3rd cv axle in a couple months

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

duderz7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A month or so ago I replaced right side cv axle and intermediate shaft. On the first one the c clip didn't hold axle to shaft and destroyed both, thankfully I was able to get both replaced under warranty. Now on the replacement axle the inner boot is spitting grease. To answer questions before they're asked, yes I used a Napa reman both times and was very careful not to pinch the boot upon install. While I'm not excited to do it again I've got timken bearings sitting here anyway so I'm already in it. My biggest concern is that the intermediate shaft will come out with it again and won't be able to separate them and have to replace it too. Any tips on that or maybe even just putting some kind of goop on the CV boot to seal it up. Thanks fellas.

ltd02

Comfortably numb
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think it'll have to come out again. Hopefully the Int Shaft won't be a pain this time since it was donr recently. Doubt you'd get anything to seal up the boot once it's covered with grease. Also be good to refill CV with fresh grease if contaminated. You can get a boot kit and just do that if CV is otherwise okay.

renegade 04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The way I remove the intermediate shaft from the cv is to put the intermediate shaft in a vice and then wedge 2 chisels between the cv shaft and intermediate shaft.

Cardhu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
put intermediate shaft in vice with rag around it since smooth is better.

hit CV with deadblow near joint. Since your bringing it back for a core deposit with the reman, get aggressive if you need to with a larger hammer if it doesn't work.

Put antiseize or fill with grease on next one.

duderz7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, the shaft came out with the Axle, but the guys at the tractor repair shop around the corner from me let me use their big vise and helped me separate them. All is well.

Last edited: