2 weeks Post TM3.5" Econo lift, evaluation

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KJScott

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's been two weeks and 3 days since the install party. First, The quality of the parts is top notch.

The parts list:
Ironman front springs, shocks are yellow, thinking Ironman or Old Man Emu. Rear 4" JBA springs, Bilstein shocks. Y link extension (if you use as many washers as shown in the instructions, the lock nuts are useless), Terraflex bumpstops, JBA upper A arms. I also replaced the lower ball joints with greasable ones, and replaced CVs and intermediate shaft, new axle seals. I also opened up the A arm pockets as indicated. I only did the front one on each side and only the lower portion of each.

First week driving- just some around town driving and minor offroading one morning (pic). Then at the start of the 2nd week had an alignment done. Both before and after alignment, the ride quality over the old daystar lift is amazing. Speed bumps and 25mph are nothing. Railroad grade wash board, is smooth. Trailering my small boat is also a big improvement with the ride quality.

I have been carrying around 300 lbs of tools to aid with the rear settling down, only to take them out temporarily for the alignment last week. Still is a little high in back.

Since install, my front tires are rubbing the wheel wells by the fog light doors, this rubbing didn't happen on the daystar lift, so I am guessing the front is lower now with this lift. Now that the Y link is in a more natural position, I think my once stressed bushings and ball joint are shot. I tightened my noisy shock bolts but still have some racket back there on the right side on large bumps. But there are no squeeks and rattles from anything else. Don't tightening anything until all your parts are in (coil assy, clevis, top bolts) it will greatly help you so you don't have to fight parts to get bolts in.

Torquing everything once on the ground is key to no binding and squeeks. And think LUBE. If it moves, grease it, if it pivots, rotates, travels, grease it! If it was a pain to remove, think antiseize during install.

So my future plans are- I may have a drivers side axle seal leaking. My help was having a hard time installing the CV shaft, until I took care of it. The new seal may have been damaged. If I do have to replace the seal, I will replace both clevis spacers, 3/8 just doesn't seem to be enough, so I will buy the 1/2" spacers from JBA. I hope that will eliminate the front wheel well rubbing as well as level out the stance. I also may be replacing the boomerang assembly or just the bushings and balljoint.

If you are looking for a lift, get the Tommudd 3.5". I highly recommend it. Just do a lot of reading on this forum and get the shop manual directions, Jeepin By Al's instructions are for some reason limited and leave you guessing. Maybe they are written by people that can install the lift with their eyes closed and one arm tied.

The pic is on the side of a hill over washout and not a true depiction of the rake.

Attachments

• Pineda.jpg
    Pineda.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 115
Last edited:

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Ha , now I know who you are on Facebook
finally connected.........yeah took me a day or two :roflbow:

streetglideok

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Some of what you said sounds a lot like my own experience. I didn't get as much lift straight up from my Ironman springs as well, though the ride was great. I ended up using a 1/4" jba top plate, and did the 1/2" clevis lift on bottom. That made it about level then. I will need to eventually get JBA arms though. Ironman shocks are white, so I'm guessing you have OME front shocks in place of the Ironmans. I'm thinking of adding a preload spacer that JBA sells to load the front springs a little more, and then take out some of the clevis lift, or just put in the rear iso's I have unused.

KJScott

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm wondering how much difference I will get, going from a 3/8" to half inch spacer... I'm sure it's more than an 1/8" or that would be silly but looking at the JBA site, it may be only 1/4" difference, which would be frustrating since it seems like I need to add another 3/4" to get a decent stance. If I had a brain I would have measured before and after the lift.

streetglideok

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Now bear in mind, Im running a 15x7 wheel with 4" offset, so that loads and puts more leverage against my front springs than the wheels you may run. I had 20" with just the Ironman springs and OME shocks in front. I did the 1/4 top and 1/2" clevis, and I was at 22.5". I haven't remeasured since I did that a week ago.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm wondering how much difference I will get, going from a 3/8" to half inch spacer... I'm sure it's more than an 1/8" or that would be silly but looking at the JBA site, it may be only 1/4" difference, which would be frustrating since it seems like I need to add another 3/4" to get a decent stance. If I had a brain I would have measured before and after the lift.

Get about a 1/2 inch lift more

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Some of what you said sounds a lot like my own experience. I didn't get as much lift straight up from my Ironman springs as well, though the ride was great. I ended up using a 1/4" jba top plate, and did the 1/2" clevis lift on bottom. That made it about level then. I will need to eventually get JBA arms though. Ironman shocks are white, so I'm guessing you have OME front shocks in place of the Ironmans. I'm thinking of adding a preload spacer that JBA sells to load the front springs a little more, and then take out some of the clevis lift, or just put in the rear iso's I have unused.

The preload spacer will not give you more lift per se , it will just give you more strength to handle the winch/ Detours etc I would not remove the clevis lift etc

streetglideok

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just thought it may make things sit a little higher like an OME spring would. I'll definitely need it whenever I hang a winch up front.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I go by my real first name and the first two letters of my ham callsign,lol. My facebook pic shows aspens
I even threw a hint out there lol

Just got on there and found ya,
I use same name on all forums
use another name on Facebook
never use my real name except on official paperwork

streetglideok

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've had a couple of names on forums but I've settled on this one from my Harley days. Altered my name on FB so that it doesn't pull up my real name. If you look past my endless political babble, I have a thousand or so pics on there of our various trips around the state mostly. I'll have to work on getting some KJs in them in the future though.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I've had a couple of names on forums but I've settled on this one from my Harley days. Altered my name on FB so that it doesn't pull up my real name. If you look past my endless political babble, I have a thousand or so pics on there of our various trips around the state mostly. I'll have to work on getting some KJs in them in the future though.

That works
I'm not even sure what pictures are on my Facebook anymore, I deleted a lot of them at one point.
What year H do you have?
My last was a FXRT SportGlide , bought new in 86 put over 98,000 on it before someone offered me "way" more for it than what I bought it for new
Miss it, lasted longer than 4 or 5 women

streetglideok

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Had an '07 FLHX Streetglide, 96ci twinkie, with Rinehart TD's, and SE255 cams. Remapped the fuel program and timing myself. She had to go though before we moved out here to the milehigh state. Hence the OK for Oklahoma in the name. Lot of guys really liked the old FXR bikes. Something to be said about the older Evos, though the twinkies can make some serious power in comparison. I have a couple of pics on facebook of the scooter when I had her, and some on photobucket.

Last edited:

KJScott

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well the left side axle seal is definitely slowly leaking, I will be replacing it when the seal arrives, so I will go ahead and install the .50" clevis spacers since I am tearing things apart anyway. At least everything will be easier to break loose now.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
well the left side axle seal is definitely slowly leaking, I will be replacing it when the seal arrives, so I will go ahead and install the .50" clevis spacers since I am tearing things apart anyway. At least everything will be easier to break loose now.

It'll be like mine , I get my tools out, lay them beside the Jeep with the tires off and then I walk away for 5 minutes, come back and everything is removed. Front suspension has been apart so many times trying out different setups it just knows what to do now.