2004 Liberty Sludge in Oil fill neck

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ltd02

Comfortably numb
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Regular Mobil 1 is a highly refined III and Mobil 1 EP (what I run) is a group IV

I had heard that about the EP from a few sources. I've used regular M1 off and on for years but haven't tried the EP yet. I think I'll try that next in one of my other vehicles. I'm really liking the M1 high mileage I just put in my KJ. Wonder what it is?

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Update/Bump= It has been below freezing all week in frosty moisture fogs.
I tried to do short trips this last week to replicate the pudding effects or even condensation inside on the cap.
As it is about to warm up & rain tomorrow, I decided to pull the cap/baffle and see what it looks like inside....
54736[/ATTACH]"]
You must be registered for see images attach

Overall no pudding or condensation...oily blow by definitely though....
Last oil change new PCV and full synthetic group 4.
I have 3000 miles now on the Penzoil full syn and Mobil 1 filter.
54738[/ATTACH]"]

Could this be the difference maker in colder temps?
I use to when I ran the Regular Mobil one synthetic, Napa gold filter, often see a bit of condensation on cap and the beginning of yellow gunk when cold out.
Now it looks overall very good, but not sure about all this blow by going on.

Attachments

• Oil%20Cap%20etc%20KJ.jpg
    Oil%20Cap%20etc%20KJ.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 0
  • Jeep%20Oil%20and%20Filter%20Change.jpg
    Jeep%20Oil%20and%20Filter%20Change.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 1

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
I wanted to add some more information about the oil & ratings.
Notice on the front of the Penzoil platinum you see Full Synthetic and the Dexos Rating on the bottom (GM's New Specs)
When you look on the back of the bottle you will see the "Exceeds" GF-5 etc..
54743[/ATTACH]"]

Many may not know that Lubrizol is responsible for development of these oil & specifications, and they have come a long ways!
Lets put it this way if you see an Exceeds GF-5 and Dexos Label, you know this stuff is good oil!
54745[/ATTACH]"]

I was researching this stuff when it was GF-4 and soon new cars will be Gas Direct injection/ = SAE 16 GF-6.
Higher temps,less deposits,more mpg, better lubrication is coming to a spec by 2018?
Just remember even though we have better oil today, than we ever had....as soon as it gets dirty..it still is..:yucky: peepwall.gif

Attachments

• Penzoil%20Platinum%20Full%20SYN%20GL5.jpg
    Penzoil%20Platinum%20Full%20SYN%20GL5.jpg
    736.3 KB · Views: 1
  • GF4.jpg.png
    GF4.jpg.png
    316.2 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:

CzarKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Very interesting. I have been running either mobile 1 or penzoil synthetics for a few oil changes now. Have slowly been changing over all the vehicles I work on to the same.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Have ran Mobile 1 ( no platinum etc , extended mileage or whatever else) for 20 years or more, never had any issues. Also never have any sludge in the oil neck on any of the KJs I service here

RenKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ever since the catch can i had minimal junk in the neck, after switch to synth i just have a bit of blowby and a bit of condensation to drain out the catch can once a month

ltd02

Comfortably numb
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ever since the catch can i had minimal junk in the neck, after switch to synth i just have a bit of blowby and a bit of condensation to drain out the catch can once a month

I thought about doing a catch can. If you get a chance, post some pics as to how and where you plumbed it in. :party52:

uss2defiant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so did an oil change today and noticed the foam.
first time ever and I blame it on the cold weather in UT during my road trip.
x.x

ltd02

Comfortably numb
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
so did an oil change today and noticed the foam.
first time ever and I blame it on the cold weather in UT during my road trip.
x.x

I never really looked too close for the first 3-4 years I owned mine. I didn't pull the baffle during oil changes and the baffle does hide it. Sort of embarrassed to say, but I didn't even know the baffle came out back then. I think the "aha" moment was one time when I was changing the PCV and noticed a bit of the yellowish slime. :favorites68:

uss2defiant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'll be keeping a closer eye now the next few weeks.

If you see a murky oil film on the underside of your oil cap, just pull the baffle out to double check.

RenKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I thought about doing a catch can. If you get a chance, post some pics as to how and where you plumbed it in. [emoji14]arty52:
Ill take a pic and make a thread in the next couple days, ill pm ya when its up

Ronin9965

Reaction score
Question does the baffle help from oil being drawn into the pcv. My 2003 jeep liberty 3.7 does not have a baffle. I will be ordering one but I noticed oil by my pcv and I had to replace my IAT sensor because it was caked up with oil reside. The breathers are clean. I have no build up in the oil filler neck and it has 193,423 on the vehicle. I bought it recently and replaced all the sensors. Just when I cold start I get blue smoke out of the tailpipe for a few minutes. I replaced the pcv also but noticed that the baffle was missing.

Ofelas

Reaction score
Install the Mopar PCV relocation kit, it puts it into the driver's side valve cover.
You'll need an updated PCV valve as well, Mopar # 53034065AA

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score

Ofelas

Reaction score
I saw that.

I will add - for 2002-2003 models, there is no need to get the additional vehicle specific passenger side crankcase breather hose (which, in your case, was part # 53013885AA for 2004-2006 KJs ).

For 2002-2003 models, just reuse the existing passenger side hose (no need to remove it at all).

The updated Mopar PCV is still available , but as far as the kit goes #53013885AA -It's not available anymore.
You would have to possibly buy it piece by piece.
I updated my system & it's been fine since. https://www.jeepkj.com/threads/pcv-positive-crancase-ventilation-tsb.59367/page-2