2009 JKL Alignment Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

67Customs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My dad just purchased a new set of tires and had them mounted and balanced on his 2009 unlimited.

When he inquired about an alignment, the guy told him that he needed to replace the ball joints to do an alignment on a JK.

I mean, if they are so bad that he can't get them into alignment, I can see that, but he didn't even look at them to know. The way he said it was like you had to replace them on every JK when you do an alignment. This doesn't sound correct to me.

Is this true?

67Customs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
After some more research and a conversation with Troy, I have figured out the you do need to add offset adjustable balljoints to be able to adjust the camber on a JK.

JTPhotoJK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Why do you need to adjust the Camber? Its a straight axle, the camber does not go out unless the axle housing is bent..

67Customs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
He was told by the first shop that the camber was out and in order to adjust it, he needed the adjustable ball joint.

He finally took it to a different shop and they told him that it wasn't out. They corrected what needed to be corrected and he is good to go.

I didn't think it all sounded right when I first heard it, but I didn't fully know, so I asked.

It's been resolved.