0W-30 and noises

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ridenby

Gold Supporter
Reaction score
Just wonder how much of a millage increase one gets from 0W30? A 10th of a mile would surprise me. I do believe in using weight of oil recommended for a given engine. And change it at 3000m, OIL and GREASE are cheap,parts ain't.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
0W-30 is still a 30 weight oil though. It's not thin. 5W-20 is thinner yes, since it's a 20 weight oil.

Honestly people, read : http://ferrarichat.com/forum/faq.php?faq=haas_articles#faq_motor_oil_basics

Time to face the music. We are in 2010, not 1990 (attn)
It's not 30 weight till it reaches operating temps,when your engine is cold it actually needs more oil pressure since the clearances are "loose" until at operating temps.You don't get that nice high oil psi with 0w oil.That is fact.

Oh and in the '90's 5w30 was frowned upon and 10w30 and 10w40 was the norm.The tolerances have become tighter in newer engines('00+) but not tight enough for 0w oils or even 5w20 oils,when the engines have the required tolerances are reached for those oils the engine will top the price of most low end luxury cars and that's just the engine cost.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
It's not 30 weight till it reaches operating temps,when your engine is cold it actually needs more oil pressure since the clearances are "loose" until at operating temps.You don't get that nice high oil psi with 0w oil.That is fact.

There is a reason why the manufacturers recommend certain viscosities.
The obvious concern as mentioned by Troy is cold reduced oil pressure.
My concern as above is the potential for additional wear, lack of lubrication, and sheer strength after start up. After an engine sits all night is not the time for a chance of lack of lubrication. Personally I am not willing to take a chance with my motor, I run synthetic 5-w-30,quality filter, and change it every 4k.
I would like to see in those running 0-weight just once to try a bottle of STP and see if your engine quietens down. You will have less wear on start up and the sheer strength will be greatly improved. Bearings, rings, valves appreciate proper lubrication.

Last edited:

ThunderbirdJunkie

Bronze Supporter
Reaction score
I would never put oil in my engine.

Fixed
I am trying the 0W-30 because it says it exceeds the requirements of 5W-30, and is better on gas. The oil has a reduced viscosity while cold but it is still 30 weight oil.

During startup, the thin oil THEORETICALLY would get to the nether regions of the engine more rapidly, however the thinner viscosity is not going to allow good pressure until the oil reaches 100 degrees Fahrenheit. It will not do you any better on fuel economy, and that is a fact.
The 4.0L engine and the 3.7L have NOTHING in common. What's good for the 4.0L, isn't necessarily good for the 3.7. 0W-30 isn't thin and it's not a$$ oil. It's a 30 weight, just like 5W-30, 10W-30. Do your homework next time before replying.

For all of you that say that 0W-30 is too thin, read this : http://ferrarichat.com/forum/faq.php?faq=haas_articles#faq_motor_oil_basics

Oh, yeah, Ferraris use it so it must be true for Jeeps. After all, what's good for the 4.0 is good for the 3.7
(bowdown):rolleyes: Do your homework next time before replying.

ThunderbirdJunkie

Bronze Supporter
Reaction score

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score

ThunderbirdJunkie

Bronze Supporter
Reaction score
NO WAY BRO
A FERRARI F355 HAS A 3.5 LITER ENGINE
WHICH IS ALMOST THE SAME AS A 3.7 LITER ENGINE
RIIIIIIIIIGHT
:D

Hmm. Caps key must be stuck :eek:

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
If the "FERRARI" 3.5 (375 HP) 5 valve is similar maybe it will fit into the KJ !
That would be exciting!
(popcorn)

Nooby

Full Access Member
Reaction score
is this are 3.7 engine?

I found another 3.7 engine
must be the same
oh wait its 3.7hp opps

You must be registered for see images

Description
Features
-3.7HP/8500rpm
-Idle Speed: 1600rpm/min.
-8.5KG Pulling Force/ 100 meters Altitude
-7.5KG Pulling Force/1800 meters Altitude
-The specification of the aircraft propeller:18x8, 18x10, 19x8, 20x8
-The type of the sparking plug: NGK CM6
Product Details
-Exhaust Amount: 30.5cm3
-Diameter x stroke:36mmx30mm
-Ratio of compression: 7.6:1
-Ratio of lubricating capacity: 30:1
-Weight: Main engine-910g. Exhaust Pipe-60g
-Ignition equipment-120g
Item Packing
-DLE30 30CC Gas Engine x 1 full set
-English manual x 1

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
You'd have to SFA it so you can gear into the 7:1 range to make use of that 8800rpm redline,no power till you hit about 6krpm's.Don't think it would be to fun in a KJ.

Ah... I was kidding..Don't you sleep?
SFA ..?? I was thinking RWD 6 speed with 4;11s and traction bars...
My neighbors would love me, leave a serious patch every time you shift, with a 50 shot too!
But then I would prefer a real purpose built hemi engine!

Last edited:

rockymountain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
RageofFury
My cap on both Jeeps reads 10 30
That is what I put
My F250 5.4L gasser that I push to the limit calls for 5 30 ,on the cap
That is what I put
any thing else is WRONG

don't the 5.4L fords ask for 5 20? What jeeps do you have that take 10 30? I'm just curious.

RageOfFury

Full Access Member
Reaction score
(lol) Lol you guys make me laugh. You didn't read that article whatsoever did ya? nono.gif 0W isn't thin. Get your head out of that myth. A 30 weight is a 30 weight. That's fact. Also, It's not all about weight btw, gotta check out what certifications the oil has. If a 0W and a 5W both meet API SL/SM and have the starburst then the only difference is cold temp performance.

I don't wanna be a prick or be rude, but come on, do some research now boys poke.gif

Interesting read here for those that wanna learn something : http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1851401&page=1

But hey, if you wanna keep your head in the sand, that's your choice.

/thread

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
(lol) Lol you guys make me laugh. You didn't read that article whatsoever did ya? nono.gif 0W isn't thin. Get your head out of that myth. A 30 weight is a 30 weight. That's fact. Also, It's not all about weight btw, gotta check out what certifications the oil has. If a 0W and a 5W both meet API SL/SM and have the starburst then the only difference is cold temp performance.

I don't wanna be a prick or be rude, but come on, do some research now boys poke.gif

Interesting read here for those that wanna learn something : http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1851401&page=1

/thread
That website is crap also,and 0w oil is very thin,might as well just pour water in the engine(you'll get better pressure).I do my research(more like training) as I deal with this junk everyday and get a little more info then you do right from the source and get to see/fix/deal with the long term results.

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score

/thread

Why do you just have to be the know-it-all? Just because you said it, or in this case, found a bunch of links online which you believe to be true, doesn't mean that it applies to every single frickin case.

The point of the matter is this

Chrysler doesn't specify 0W-30 in the KJ.

Which means it shouldn't (censored) be used.

Period.

There is no way around that.

So of course there will be noises on STARTUP. THE OIL IS TOO THIN AT THAT TIME. PERIOD. Don't care WHAT ANYONE SAYS. That's just the way it is.

I love these "internet writeups" btw. They always start off that way "David Idiot is a professor at _______ and has three doctorates, four masters, and 8 bachelor's degrees in _Insert unrelated subject here_."

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oil weight is real simple. My owners manual (and FSM) for my 05 MY says 5w30 preferred. That's what I run. My oil cap also says 5w30 so they must have put it there for a reason.

I figure the engineers that made the engine know more than me what oil weight is best for the engine they made.

Dave

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
Oil weight is real simple. My owners manual (and FSM) for my 05 MY says 5w30 preferred. That's what I run. My oil cap also says 5w30 so they must have put it there for a reason.

I figure the engineers that made the engine know more than me what oil weight is best for the engine they made.

Dave

OMG, who would have thought that was so frickin simple?!

Just do what the book says!

No argument necessary!

Wow!

Great job, Dave. ;) lol3.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.