2004 Liberty Sludge in Oil fill neck

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Over the years people have told me I spend too much on oils etc. I try to buy what I think of is the best from experience. One friend has always bought the cheapest oil there is from discount stores and always has engine issues .

ltd02

Comfortably numb
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Over the years people have told me I spend too much on oils etc. I try to buy what I think of is the best from experience. One friend has always bought the cheapest oil there is from discount stores and always has engine issues .

This is a good example of you get what you pay for. I'll just be stocking up with the better stuff now. There's always a sale somewhere.

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
Even on my little Geo Metro (laugh all you want, but I got 50mpg highway) I used the best synthetic oil I could find. Maybe I should say "particularly" on my little Geo Metro, because when you have a three-cylinder 1.0L engine you don't want to make things any harder on it than they need to be.

Funny thing is, I've been driving for forty years and still haven't spent as much on oil TOTAL as one engine would have cost. :icon_lol:

twowings

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you still have that automobile....hold on to it....you have a true collector's item...

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
If you still have that automobile....hold on to it....you have a true collector's item...

I kind of wish I had. It got traded in for my Geo (not Chevy) Tracker, which I drove for the next 16 years. I wish I had given that to one of my cousins down on the farm instead of trading it in on the Jeep. They'd have had some fun with it. :(

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I know a guy who has at least 20 Geo Metros, even one of those convertibles. Loves them thats all he drives and buys everyone he can find.
Trackers were fun, funny they stopped making them and now people are buying those side by sides which are as big as a Tracker. 2 friends of mine got married years ago and drove one from Ohio to California and back....and promptly sold it:shrug::icon_lol:

But yes those little engines sure did spin fast at 80

CobraNutt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ha! I had an '89 Geo Metro Lsi...Great little car until things started falling off! I sure miss the every-three-week fuel fill-up! One thing I learned is that I had to get up to highway speed BEFORE I turned on the A/C, or I'd never get up to speed! I sold it to buy another one of my Thunderbird project cars. I kinda still wish I had it though!

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Ha! I had an '89 Geo Metro Lsi...Great little car until things started falling off! I sure miss the every-three-week fuel fill-up! One thing I learned is that I had to get up to highway speed BEFORE I turned on the A/C, or I'd never get up to speed! I sold it to buy another one of my Thunderbird project cars. I kinda still wish I had it though!

:happy175::happy175:Thats what this guy told me one time that the Geos have down hill air. He went on to explain that down hill they had enough power for the AC to run but you better switch it off before you started up the other side :icon_lol::ROFLJest:

CobraNutt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
:happy175::happy175:Thats what this guy told me one time that the Geos have down hill air. He went on to explain that down hill they had enough power for the AC to run but you better switch it off before you started up the other side :icon_lol::ROFLJest:
True story! At highway speed, turning on the A/C was like tossing out a parachute!! :happy175:

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
It would seem that regarding the oil filler sludge build up, that those who use full synthetics oils, probably have less sludge or may experience none at all.
The question is why?
Certainly operating conditions & environments have a role here.
It would seem that the Pcv line that attaches to the filler neck is actually connected to back of the intake manifold.
There obviously is quite a bit of oily blow by coming in through the filler neck mixed with oil.
The vacuum then pulls the mixture from the filler neck into the PCV and cleaner air hopefully is pulled back into the intake manifold.
I wonder is there a vacuum hg or bar spec?
Could it be there is too much vacuum causing too much sludge in filer neck & Pcv valve?

ltd02

Comfortably numb
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
It would seem that regarding the oil filler sludge build up, that those who use full synthetics oils, probably have less sludge or may experience none at all.
The question is why?
Certainly operating conditions & environments have a role here.
It would seem that the Pcv line that attaches to the filler neck is actually connected to back of the intake manifold.
There obviously is quite a bit of oily blow by coming in through the filler neck mixed with oil.
The vacuum then pulls the mixture from the filler neck into the PCV and cleaner air hopefully is pulled back into the intake manifold.
I wonder is there a vacuum hg or bar spec?
Could it be there is too much vacuum causing too much sludge in filer neck & Pcv valve?

I was sort of wondering if the ability of the base stock oil of true synthetics to acquire water (partition coefficient) is less than that of a lesser "synthetic" oil which has the performance classification of a synthetic but still uses a highly refined mineral oil base stock. So the presence of moisture will be higher between runs and accumulate in the poorly designed filler area each time the oil is brought to operating temperature or cooked. Unlike LibertyTC's theory, maybe the PCV vacuum just isn't sufficient to draw all this moisture off except in the case of longer run times. Of course I'm not even sure if this Mobil 1 High mileage is a true synthetic or just a performance based synthetic so I guess I'm just guessing, but have to start with a hypothesis. I have some more research to do. :icon_lol:

BTW, no Geo but had a really fun 77 Pinto. Sounds strange but wish I still had it.

Last edited:

CactusJacked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I kind of wish I had. It got traded in for my Geo (not Chevy) Tracker, which I drove for the next 16 years. I wish I had given that to one of my cousins down on the farm instead of trading it in on the Jeep. They'd have had some fun with it. :(

That was only a badge designation, you still technically had a "Chevy" unless you had an early model that was made by Suzuki in Japan. Later models were a Chevy/Suzuki joint venture made in Canada. Either way you slice it, they are Suzukis at heart. I had a couple Samurais, one I gave a 2" body and 3" suspension lift, 31's, and stuffed a Chevy 4.3 v6 into it, and Jeep Dana 44 axles. Daughter had a Chevy Tracker a few years back, sheet metal on that one was cheesy and tinny. Just look at it wrong and you could dent a fender. ;)

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
The Tracker was produced from 1989 to 1998 under the Geo marque, and 1999 to 2004 under Chevrolet itself...
I had a 1997.

...the Metro and Tracker were produced at the GM/Suzuki joint-venture CAMI assembly plant in Ingersoll, Ontario...

Geo

I know that in a legal and business sense it made little difference, but I feel that the Tracker went downhill once it became "officially" a Chevy. Of course, I used to joke that they called them Geo's at first in case they bombed, which would have prevented the Chevy brand's reputation from suffering quite as much. :icon_lol:

uss2defiant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was sort of wondering if the ability of the base stock oil of true synthetics to acquire water (partition coefficient) is less than that of a lesser "synthetic" oil which has the performance classification of a synthetic but still uses a highly refined mineral oil base stock. So the presence of moisture will be higher between runs and accumulate in the poorly designed filler area each time the oil is brought to operating temperature or cooked. Unlike LibertyTC's theory, maybe the PCV vacuum just isn't sufficient to draw all this moisture off except in the case of longer run times. Of course I'm not even sure if this Mobil 1 High mileage is a true synthetic or just a performance based synthetic so I guess I'm just guessing, but have to start with a hypothesis. I have some more research to do. :icon_lol:

Group 4 and 5 are true synthetics.
Technilube.com - All Synthetics are NOT Created Equal

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
^ That list (link) does not have the current group 4 of 5's. 5W-30
I can not seem to find a link that lists all of the true synthetics Group IV & V.
I would assume that Mobil 1 extended performance would be a 4..
Penzoil Platinum or Ultra Platinum 4 or 5?

uss2defiant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yeah. It's old. I couldn't find a better list when I was researching oils for future oil changes.
If you or anyone else have a link, that will be great!

ltd02

Comfortably numb
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
yeah. It's old. I couldn't find a better list when I was researching oils for future oil changes.
If you or anyone else have a link, that will be great!

X2! I wish I could find a really simple list of true synthetics based on base oils. Guess it really is "all about the base". :happy175:

Like I said before I was just speculating on the ability of the base oil to absorb water/water vapor. I have no idea and haven't found any more on this despite looking a bit yesterday. I just thought it was an idea. This Mobil 1 High Mileage I used was only about 25 bucks for a 5qt jug.

I do know that group V base oils are still rare and super expensive but the group IV (PAO) are not. Stuff like RP and Amsoil are full (IV) but with some brands it's hard to tell when they have so many "levels" of oil. Some of them are blends of III and IV and some are just highly refined III. All get to carry the synthetic name. It's a shame the "synthetic" label has evolved into this performance level based description as opposed to a chemical description. Guess I'll have to surf the Bobistheoilguy site for a bit later but that can be frustrating and confusing. They get crazy technical over there. When I read some of that stuff I'm reminded of that old comparison of opinions and ********... :shrug:

These are some parts of this interesting SynLube site I found a few years ago:

http://www.synlube.com/synthetic.htm

Synthetic Oil Prices in USA

They have some interesting info on here but I have no idea if any of it is validated. Never used their products and sounds sort of like clever marketing to me. Still not even sure what their base oil is in their lube for life stuff. Clearly not mineral oil derived. They do make an interesting point somewhere in there in that motor oil prices should not vary based on crude oil prices if truly synthetic.

Alright, I clearly got carried away with all this. Apologies. :icon_lol:

Last edited: