2007 Jeep Liberty Purchase.....Should I do it?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MacAttack

Reaction score
I have almost convinced myself to buy a 2007 Jeep Liberty Sport 4WD w/ Manual Transmission......Inferno Red !!!

Invoice Price is $22,279
Minus my employee discount
Minus rebate
Total Desired Price: $18,000

Do you think this would be a good purchase?

I was almost ready to do it, but then started reading customer reviews of the Liberty and it was one complaint after another. Are they really that bad? I know the gas mileage isn't great, but compared to other 4-wheel drives on Edmunds.com it seems pretty standard.

Tokyojoe1965

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What were the complaints? I am sure everyone on here can provide their input about any complaints you may have heard.

Check out any vehicle made and you will find all kinds of complaints. Don't discount the Liberty. Some people will complain because it isn't a Wrangler or Rubicon. Uh, No duh! If it was, it would be called Wrangler or Rubicon.

Look at what YOU want the vehicle to be able to do for you, then go look at everything in the price range of the Liberty (or your limit) and see what you come up with. If you want something that is comfortable for a daily driver but be able to go where the best scenery is without hikingor want to get off-road, the KJ is for you. If you have no need for a 4x4, just an on-road vehicle, just get the Rav or CRV..... or get the 2 WD KJ.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The liberty is very reliable. You cannot look at consumer reports or what ever you were looking at and get a good idea about Jeep. They got some crazy low MPG for the Diesel liberty when it gets over 20mpg easy.

The liberty is a great vehicle and thats coming from experience, not opinion. O:)

MacAttack

Reaction score
Tokyojoe1965 said:
What were the complaints? I am sure everyone on here can provide their input about any complaints you may have heard.
I can't remember what site I was on, but it had like 250 customer comments and most were about something broken and gas consumption. I was getting depressed reading it...........this broke, that broke, the ball joints broke, the ck engine light is stuck on, the ride is very rough above 65, etc, etc, etc.........

Maybe people only post when they are pissed.......so maybe I'm just seeing the pissed off population.........hopefully there are a lot more happy people out there that haven't had problems?????

thecause17

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have almost no complaints about mine...for the most part, I'm extremely happy with it. I wish it had a change tray, and could fit bigger tires than it canwithout lifting it...that's pretty much about it. as far as gas milage, it's a 4000lb SUV, if you want gas milage, buy a car, or a wanna be SUV like a Compass, or a CR-V...

As far as reliability, we have 5 in my family, none have had any problems whatsoever, other than the balljoint recall and regular maintenance.

MacAttack

Reaction score
As far as reliability, we have 5 in my family, none have had any problems whatsoever, other than the balljoint recall and regular maintenance.[/quote]

That makes me feel a little better.

I couldn't understand all the complaints about gas.......it says on the damn specs what the gas is. A few people had legit complaint because it did sound like they were getting really low, but a majority of the complainers were getting what the specs say.

I'll be going into debt big time for this vehicle and plan on keeping it forever, so I don't want to buy a lemon that will break every 2 weeks.

thecause17

Full Access Member
Reaction score
MacAttack said:

I couldn't understand all the complaints about gas.......it says on the damn specs what the gas is. A few people had legit complaint because it did sound like they were getting really low, but a majority of the complainers were getting what the specs say.

I'll be going into debt big time for this vehicle and plan on keeping it forever, so I don't want to buy a lemon that will break every 2 weeks.

I've gotten as high as 22mpg on the highway and usually get around 17-18 around town. Right now I'm only getting 16-17 around town, but I attribute it to winter gas.

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
MacAttack said:
As far as reliability, we have 5 in my family, none have had any problems whatsoever, other than the balljoint recall and regular maintenance.

I'll be going into debt big time for this vehicle and plan on keeping it forever, so I don't want to buy a lemon that will break every 2 weeks.[/quote]
Liberty # 3 in my immediate family.
'04
'05
'06

All have been trouble free (for the most part). The '04 was in the shop for a few minor problems, but nothing but recalls for the '05 and '06.

desertkj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine is five years old and I anticipate it serving me well for a long time. There are definitely design flaws with the ball joints, but it is not crippling, especially since now DC gets to replace them for me. Gas mileage isnt that great, but its an SUV, and I'd rather spend more on gas driving someting I like. Its comfy, its easy to drive, and, best of all, its a JEEP.

KJ04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
MacAttack said:
I have almost convinced myself to buy a 2007 Jeep Liberty Sport 4WD w/ Manual Transmission......Inferno Red !!!

Invoice Price is $22,279
Minus my employee discount
Minus rebate
Total Desired Price: $18,000

Do you think this would be a good purchase?

I was almost ready to do it, but then started reading customer reviews of the Liberty and it was one complaint after another. Are they really that bad? I know the gas mileage isn't great, but compared to other 4-wheel drives on Edmunds.com it seems pretty standard.

You might want to hold off untill the 08 KJ comes out with the front ball joint suspension change like is on the WK's.

Read here:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=368890

MacAttack

Reaction score
You might want to hold off untill the 08 KJ comes out with the front ball joint suspension change like is on the WK's.

You mean that would still be a problem even if I'm buying a brand new 2007 Liberty? Wouldn't it have been corrected by now, or is it a permanent design flaw?

KJ04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
MacAttack said:

You mean that would still be a problem even if I'm buying a brand new 2007 Liberty? Wouldn't it have been corrected by now, or is it a permanent design flaw?

If you read the link, (which is from a DC Tech. with 12 yrs. experience) it shows clearly that it is a design flaw, and you will get the flaw on an 07 also. The cange will come on the 08's.

glaurick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I get 24MPG on the Highway with my MT's
and get 17-19 going 15 miles to and from work, most times in a hurry, if I drive hard all the time it will go down to 15-17MPG
Just like any vehicle MPG is dependant on the driver

MacAttack

Reaction score
If you read the link, (which is from a DC Tech. with 12 yrs. experience) it shows clearly that it is a design flaw, and you will get the flaw on an 07 also. The cange will come on the 08's.
[/quote]

I read the link, but then I went and checked the recall information and it says for model years 2002 thru 2006............... so maybe they found a solution to the problem for 2007 model year???????

MacAttack

Reaction score
I found this blurb about the recall, but still not a definite answer:

Chrysler has changed the design and material used in the Liberty's suspension since the initial safety recall. NHTSA is looking at that recall to determine if the changes and modifications solved the ball joint problem in the suspension.

CRD4Liberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Like all forums and sites, the happy customers are smiling and going about their business. The unhappy ones have all the time in the world to complain, many are just people who for some reason of another bought the Jeep because they thought it was cool or something or had huge expectations that weren't met to their satisfaction. Sometimes you wonder if they actually were in the rig when they test drove it, did they leave their head at home or something. For instance, one of the big ones is the firm seats, they were firm the first day and still are firm on my rig, no surprises. Everyone complains about something without checking the other manufacturer's site to see what they have a recall on. For example the recall on the Lib ball joints, Toyota is recalling some now on their trucks. Somehow I don't see the same hand ringing over there.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
And just remember the Liberty is the best selling suv in it's class,DCX has sold a buttload and with any vehicle there are going to be some problems no matter what the brand.I remember (when working at a GM bodyshop)when the H2's came out they had 2 full pages of technical bullitons out on it before it even was on most lots.Go with what you want,not by what some other idiots say.