4.10 gears from 4 cylinder

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Doing10to20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the clear answer and explanation
Right now I am only running a spring lift but soon i'll buy an ironman kit.
I didn't intend on buying lockers since i want to keep it cheap, i will get both diffs for under 200$ (200 for the set of 2 diffs) so i was counting on the track lock, i like it for my use (90% sand desert in uae)
I'm diggn the stance on your jeep what wheels and tires you got on there?

05KJBaj

Reaction score
16" chinese alloy wheels (very popular brand here "gt wheels") and 265/70r16 general grabbers x3 found on a salvaged car

05KJBaj

Reaction score
I didn't take a lot of pics yet, just got them on this week

Attachments

• IMG_20210319_111530_472.jpg
    IMG_20210319_111530_472.jpg
    197.4 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_20210319_111529_023.jpg
    IMG_20210319_111529_023.jpg
    147.5 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_20210319_111527_196.jpg
    IMG_20210319_111527_196.jpg
    192.7 KB · Views: 32

05KJBaj

Reaction score
16" chinese alloy wheels (very popular brand here "gt wheels") and 265/70r16 general grabbers x3 found on a salvaged car

Attachments

• IMG_20210319_112051_042.jpg
    IMG_20210319_112051_042.jpg
    100.2 KB · Views: 10

05KJBaj

Reaction score
05 is same as 02-04s , same speedo etc, 06/07 is where they screwed everything up
Hi guys ! I didn't want to create a new thread because this is just a quick question. Yesterday I went on an amazing drive in the dunes, only issue I've had a ton of rubbing with my new tires and I don't want to damage them in just a few uses. I'va had a lot of rubbing in the back also at full compression (check the pic where I am stuck, back left wheel). I know lifting the car is a solution, but will the OME 1.5 be much higher than my current setup ? Will bigger bump stops prevent rubbing in the rear ? Also my shocks are certainly super sagged with 250k on the clock

Attachments

• IMG_20210326_151334_048.jpg
    IMG_20210326_151334_048.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_20210326_151350_722.jpg
    IMG_20210326_151350_722.jpg
    129.4 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_20210326_151518_334.jpg
    IMG_20210326_151518_334.jpg
    142.2 KB · Views: 21

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Well, honestly you have a few issues
First the spacer lift and using stock springs and shocks which are weak, and while flex is good, spacers do not give a good flex, well too much which is bad
Second bumpstops, for every inch of lift you have one inch of new spacer
for instance in the rear we use hockey pucks which are one inch think each bolted down to the lower spring perch
On most say 2.5 inch lifts we do at least 2 inches of extra bumpstop
Third, your wheels, they stick out further than what most run, too little backspacing
while many like the look they are out far enough that you have to run " extra " bumpstop to keep them from rubbing
maybe 3 or more hockey pucks which then does away with any extra flex
To make sure remove shock on one side, with wheel / tire back on jack up that side and right before it hits the flare measure between lower spring perch and up to stock bumpstop, that is the amount of bumpstop you need extra
Not sure of the backspacing or width of your wheels but that also is part of your problem
With say an 8 inch wide wheel with 5 inches of backspacing you can stuff the tire up into the wheelwell
But that same 8 inch wide tire and 3.5-4 inches of backspacing will cause it to rub badly on the flares etc as you have found out
People get tired of me saying if you build it right from the get go it will work great
But with a good lift , from say OME, the right amount of bumpstop, the right width wheels with correct backspacing you will have no issues

05KJBaj

Reaction score
First the spacer lift and using stock springs and shocks which are weak, and while flex is good, spacers do not give a good flex, well too much which is bad
for instance in the rear we use hockey pucks which are one inch think each bolted down to the lower spring perch
Third, your wheels, they stick out further than what most run, too little backspacing
while many like the look they are out far enough that you have to run " extra " bumpstop to keep them from rubbing
To make sure remove shock on one side, with wheel / tire back on jack up that side and right before it hits the flare measure between lower spring perch and up to stock bumpstop, that is the amount of bumpstop you need extra
Not sure of the backspacing or width of your wheels but that also is part of your problem
With say an 8 inch wide wheel with 5 inches of backspacing you can stuff the tire up into the wheelwell
But that same 8 inch wide tire and 3.5-4 inches of backspacing will cause it to rub badly on the flares etc as you have found out
People get tired of me saying if you build it right from the get go it will work great
But with a good lift , from say OME, the right amount of bumpstop, the right width wheels with correct backspacing you will have no issues
Thanks for the answer, i was talking anout wheel spacers, I am not the one who installed them, they were put there by the previous owner and i never thought of getting them out, will that help with the backspacing ?

05KJBaj

Reaction score
H
Haha the pucks trick is great i'll do that

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks for the answer, i was talking anout wheel spacers, I am not the one who installed them, they were put there by the previous owner and i never thought of getting them out, will that help with the backspacing ?
Why did they use wheel spacers?
Do you know the width and backspacing of your wheels ?
What kind and how much lift do you supposedly have ?

05KJBaj

Reaction score
For the lift too I am not even sure since the previous owner did it too, I bought the car lifted and it had crazy big wheels with extreme rubbing (17 inches rims), I think it only has a spring lift, longer spring. I don't know the backspacing but i'll go mesure it later

05KJBaj

Reaction score
For the lift too I am not even sure since the previous owner did it too, I bought the car lifted and it had crazy big wheels with extreme rubbing (17 inches rims), I think it only has a spring lift, longer spring. I don't know the backspacing but i'll go mesure it later
What I did myself was hammering the pinch weld, got new wheels and tires, removed the front inner plastic fenders and cut the flares. Now I am planning on buying the ome struts with king springs and same combo for the back and upgrading the bump stops. If I have to remove the spacers i'll do it I am not a poser and want my car to have the best possible offroad performance

lfhoward

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
To get a measurement of how much lift you have, measure the vertical distance from the center of your wheels to the lower edge of the flare (where it would have been before cutting). Tom will know what the stock KJ measurements were, so we can see where yours sits now. The front and rear have different measurements.

05KJBaj

Reaction score
Ok I mesured everything, these are approximate measures as close as I could.
Wheel width : 9 inches
Backspacing : 5 inches
Frontspacing : 4 inches
From center of the wheels to edge of flare before cut : 19 inches

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
If you are at 19 inches from middle of the wheel ( hub area ) to bottom of the flare you are at stock height
Size of wheels ( 16s-17s etc ) has nothing to do with height only the above measurements and tire size
hopefully you do not have two different backspacings sizes on front and rear wheels

make sure you get the longer 132L shocks for the rear if going OME for shocks since the others they list are basically stock length

05KJBaj

Reaction score
If you are at 19 inches from middle of the wheel ( hub area ) to bottom of the flare you are at stock height
Size of wheels ( 16s-17s etc ) has nothing to do with height only the above measurements and tire size
hopefully you do not have two different backspacings sizes on front and rear wheels

make sure you get the longer 132L shocks for the rear if going OME for shocks since the others they list are basically stock length
No way I was conviced that the car was lifted..
The back wheels are exactly the same.
Is 132l written on the ome shock ?
So do you think it is better to get rid of the wheel spacers ?

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Personally I would get rid of them ( spacers ) if you can. Would help a lot as far as rubbing in off camber situations for sure

05KJBaj

Reaction score
Don’t know where you’re located, but I saw a used OME suspension and an ARB bumper for sale on LOST. They’re in AZ. It’s a good deal if you could pick them up.

http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=91899
Thanks for sharing ! I am in Dubai so that wouldn't be possible for me. I will pickup soon a used set of ome from a junkyard, junkyards don't really know what they got, he'll sell me the set for a little over 100$ lol