2WD LO and the NP241J transfe case

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Going in 4LO on a driveway (paved) is fine if you don't turn. Transfercase won't know the difference.

Actually, just about every time I wash the KJ, I pop in 4LO to coast in the garage just to keep the shifter from locking up.
Actually it will since you have different gear ratios in the front diff as what is in the rear diff.10 or 20 feet,no big deal but binding will occure even driving in a straight line.

As far as no love for a auto trans you do not know what your missing,besides the 42RLE,most auto's nowday's are 10 times the trans of even the best manuals offered today.

Even comparing stock to stock my '02 Kj with the 45RFE has twice the pulling power and torque multiplication as your 6 speed manual.In addition to the mechanical gearing most do not figure in the 2.5:1 reduction the torque converter gives in addition to the mechanical gearing and why auto's are geared higher then manuals(internal trans gears).

If that doesn't make you think maybe look at new 3/4 ton and 1 ton pickups.One only has a manual available and if you take it you also must take a 200lbs-ft of torque loss as the trans can not handle 800lbs-ft+ of torque.

sota

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I understand all that, and if I had the space, the funds, the understanding wife, and the storage to properly handle having a purely towing dedicated rig I would. however since I don't and all of the above priorites have to be balanced against other factors. it's why I chose the liberty in the first place... it truly is a jack of all trades vehicle (and yes I know, that means it's a master of none.)

so as I see it I have 3 options right now...
1) wait to see if TeraFlex makes a kit for my case. and hope I'm either not in another similar situation or be much more mindful of my potential approach issues.
2) try to swap in a 231 with a kit installed, and hope it doesn't snowball too badly.
3) research the driveline disconnect idea some more.

there is a 4th option but it's even crazier than #3... see if I can't mod the case to seperate 2-4 from HI-LO. that I suspect is out of my league... at least not without a couple sacrificial units. :D

cplchris

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Actually it will since you have different gear ratios in the front diff as what is in the rear diff.10 or 20 feet,no big deal but binding will occure even driving in a straight line.

not to seem like an idiot but what do you mean different gear ratios? both the front and rear in mine are 3.73 gearing so it shouldnt make a difference unless you're saying that there is a slight difference in ratios due to a different number of teeth on the ring and pinion gears and the 3.73 ratio is approximate not exact, (which would make sense) and thats what causes binding in 4low in a straight line? im just making sure i understand so i dont screw up my jeep.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
not to seem like an idiot but what do you mean different gear ratios? both the front and rear in mine are 3.73 gearing so it shouldnt make a difference unless you're saying that there is a slight difference in ratios due to a different number of teeth on the ring and pinion gears and the 3.73 ratio is approximate not exact, (which would make sense) and thats what causes binding in 4low in a straight line? im just making sure i understand so i dont screw up my jeep.
There is a slight difference in front and rear ratio's since the front is a D30A and the rear is a 8.25.I can't say what they are for stock KJ's with 3.73's,one will not be a true 3.73 though.But I can tell you for 4.10's in a KJ the fronts are actually 4.09's and the rear is 4.10's.Same for my axles now,5.13 gears in the front and 5.14 gears in the rear,all sold and labeled as 5.13's.You can have upwards of a 4%-5% difference between the front and rear ratio's from the factory depending on diffs used.

Now if you have a D44 front and a D44 rear,or D60/D60, then your front and rear gear ratio's will be identical as the ring gears are the same size.

sota

Full Access Member
Reaction score
huh... I did not know that little tidbit. thx tj.

speaking of gears I wish I'd bought the set a local had for sale. brand new front and rear kits, 4.10s (marked :D) for $700. had everything in the kits to do the swap/rebuild.
I just got the spare front diff in (thx 2006 KJ) and now i'm looking for a cheap rear to rebuild.

Ted15

Full Access Member
Reaction score
huh... I did not know that little tidbit. thx tj.

speaking of gears I wish I'd bought the set a local had for sale. brand new front and rear kits, 4.10s (marked :D) for $700. had everything in the kits to do the swap/rebuild.
I just got the spare front diff in (thx 2006 KJ) and now i'm looking for a cheap rear to rebuild.

If you're putting 4.10's in a pair of D44's, 4WP in Parma, OH has a set they took out for a gear change. I was in their store Wednesday and they had them marked down to fifty bucks for both front and rear, ring and pinions.

sota

Full Access Member
Reaction score
D30a and the 8.25. the stock diffs in the jeep.

Ohio-white-kj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Kinda' off topic, but back in the days of locking hubs many of us that fished a lot would do this with our 4x4's. Especially on a ramp that had traction, Now if it was a slippery dock you ended up locking the hubs and using 4x4, but the long ramps were much easier in a 4-lo.

J-Thompson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I will be putting the 2wd low on my TJ when I swap the ARB
that is up front for a Detroit locker
This way I can run most of the time in 2wd and put it in 4wd
when I need to
This will allow me to still make tight turns but have a near fail
proof locker up front