4wd Drive Shaft Boot

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

deknight

Reaction score
Does anyone know the part number for the front drive shaft boot? My parts catalog doesn'ty show it. There are two boots on the four wheel drive front drive shaft and as I was looking under the jeep today I notice the boot closest to the front differential had a hole in it. Needless to say all the greese came spraying out though the hole the one time I actually engaged it into 4wd.... I cleaned up all the greese and taped up the hole with electrical tape. Hopefully it holds, I will just drive it around in 2wd till I fix it.

Also, is there a special type of greese I need to use when I install the new boot? Thanks!

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know the part number for the front drive shaft boot? My parts catalog doesn'ty show it. There are two boots on the four wheel drive front drive shaft and as I was looking under the jeep today I notice the boot closest to the front differential had a hole in it. Needless to say all the greese came spraying out though the hole the one time I actually engaged it into 4wd.... I cleaned up all the greese and taped up the hole with electrical tape. Hopefully it holds, I will just drive it around in 2wd till I fix it.

Also, is there a special type of greese I need to use when I install the new boot? Thanks!
No boot available,you need a whole new shaft.Those shafts have non-servicable CV joints so no replacement parts available.They run about $500 from a dealer,could try a junk yard or try a place like worldpartsexpress.com for one cheaper.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just remember that the shaft spins in 2wd also. Wouldnt be a bad idea to put some grease back into it then put some tape back on it. That would be a good temp fix till you can figure something else out..

icarl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Why not try a tire or bicycle tube patch with rubber glue on the boot. That would be better than electrical tape and the patch is made for rubber.

deknight

Reaction score
ugh

$500?!%@ I knew this jeep was going to be the financial death of me... ha ha. I am going to try putting new grease in it, then do a patch. I think the boot may be made of that soft flexible plastic and not "Rubber" but a patch is worth a try. Thanks everyone!

Atrus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If it's a standard CV type boot that FWD cars use, they do sell replacement boots. Same thing for the Prix's - you supposedly need a new halfshaft, however, I have known many people that use a replacement boot. Look at your local auto parts store and see if it looks similar. I am not sure what the Jeep's looks like. Thy don't seem to hold up as well as the OEM boot, but they work. Also, look for a mom and pop store that does machine work, I am guessing they may be able to repair it? Not sure on that one though.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If it's a standard CV type boot that FWD cars use, they do sell replacement boots. Same thing for the Prix's - you supposedly need a new halfshaft, however, I have known many people that use a replacement boot. Look at your local auto parts store and see if it looks similar. I am not sure what the Jeep's looks like. Thy don't seem to hold up as well as the OEM boot, but they work. Also, look for a mom and pop store that does machine work, I am guessing they may be able to repair it? Not sure on that one though.
He's referring to the front drive shaft(t-case to front diff) not the front CV half shafts(diff to wheels).The CV half shafts you can rebuild the joints and replace the boots,not the front driveshaft though.