0W-30 and noises

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Simpleman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I started using the 0W-30 Mobile 1 Syn yesterday, and now have that dreaded timing chain rattle for a few minutes after start up. Anyone else using 0W-30, and notice this?

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Never heard of anyone using 0w-30. For what reason are you using an oil that thin?

And I always thought that noise was the lifters?

belvedere

Full Access Member
Reaction score
0W30 is fine to use. It's only thinner in cold temps, which is what you want. At operating temps, it's a 30 weight, just like 5W30, 10W30, or SAE 30.

As for the noise, that seems to be a common complaint with M1. I don't use it personally, but I know that others have had the same issue in various engines when using M1. You'd have to ask others that run it in the 3.7 to see what they've noticed. That being said, while the extra noise may be annoying, I doubt it's harmful.

Simpleman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am trying the 0W-30 because it says it exceeds the requirements of 5W-30, and is better on gas. The oil has a reduced viscosity while cold but it is still 30 weight oil.

speedracerbubba

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I changed my oil I used mobil1 10w30 and have had no problems and it is a minuscule bit quieter on start-up than the stuff the dealer changed it with when I bought it.

Simpleman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks belvedere. I had this exact same noise with my 3.9ltr Dakota for years until I added the chain tensioner. I just have not had this noise until today the morning after i start using the new oil. I may have to replace my chain and tensioner on the liberty this summer.

Simpleman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I could see using 10W30 if I was out west, but here in Virginia it is to thick (when cold) for me to want to risk using it.

J-Thompson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
all I use is 10 30
mobile 1
in my Jeeps
I have run 10 30 in temps down to the single digits in a TJ 4.0 ,know for lifter knock
and have no issues
The problem may be from the this a$$ oil you put in there
car calls for 10 30 on the oil cap ,put that
any thing else is to thin
I know that the TJ uses the engine oil in the lifters and when it is very cold the 4.0 will knock for a few minutes but even out quickly
same goes for the 3.7 in the KJ

RageOfFury

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Using Castrol Syntec 0W-30, aka German Castrol. 0 noises. What filter are you using?

all I use is 10 30
mobile 1
in my Jeeps
I have run 10 30 in temps down to the single digits in a TJ 4.0 ,know for lifter knock
and have no issues
The problem may be from the this a$$ oil you put in there
car calls for 10 30 on the oil cap ,put that
any thing else is to thin
I know that the TJ uses the engine oil in the lifters and when it is very cold the 4.0 will knock for a few minutes but even out quickly
same goes for the 3.7 in the KJ
The 4.0L engine and the 3.7L have NOTHING in common. What's good for the 4.0L, isn't necessarily good for the 3.7. 0W-30 isn't thin and it's not a$$ oil. It's a 30 weight, just like 5W-30, 10W-30. Do your homework next time before replying.

For all of you that say that 0W-30 is too thin, read this : http://ferrarichat.com/forum/faq.php?faq=haas_articles#faq_motor_oil_basics

Last edited:

J-Thompson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
RageofFury
My cap on both Jeeps reads 10 30
That is what I put
My F250 5.4L gasser that I push to the limit calls for 5 30 ,on the cap
That is what I put
any thing else is WRONG
but hey if you want some lube power I had some Mexican food the other day and boy
that stuff will lube up the system if you know what I mean

OH and FWIIW I was refering to the fact that both the 3.7 and the 4.0 have Hydro lifters
I know that the 3.7 and the 4.0 have nothing in common
the 4.0 is........
the 3.7 is not......

any way if you want to get technical you should be running the proper oil for the climate ,thus the reason why my Jeeps have 10W30 on the cap and others have 5W30
and probably why the owners guide specs 2 different oils depending on the max out side temp
considering that it is rare for the area I am in to drop below 40*F for more than a week I dont bother with the thin stuff ,thin being at start up
The article would also explain why some hear lifter knock when it gets could ,oil is to thick, but wait that is a 4.0 thing and the 3.7 has nothing in common with the 4.0

any way do what you will fact remains no one here know more than the people who build the thing
try getting warranty on that claim
"yeah my engine is FUBAR"
"well sir you ran the wrong wt oil in it"
"yeah but that are the same at blah blah blah"
That will go over like a fart in church

Last edited:

RageOfFury

Full Access Member
Reaction score
RageofFury
My cap on both Jeeps reads 10 30
That is what I put
My F250 5.4L gasser that I push to the limit calls for 5 30 ,on the cap
That is what I put
any thing else is WRONG
but hey if you want some lube power I had some Mexican food the other day and boy
that stuff will lube up the system if you know what I mean

OH and FWIIW I was refering to the fact that both the 3.7 and the 4.0 have Hydro lifters
I know that the 3.7 and the 4.0 have nothing in common
the 4.0 is........
the 3.7 is not......
You must be registered for see images

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am trying the 0W-30 because it says it exceeds the requirements of 5W-30, and is better on gas. The oil has a reduced viscosity while cold but it is still 30 weight oil.
But has a drastic effect on engine longevity.Those thinner oils(0w and 5w20's) are really not the ideal oil weights for your engine as they are used only to meet the federal mpg standards and the cost of your engines longevity.Just wait they just raised the mpg standard by almost 10mpg's for 2016,expect 50k-100k engine changes will be the norm when running 0w10 oil and thinner in the diffs.

Been running Mobil1 extended performance 5w-30 since mile 100 in my KJ,zero issues and now at 70,250miles(get's changed every 3k no matter what).

RageOfFury

Full Access Member
Reaction score
But has a drastic effect on engine longevity.Those thinner oils(0w and 5w20's) are really not the ideal oil weights for your engine as they are used only to meet the federal mpg standards and the cost of your engines longevity.Just wait they just raised the mpg standard by almost 10mpg's for 2016,expect 50k-100k engine changes will be the norm when running 0w10 oil and thinner in the diffs.

Been running Mobil1 extended performance 5w-30 since mile 100 in my KJ,zero issues and now at 70,250miles(get's changed every 3k no matter what).
0W-30 is still a 30 weight oil though. It's not thin. 5W-20 is thinner yes, since it's a 20 weight oil.

Honestly people, read : http://ferrarichat.com/forum/faq.php?faq=haas_articles#faq_motor_oil_basics

Time to face the music. We are in 2010, not 1990 (attn)

Status
Not open for further replies.