4.0L engine rant...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
Slightly North of the 49° th. Parallel... In HongC
A friend of ours who we go wheeling with had a stroked 4 litre.
4.7 litre with just over 350 foot pounds of torque. (As per the dyno sheet which
I have seen, 357 F.P.T.)
Pretty impressive.And it don't leak oil.
This engine sounds evil!
It's too bad the 3.7 V6 can't be built to get that amount of power.

rockymountain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes that's the point. They cant. so stop comparing them. There is no comparison. PERIOD.

As for which is better, they both are better at different things. One is an apple, one is an orange.

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
Yes that's the point. They cant. so stop comparing them. There is no comparison. PERIOD.

As for which is better, they both are better at different things. One is an apple, one is an orange.

X2...

J-Thompson, you've basically been bashing the Liberty, even while you owned one, so my question is, WHY are you even HERE?

mmc757

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Everyone always idolizes the dead and laments the presence of the living. Thats why its better that Led Zeppelin never got back together.

Both of these engines are technological dinosaurs. Chrysler really needs to catch up to the other automakers in the V6 and I4 areas, as well as transmissions for these smaller motors.

There would be nothing wrong with the higher torque peak if we had transmissions that accounted for it.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
He's probally one of the "*********" Jeepers poking around all the forums making sure to scare poeple with gas tank explosions:happy175::happy175::happy175:

:happy175::happy175:

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
At the end of the day I don't have any complaints with the engine in our Liberty.
It get's the job done quite well. Especially after re-gearing, the Jeep has plenty of
grunt both on and off road.
It surprises quite a few nay sayer's off road when you pull up behind 4X4's which are
higher, bigger, bla, bla, bla.
We keep up with all of our friends in their XJ's with the inline 6.
Personally I have nothing against the 4 litre engine.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Everyone always idolizes the dead and laments the presence of the living. Thats why its better that Led Zeppelin never got back together.

Both of these engines are technological dinosaurs. Chrysler really needs to catch up to the other automakers in the V6 and I4 areas, as well as transmissions for these smaller motors.

There would be nothing wrong with the higher torque peak if we had transmissions that accounted for it.
I don't know about you but I'd rather have a old engine any day.The only modern system on engines these days that is worth a damn is multi-port FI and that can be added to any engine and is just as simple as a carb.

Sad part is I'm the only one at my shop that knows how to adjust let alone rebuilt a carb and I'm really not that old.

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
I don't know about you but I'd rather have a old engine any day.The only modern system on engines these days that is worth a damn is multi-port FI and that can be added to any engine and is just as simple as a carb.

Sad part is I'm the only one at my shop that knows how to adjust let alone rebuilt a carb and I'm really not that old.

On that note, I recently spoke to a young kid who looked at me and actually asked me what a carb was!

04Liberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A friend of ours who we go wheeling with had a stroked 4 litre.
4.7 litre with just over 350 foot pounds of torque. (As per the dyno sheet which
I have seen, 357 F.P.T.)
Pretty impressive.And it don't leak oil.
This engine sounds evil!
It's too bad the 3.7 V6 can't be built to get that amount of power.

It can, you're just going to spend exponential dollars doing it. The 3.7 already has more stroke than it's big brother the 4.7. Everyone who has ever tried to mod a 4.7 has run into the $$ wall, in that there's only certain small things you can do until it's time for forced induction. There's just even less stuff for the poor little 6.

On that note, I recently spoke to a young kid who looked at me and actually asked me what a carb was!

Had to explain what a carb was and how it worked to a kid asking for a help with his jetski last week...

Last edited:

seabass1858

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I like my kj and I liked my xj. Stock to stock I did get better gas mileage out of my xj, when modified I got better with the kj, but I had no issues with the xj or kj just odds and ends stuff which are expected. I would not hesitate to drive an xj with 300k on the original aw4 to Missouri and back because that ****** kicks A$$

J-Thompson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
X2...

J-Thompson, you've basically been bashing the Liberty, even while you owned one, so my question is, WHY are you even HERE?

I am here now for the same reason I came here
to start with
That is the hope of 1 day finding people who really
use there Jeep for what it was designed
Instead I find people who talk about it
But complain about their Jeep making funny noises
or the funny noises other Jeeps make
The best noise I ever hear from my Jeep
is the skids scraping on rocks

And to clarify I never bash a vehicle
I bash owners
Huge difference
There is nothing wrong with 99% of the 4wd KJ's
just the owners that make them suck
Now I will say that a 2wd Jeep is point less
and worthless

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
I am here now for the same reason I came here
to start with
That is the hope of 1 day finding people who really
use there Jeep for what it was designed
Instead I find people who talk about it
But complain about their Jeep making funny noises
or the funny noises other Jeeps make
The best noise I ever hear from my Jeep
is the skids scraping on rocks

And to clarify I never bash a vehicle
I bash owners
Huge difference
There is nothing wrong with 99% of the 4wd KJ's
just the owners that make them suck
Now I will say that a 2wd Jeep is point less
and worthless

I fully relate J!
Read through my posts and you'll find one such poser I always rag on!
A total BS'er!

lautinjr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
At the end of the day I don't have any complaints with the engine in our Liberty.
It get's the job done quite well. Especially after re-gearing, the Jeep has plenty of
It surprises quite a few nay sayer's off road when you pull up behind 4X4's which are

This! first time we had her out crawling completely stock i'll never forget running up a 70ft steep inclined mountain that some wranglers were having issue's with with ease. We all parked on top to chat and at least 3 people came up and said I can't believe how easy it went up that I thought for sure you couldn't make it. I guessed it helped stock ride height lower center of gravity compared to lifted wranglers on 35's and 37's.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This! first time we had her out crawling completely stock i'll never forget running up a 70ft steep inclined mountain that some wranglers were having issue's with with ease. We all parked on top to chat and at least 3 people came up and said I can't believe how easy it went up that I thought for sure you couldn't make it. I guessed it helped stock ride height lower center of gravity compared to lifted wranglers on 35's and 37's.
The increased wheel base was the main factor for better steep climbing ability.The KJ has a 10"+ longer wheelbase then a TJ.

Heep

Banned
Reaction score

until you hit some snow or cant get over a tree or get stuck in a water hole :happy175::happy175: silly little liberty

i love the 4L but only like it between yrs 91-95 before its just junk an after theres way to many sensors added to the same bs.. yes they do leak but a good day, and the know how you can have all that fixed in a day, maybe half a day! :freak3:

my xj thats on 35s get better fuel mileage then a KJ i know of :shrug:

Members online

No members online now.