2004 liberty lift

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

solareclipsed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello all I am new here. Was originally thinking of getting rid of the liberty in a year or so and buying a wrangler to lift but after looking at the prices of the wranglers even with high miles being out of what I really want to spend I was thinking of lifting the liberty.
It is a 2004 Columbia edition. Have been trying to read and search a bunch but need some opinions.
I was originally looking at the cheaper lifts but with all the negative feedback on the I have opted for a little better.
I was looking at 2 options and would like to know the differences.

Tommudd's Econo 3.5" Lift Kit

JBA 2.50" coilover lift

Which one will give me a better lift?
I am mainly going for looks with larger tires and a better street ride. I will do some off-roading but nothing extreme.
Also what size tires would be best for these two options? If I need to regear that is fine also but to what ratio and where is the best place to buy those parts also?

Thanks for all help.
Gary

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Hello all I am new here. Was originally thinking of getting rid of the liberty in a year or so and buying a wrangler to lift but after looking at the prices of the wranglers even with high miles being out of what I really want to spend I was thinking of lifting the liberty.
It is a 2004 Columbia edition. Have been trying to read and search a bunch but need some opinions.
I was originally looking at the cheaper lifts but with all the negative feedback on the I have opted for a little better.
I was looking at 2 options and would like to know the differences.

Tommudd's Econo 3.5" Lift Kit

JBA 2.50" coilover lift

Which one will give me a better lift?
I am mainly going for looks with larger tires and a better street ride. I will do some off-roading but nothing extreme.
Also what size tires would be best for these two options? If I need to regear that is fine also but to what ratio and where is the best place to buy those parts also?

Thanks for all help.
Gary

hello Gary
Well it looks like you have done some research so thats great !! Love it when folks actually do that ! ha ha
Anyways of course the TM Econo gives you an inch or more lift than the JBA adjustable coilover, or the 2.5 inch one anyways.
As far as tire size , 245-75-16 is a good over all tire that works well with 2.5 -4 inches of lift and no need to regear right away and some never do. With 3.5-4 inches of lift you can run something like a 265-75-16 but also must regear to 4.10s the lowest you can go without going to the JBA steel front diff . With 265-75-16s actually 4.56s would be about perfect but only with the steel front diff .
Ride and handling would be way better with the adjustable coilover, both on and off road , just the way its designed. Of course the TM Econo rides really well in all situations but the JBA is just a notch above
So look at your budget since doing a regear/lift/tires etc can add up pretty quick . Either way you go, you'll love the ride and handling so much more you'll wonder why you waited so long to do it .
I had the opportunity to ride in a stock 04 with 70,000 miles over the weekend and could not wait to get out after two miles and back in mine !!!!!!!!!!!:mfr_omg:

What part of WV are you in? I grew up right across the river in Ohio if you're in the Parkersburg/Moundsville/ Wheeling areas

Last edited:

solareclipsed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I live in Huntington. Mine actually has 71xxx miles right now and I average about 6000 per year so not a whole lot.

kj2002vzla

Full Access Member
Reaction score
X2 TOM

i have the tommudds and it rides awesome, just a little taller than 4 inch on mine :Big Laugh: but if i had the money i would buy the JBA 4" coilovers with the fox setup, well honestly now im sitting just over 4" i would go with the 6" coilovers (back to reality) haha, i go off roading everyday cause the street of my country lol and almost a year old lift still rides awesome!!

solareclipsed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If I had the money I would put the 6" lift under it. However since I could probably do about everything I want to do to it for the price of the 6" lift I am gonna opt for one of the lower lifts and do other things.

solareclipsed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If I buy the econolift what else do I need to buy to make things work properly? What troubles could I run into? Also if I do decide to re-gear what all is needed and the best place to buy that at?

Hedsic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If I buy the econolift what else do I need to buy to make things work properly? What troubles could I run into? Also if I do decide to re-gear what all is needed and the best place to buy that at?

Nothing else needed. Might want some front bumps tops but it's not required.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score

Bumpstops is it
to Re-gear, 4.10 gears and install kit for an 8.25
same for the D30A, but only Dana Spicer make them ( no matter what some sites say, they are not the same as the 30 in other Jeeps
jeepinbyal can provide those as well

solareclipsed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So ring and pinion gear is all I need for the regearing? Or are any bearings or seals needed? I have never done a regear and not sure I will now but just in case I like to know what I need up front.

As far as bump stops...any specific ones better then others?

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
So ring and pinion gear is all I need for the regearing? Or are any bearings or seals needed? I have never done a regear and not sure I will now but just in case I like to know what I need up front.

As far as bump stops...any specific ones better then others?

Install kit= bearings/seals etc
Teraflex front bumpstops
2 hockey pucks per side bolted down to the spring perch in the rear

solareclipsed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Actual hockey pucks or is that a brand? Forgive my stupid questions. I have done some research....some being the key word.

Snail Farmer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes go to the sporting goods store and buy real hockey pucks. They work great.

Sent from my HTC One using the power of Mary's purse

CzarKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You guys are giving me ideas. I should buy them wholesale and sell it as a "bump stop kit" for lifted liberties.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
You guys are giving me ideas. I should buy them wholesale and sell it as a "bump stop kit" for lifted liberties.
Not a new idea, I keep them in stock here with the holes already drilled and ready in case anyone needs them

gatortail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
jeep lift

a daystar 2.5 lift.. is a great economic lift.. if you have a renegade they are one inch higher then other's.. so you get 3.5... that's what I have.. you get it installed out the door for 500.00 or less.. it calls for 265\75\16 tires, I put 255\70\16 on mine.. with 16x8 rim for little off set.. very pleased with this lift.. you retain all you stock suspension so your ride doesn't change..i did have them replace the front and rear coils-shocks on mine at same time to save on labor since they was in there anyways....that got me higher too, since they was old and tired ..you will see on here that some people has this lift and ask why is some higher then other.... remember , new stock suspension and renegade will get you higher..

Snail Farmer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
a daystar 2.5 lift.. is a great economic lift.. if you have a renegade they are one inch higher then other's.. so you get 3.5... that's what I have.. you get it installed out the door for 500.00 or less.. it calls for 265\75\16 tires, I put 255\70\16 on mine.. with 16x8 rim for little off set.. very pleased with this lift.. you retain all you stock suspension so your ride doesn't change..i did have them replace the front and rear coils-shocks on mine at same time to save on labor since they was in there anyways....that got me higher too, since they was old and tired ..you will see on here that some people has this lift and ask why is some higher then other.... remember , new stock suspension and renegade will get you higher..

Not to be rude but renegades are not an inch higher than other liberties stock and they don't come stock with an LSD either. I saw you mention that in another post a few days ago. Carry on.

Sent from my HTC One using the power of Mary's purse

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score

As mentioned above renegades are not higher when new, same height as all the rest
Daystar does not call for 265-75-16s
8 inch wheels give you more issues with rubbing generally
Did you replace the shocks as well ?If not then new springs were a waste, plus you needed longer ones in the rear
If you installed new springs plus the cost of the daystar kit, you have as much almost as a good Ironman or OME full spring kit
Just saying.........:icon_rolleyes: