2002 Liberty Rebuild-Wont Start

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kaleb.Speegle

Reaction score
Hey guys. I just got finished rebuilding my 02 Liberty, worst headache causing rebuild Ive ever done by the way. Anyways, everything is back in and hooked up now and she wont start, she will crank, but other than that, nothing. Although, it has spit and sputtered a couple times, and one time it was actually started up just stalled out, but now wont start back up. While it was one though I did get a couple of codes, one for the camshaft position sensor, which I fooled with the connector and got that one to go away, and another for the ignition system misfire, that one also went away after fooling with the cps. The jeep has sat up for about 10 months, could the gas possibly have gummed up in the pump. Or maybe the pcm, which I dont think it is. Please guys I need some help with this, any ideas???

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys. I just got finished rebuilding my 02 Liberty, worst headache causing rebuild Ive ever done by the way. Anyways, everything is back in and hooked up now and she wont start, she will crank, but other than that, nothing. Although, it has spit and sputtered a couple times, and one time it was actually started up just stalled out, but now wont start back up. While it was one though I did get a couple of codes, one for the camshaft position sensor, which I fooled with the connector and got that one to go away, and another for the ignition system misfire, that one also went away after fooling with the cps. The jeep has sat up for about 10 months, could the gas possibly have gummed up in the pump. Or maybe the pcm, which I dont think it is. Please guys I need some help with this, any ideas???

Did you rebuild your old engine and use the same camshaft sprocket for the timing chain and the same crankshaft reluctor ring?

For everything to work correctly with the '02 ignition system you have to use the cam sprocket and reluctor ring from an '02 thru '04 engine. If you use anything from '05 or later 3.7L then it won't start because the timing will not be correct thanks to different computers used between your engine and the '05s and later engines.

It sure seems that's the issue with yours since you've gotten the cps code.

Read through this thread to get an idea what I'm talking about.

Bob

Kaleb.Speegle

Reaction score
Yes, TwoBobsKJ, I used the same camshaft sprocket and relucter ring for the crank as well. I mean its is firing, occasionally, it did start up a couple times and sputter out. But now it wont do anything at all. Maybe the ckps?

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, TwoBobsKJ, I used the same camshaft sprocket and relucter ring for the crank as well. I mean its is firing, occasionally, it did start up a couple times and sputter out. But now it wont do anything at all. Maybe the ckps?

Yep, that's what I'd try next since you took care of the cam sensor already. Let us know what you end up trying.

Bob

keeponjeepin

Reaction score
I had a similar thing happen on rebuild, it was the crankshaft timing gear key - it cracked resulting in the crank gear moving forward just enough that it wouldn't run. Take a socket and move the crank back & forth and see if you have any play. If so that could be it. It can be fixed with engine still in. The key cracking is a common problem on 3.7/4.7's.

Kaleb.Speegle

Reaction score
Crank key isn't it either. But as far as firing goes I have an update. The driver side 1-3-5 plugs are al firing but the pass. Side 2-4-6 plugs are not. Any ideas?