3” lift and 245/75/17s

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

elcreative

Reaction score
Okay. I’ve been reading for weeks trying to figure out a decent setup on a budget but still unsure. This isn’t my expertise and legitimately need constructive feedback.

I’ve been looking for new wheels, on a budget, and finally found a deal I thought was worth it. I got some new 245/75/17s at a stupid good price. I knew with these that the stock Liberty is going to rub. I actually put them on, along with 1.5” spacers/adapters today to see just how much. Well it was enough to know I needed to lift the Liberty to have a chance. I ordered a 3” lift kit but now am unsure if that’s going to be enough, along with the spacer/adapters to clear without rubbing. Anyone able to help? Should I continue with the lift kit and just buy a smaller set of wheels or is there a way to make it work without having to get a bigger lift, regear and go through all that?

Last edited:

duderz7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Those tires are going rub plenty, spacers will make it worse when turning. What lift are we talking about?

lfhoward

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Aren’t those 32’s?

If so, duderz7 is completely right. You will need at minimum a 3.5” lift and to pound over the pinch welds, and you will need JBA upper control arms to get it aligned properly, and you’ll need to regear to have any power and fuel economy. I run 31’s which are doable but still I have about -4 mpg and less power. I can’t imagine how much 32’s would sap my Jeep without regearing.

To get up to 3.5” of lift you’d be looking at OME springs and shocks (or Bilstein shocks but not their lift shocks which are like spacer lifts = bad) plus a clevis lift, and JBA upper control arms and Teraflex extended bump stops. In back you’d be looking at OME springs and longer shocks and 4 hockey pucks bolted down (2 per side) as bump stop extensions. All the part numbers you need are here in various posts (especially from Tommudd). Don’t be tempted to save money with budget spacer lifts because these preload the springs and kill them early, leading to all sorts of expensive problems and a bad ride until you decide to remove them and go for a full spring lift (OME).

Like duderz7 said above, wheel spacers make your front wheels steer in more of an arc leading to more contact with the wheel well and potential damage. This also goes for flexing off road as well as steering.

Not trying to beat you down for finding a good deal on tires, but this is the constructive feedback you need. Maybe sell them for a profit and add that to the lift fund.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
What lift are you going with since there isn't a 3 inch lift available
unless you are going with a spacer lift uuuggghhh hope not

to run that size tire, plus wheels that do not fit without an adapter , then needing to regear , plus JBA UCAs etc you're getting into some serious money
Some supposedly good deals are not good at all in the overall game of life

elcreative

Reaction score
Aren’t those 32’s?

If so, duderz7 is completely right. You will need at minimum a 3.5” lift and to pound over the pinch welds, and you will need JBA upper control arms to get it aligned properly, and you’ll need to regear to have any power and fuel economy. I run 31’s which are doable but still I have about -4 mpg and less power. I can’t imagine how much 32’s would sap my Jeep without regearing.

To get up to 3.5” of lift you’d be looking at OME springs and shocks (or Bilstein shocks but not their lift shocks which are like spacer lifts = bad) plus a clevis lift, and JBA upper control arms and Teraflex extended bump stops. In back you’d be looking at OME springs and longer shocks and 4 hockey pucks bolted down (2 per side) as bump stop extensions. All the part numbers you need are here in various posts (especially from Tommudd). Don’t be tempted to save money with budget spacer lifts because these preload the springs and kill them early, leading to all sorts of expensive problems and a bad ride until you decide to remove them and go for a full spring lift (OME).

Like duderz7 said above, wheel spacers make your front wheels steer in more of an arc leading to more contact with the wheel well and potential damage. This also goes for flexing off road as well as steering.

Not trying to beat you down for finding a good deal on tires, but this is the constructive feedback you need. Maybe sell them for a profit and add that to the lift fund.
They are 31.5’s. Appreciate that feedback. Going to heed the advice.

elcreative

Reaction score
What lift are you going with since there isn't a 3 inch lift available
unless you are going with a spacer lift uuuggghhh hope not

to run that size tire, plus wheels that do not fit without an adapter , then needing to regear , plus JBA UCAs etc you're getting into some serious money
Some supposedly good deals are not good at all in the overall game of life
Yeah. Now hoping I can sell them and maybe make a few bucks. Finding Jeep tires that size seem to be everywhere.

elcreative

Reaction score
Tires for sale. Lol. If anyone is interested let me know

Attachments

• 85B117F3-E442-439C-96F4-279C98B48AA0.jpeg
    85B117F3-E442-439C-96F4-279C98B48AA0.jpeg
    358 KB · Views: 4
  • 40D0E3E1-BA44-40F3-ACB4-70E779839392.jpeg
    40D0E3E1-BA44-40F3-ACB4-70E779839392.jpeg
    453.5 KB · Views: 4

Latest posts

Members online