2wd = Bad?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TorrentIV

A Leaf on the Wind
Reaction score
So, I've had my Lib for a few years, driven in nearly every weather. Been through hub deep mud, steep inclines, caliche (nasty stuff) ranch trails, and I've never gotten fully stuck. Either a little rocking to get rolling, or 2by4s under the wheel at worst. So what I want to know is why mentioning that it's rwd makes some folks see it as a nonjeep? I know "traditional" Jeeps are 4wd, but still, theres no reason for the hate I can see. It's not going to run every trail, but quite a few, and even a couple 4wheel trails in West Texas, and some of the unimproved tank trails on ft hood. Doesn't make sense, idk. Alright, enough rambling.

mrlavalamp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Any community of enthusiasts will have this element. Automotive sports doubly so.

Some take the gatekeeping quite far as well, adding that if it doesn't have round headlights, the right number of slats in the grill, lockers front and back, and no doors, its not a real jeep.

Ignore them, that's what I do. Unfortunately it's also why I don't hang around with the local wrangler club, nice guys, but I just got tired of hearing "that's not a jeep, THIS is a jeep".

Sure, its all well and good the first few times, and I can handle the causal ribbing, but it was constant because every outing brings new people eager to show off their brand new $60k toys.

Haters gonna hate, and there is nothing you can do about it.

duderz7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What he said^^^ If we cared about the majority opinions this site would likely not exist. Sounds like you're having a good time with your Jeep and it meets your needs. I say keep on keeping on. I used to get some comments on the Jeep trails when I still had my 65 VW Baja, then I'd go places they could not, faster and with more style. That always seemed to shut them up. When the Wrangler boys are struggling with a "horse power hill" kind of scenario, and you catch air or of the top of it they can't say much.

TorrentIV

A Leaf on the Wind
Reaction score
Haters gonna hate is right I suppose. There is comfort in that I can outrun pretty much every other Jeep, learned that on 116 with it's wonderful 75mph speed limit (which means traffic's doing 85). And also, I'm very happy with the Libby, best vehicle I've ever had, I just kinda want others to see the light if you know what I mean.

turblediesel

memberable
Reaction score
Just like some Harley guys and their "When are you going to get a real motorcycle?" comments.

I think Harleys are as real as any other motorcycle, really.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I've had Jeeps for years ( 1975) and there are always people who will talk smack about what you drive, I'm old enough to remember when the YJ and the Cherokee both came out and how terrible they were , so you always have someone.
As far as other vehicles , bought my first Harley in 1976, and some I rode with would not ride with any one else if it wasn't a Harley. I always felt as long as you had your knees in the breeze who can't.
As far as 2 wheel drive KJ, I have always wanted to build one, 3 inch or so JBA coilover lift, 4.10 and locker in the rear and be a great backroads boogie mobile
Plus I've driven 2 wheel drive pickups in some bad snow storms, right tires and knowing how to drive take you a long ways

Birdman330

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My KJ was 2WD and I could care less what people thought of it. I had my share of ''purists'' who just walk away when you say you have a Liberty let alone not an actual 4WD. I had fellow Jeepers who said Bring it to the trails we'll get you through it without the 4WD, despite the jerks in every group you have more fellow enthusiasts who just don't care what you have specifically you're part of the group and to them it's what matters.

LONGJEEPOWNER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 2010 Jeep Libby and love it. It's also 2wd and rear driven. The only downfall I can see is in the winter I put on a set of studded tires and some weight in the back. Otherwise great ride!

wycowboy

Reaction score
I've gone places in RWD only vehicles that 4x4 ones had trouble. It's all in knowing the capabilities of your ride and your driving skill. Everything I buy now is 4x4 because I live in northern Wyoming and the winters can be brutal to drive in if all you have is RWD. Most people here have a 4x4 and those who don't usually get one after a winter or two without.

Birdman330

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've gone places in RWD only vehicles that 4x4 ones had trouble. It's all in knowing the capabilities of your ride and your driving skill. Everything I buy now is 4x4 because I live in northern Wyoming and the winters can be brutal to drive in if all you have is RWD. Most people here have a 4x4 and those who don't usually get one after a winter or two without.

I took my KJ through Wyoming when the Wife and I went to Los Angeles since I don't like driving through the Colorado Mountains, hit a Blizzard going through Western Wyoming where the Sisters were. Wife was on the edge as I was moving through at 75mph with no issues and I80 wasn't in the best of conditions either. Only car that went faster than me was a WSP Cruiser at about I would say roughly 80 to 85mph.

K Dje Ryu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Drove my '05 for several years after blowing up the front diff without a front driveline or CV shafts. Towing a snowmobile trailer up Casper mountain was the only time it had any difficulty.

mrlavalamp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Kicking this idea around as an emergency plan. Some kind of failure on the road or trail might damage cv/front axle and force removal of that system to get home.

In running without front CV, did you take apart and put the outer joint back through the wheel bearing and tighten the nut?

I was looking at mine and looks like the wheel bearing hubs alone might be sturdy enough to hold the vehicle weight in the front, but in cars in the past, you couldnt even keep the bearing and knuckle together without the CV in place.

Or just pull the CV out and off we go?

Last edited:

Jeremy-WI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2wd is only bad if you live in a hilly area that gets a lot of snow. On flat ground you can get away with good tires in snow

Birdman330

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2wd is only bad if you live in a hilly area that gets a lot of snow. On flat ground you can get away with good tires in snow

I shall lay down the BS card, I never had any issues with hills and actually my first winter with my KJ I had worn out Wrangler SRA's on, I ended up lost at the bottom of a cul-de-sac which I had to climb out of under several inches of snow. The KJ made it up without missing a beat. I also drove home that night over a hilly section of highway that was a sheet of ice, it was slow it was white knuckled but I didn't give up or lose faith I couldn't do it. I still hold 4WD is a crutch for too many people that think just because a spec of snow is on the road they need to instantly put it on. If you know what you are doing, you don't need to use 4WD all the time.

TorrentIV

A Leaf on the Wind
Reaction score
Also noticed when I was replacing my hubs last week they have the splines for 4wd, but adding that seems not worth it to me. Besides i haven't needed it yet anyway.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Not really true, had a 2 wheel drive pickup that I drove to work for 7 years, 28 miles one way, very hilly switch backs etc and never had an issue. Good set of tires and go , never had any issues really. Of course it was a FORD ( lol) 1975 I bought new . Jeep had a soft top and no heater so too cold to drive it back and forth!

Also in 1972 drove a 69 Cougar 390, 4 speed with L60-15s on the rear part of the winter, spun on some hills but made it to work every day

Jeremy-WI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't use 4WD all the time, but this winter gave us some good snowfalls along with some high winds. I could make it up some hills through the snow drifts but I would only get part way up the steeper hills and start spinning, put it in 4WD and keep going. I have the Hankook Dynapro tires and I might not have needed 4WD if I had a lift of some sort as I am sure I was plowing some snow when I was driving. I didn't use 4wd for 4-6 inches of snow and had no issues on the same roads. My last vehicle was a 04 Pontiac Sunfire and I had snow tires on it and I would turn off the ESP on it when climbing these hills in the snow. The system on the 06 Libby works much better