2004 Liberty Sludge in Oil fill neck

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
I doubt it, why are you loosing oil, got a visible leak somewhere, or oil drops below the Jeep?

uss2defiant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nah.... no leaks, not that I could tell.
just being consumed. Pepper loves oil.
I still have to do a compression test.

Last edited:

Hockeygoon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nah.... no leaks, not that I could tell.
just being consumed. Pepper loves oil.
I still have to do a compression test.

Seems like the 3.7s like to use oil. My 2005 has just turn 80K, it burns about a quart with every oil change. It has the wrong dipstick when the oil and filter are charged and 5 quarts added its about 1/4 of an inch above the "max" line. At oil change time (3K miles) its in the normal range but only 4 quarts come out.

nullptr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Seems like the 3.7s like to use oil. My 2005 has just turn 80K, it burns about a quart with every oil change. It has the wrong dipstick when the oil and filter are charged and 5 quarts added its about 1/4 of an inch above the "max" line. At oil change time (3K miles) its in the normal range but only 4 quarts come out.

Are you counting the ~quart that's inside the oil filter and doesn't drain out?

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score

Don't think so unless they haven't been maintained
Mines at 214,000 and uses maybe 1/8 or a bit more of a quart now
of course always had Mobil 1 every 3-3500 miles
When "first " changed it will show above since filter is not fully filled up

Last edited:

uss2defiant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 02 breathers screw right into the heads on both sides. The hoses then travel from there to the resonator box. Rock auto sells them for the 02.

got a part number for the hose from the head to the breather? my passenger side has a crack.
Thanks.

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
Installed my oil fill baffle, though it was not abundantly clear exactly which way it was supposed to be oriented. It doesn't really fit in there good in any direction. :shrug:

uss2defiant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the lower side of the slanted top piece of the baffle should be facing away from the PCV.

didnt you say in our other thread that your PCV wasn't on your oil filler neck?

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
the lower side of the slanted top piece of the baffle should be facing away from the PCV.

didnt you say in our other thread that your PCV wasn't on your oil filler neck?
Yep, PVC is elsewhere and is a completely different type. I do know where it would be if it was on the oil filler neck, so I'll try what you suggested. :)

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
the lower side of the slanted top piece of the baffle should be facing away from the PCV...

cool. I believe the lower side would be on facing the driver side.
I think so too. The PCV would be on the passenger side if it were where the manual says it is, so the opposite would be the driver's side. I'm going to look at it again tomorrow.

As far as it goes, I doubt it does much. But for $1.68 if it does anything at all it's worth it. I did clear a lot of residue out of the oil fill tube. It looks like reddish dry powder.

ltd02

Comfortably numb
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here's what mine looks like today. I haven't driven it since Wednesday, but drove it M/T/W to and from work (80 miles a day). I've got Mobil 1 High Mileage in it for about 600 miles and the oil looks great

Sort of a shocking update in a good way. If you look back to post 15, I attached a few images of my oil filler region with about 600 miles on some Mobil 1 High Mileage I had gotten on sale. Usually I just use the Super Tech "synthetic" from Wally World. I've attached a few images I took today of the same regions with about 5-600 more miles on it (I do about 400 miles a week total but don't drive the KJ everyday). Should say it's still been pretty unseasonably cold around here over that stretch (4 inches of snow yesterday). A little bit of condensation but no sign of sludge! Think I'll stick with a higher quality oil from now on.

Attachments

• IMAG0027.jpg
    IMAG0027.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 21
  • IMAG0026.jpg
    IMAG0026.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 29
  • IMAG0025.jpg
    IMAG0025.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 27