'll leave your driveline in your rear view mirror...)

When I stay in 2WD and don't shift into Full Time for a while is when it seems to get "stuck" in Part Time when shifting into and out of 4WD. Give it a try - it works for me.

Bob

CzarKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
HJ, mine does that too. What seems to help is to frequently pop it into Full Time 4WD and drive around for a day or so - keeps things lubed up and operating smoothly. (For those of you who don't have Full Time 4WD don't do this unless you're on gravel, sand, mud or snow. You'll leave your driveline in your rear view mirror...)

When I stay in 2WD and don't shift into Full Time for a while is when it seems to get "stuck" in Part Time when shifting into and out of 4WD. Give it a try - it works for me.

Bob

So go play off road more often? Will do.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score

Bob

I try to put it in Full time at least once a week...but usually like one trip somewhere so only a few miles. Maybe I should leave it in longer?

Does anyone have any procedure on adjusting the linkage or info on the bushings?

decibelchild

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hmm curious, how can i lubricate these parts. i havent had any problems yet but i dont want any trouble. sorry im a newb and am looking for a wise opinion

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I'm learning along with ya! :D

The part I lubricated (if it's the shifting rod) is, if you're under the Jeep, on the inside side of the cat and directly up. It looks like a mini tail gate strut kinda.

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I try to put it in Full time at least once a week...but usually like one trip somewhere so only a few miles. Maybe I should leave it in longer?

Does anyone have any procedure on adjusting the linkage or info on the bushings?

Yea, I usually leave it in Full Time for a day or two at a time. Not out on the highway but the usual errand running, trips to the office, etc.

Interesting...since we came back from Windrock my shifting mechanism has been much smoother, easier to engage, more "solid." Guess the KJ likes being out in the wild in 4LO :gr_grin:

Bob

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Yea, I usually leave it in Full Time for a day or two at a time. Not out on the highway but the usual errand running, trips to the office, etc.

Interesting...since we came back from Windrock my shifting mechanism has been much smoother, easier to engage, more "solid." Guess the KJ likes being out in the wild in 4LO :gr_grin:

Bob

I'll try leaving it in longer...one think I tried last night that worked is pushing the leaver down and holding down for a second, then I felt it shift.

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'll try leaving it in longer...one think I tried last night that worked is pushing the leaver down and holding down for a second, then I felt it shift.

Hmmm, I've never tried that. Gonna give that a shot next time I shift out of Full Time.

I took my boat to storage today and had to drive it through a slightly muddy grassy area so put it into FT and left it there running the rest of my errands today. I'll pop it into 2WD tomorrow and give your idea a shot.

Thanks HJ!

Bob

kj04libby

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the np231 and after I pulled my friend out I couldn't get it out of 4LO. I just applied some pressure and finally it just shifted into 4HI. Then it stayed in 4HI. I drove it home which was less than a mile from the field. Once I got home it shifted out to 2HI fine. And would shift into each selection fine. And haven't had trouble with the TCase since. I blame the Ford. Lol.

You must be registered for see images attach