4.0L engine rant...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looks like this thread will go on forever and ever........haha

Dave

Heep

Banned
Reaction score
I drove a XJ on 35's for 3 1/2 months,I can tell you for fact it does not get better mpg's then a KJ,even a KJ that weighs 6000lbs on 35's.

what year was it? what have you done to the motor :badger_1::badger_1::badger_1::badger_1::badger_1: snake snake snnnnaaaaaakkkkeeeee.......

streetglideok

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tore a 4.0 down the other day, less then 100k, lots of camshaft wear, and two bad exhaust valves. Even the 4.0 will die if not maintained, as this was getting oil changes 8-10k past due, and it croaked. After repairs, it really didnt feel that snappy either. It was way past its prime, and the Wrangler needed something better, but not a 3.8L lol

Heep

Banned
Reaction score
sounds like u got a lemon 4.0L lol i barely do oil changes and beat the crap out of mine and it still kills mustangs off the line... till i cant get it out of 1st.. stupid jeep tranys

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
3 XJs in my past ( all bought new by me ) and NONE ever got over 18-19 on a good day and I'm **** on upkeep, tuneups etc
KJ on the highway 21-22 easy at 70 +

jmnetus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well to each their own. My old stick shift XJ got between 20-24 on highway, my automatic KJ gets 19-20. I suspect the transmission has as much to do with it as anything - I love stick shift but couldn't find a KJ with it when I was buying.

Heep

Banned
Reaction score
Well to each their own. My old stick shift XJ got between 20-24 on highway, my automatic KJ gets 19-20. I suspect the transmission has as much to do with it as anything - I love stick shift but couldn't find a KJ with it when I was buying.

strongly agree with this guy ^^^^

in about 300k i burned 1/2 a tank and the kj that was following me went through a tank :freak3: love my xj in the long hauls but mine you i got a 103L tank :smokin:

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
:popcorn:

MSReNeGaDe

Banned
Reaction score
Tore a 4.0 down the other day, less then 100k, lots of camshaft wear, and two bad exhaust valves. Even the 4.0 will die if not maintained, as this was getting oil changes 8-10k past due, and it croaked. After repairs, it really didnt feel that snappy either. It was way past its prime, and the Wrangler needed something better, but not a 3.8L lol

The 3.8 isn't bad and anyone that knows engines knows they can stand some abuse

Sent from my SCH-I405 using Tapatalk 2

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score

Any engine will die if not maintained with oil changes done 8-10K past due though. Sounds like the one you are refering to was just abused.

Dave

streetglideok

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Any engine will die if not maintained with oil changes done 8-10K past due though. Sounds like the one you are refering to was just abused.

Dave

Thats exactly my point, there isn't anything mythical about the 4.0. It'll die just like any other engine if abused. Cracked heads and blown headgaskets if overheated, just like anything else.

k99jk99j

Full Access Member
Reaction score
4.0L must be a good motor if you are comparing it to the 7.3L powerstroke diesel.