0W-30 and noises

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Status
Not open for further replies.

J-Thompson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
don't the 5.4L fords ask for 5 20? What jeeps do you have that take 10 30? I'm just curious.

My bad on the F250
my '02 called for 10w30
I am in the '09 and it does call for 5w20
I have an '02 TJ with a 4.0 and it calls for 10w30
the '03 KJ I thought for sure called for 10w30
I never had to change the oil my self as we had the deal
when the gave free oil changes for the first 70k
I know the reminder sticker said 10w30 and all but the last
2 were done at the dealer

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
Maybe they used 10W30 in your Jeep because you live in the South and don't really NEED to run 5W30? That IS listed in the owners manual, but I'd probably still run 5W30 year round, regardless of temperature.

Dunno about the 3.7L, but the 2.0L in my mom's vehicle throws a fit on cold start if it doesn't have 5W30 in it. It had a few changes of 10W30, and it doesn't like it at all.

RageOfFury

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Unbelievable how many have their head in the sand. Saying 0W-30 is thin and will f-up your engine. LOL laughable! That myth has been debunked so many times.

Pathetic when people will use scare tactics instead of admitting they are wrong.

I get my facts from various sources, among which are engineers from SOPUS(Shell) and engineers from API & ACEA. I don't know it all, far from it. But I do my research and base what I am saying on up to date facts, not myths.

BTW the best oil for the AMC/Jeep 4.0L is HDEO 5W-40.

For more info about oil, for facts, not fiction, head on over to http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php

But hey, if you wanna stick to myths, be my guess.

Oh, I never said 5W-30 is wrong or 10W-30 is wrong. Depending on the weather where you live, you can use 0W, 5W or 10W in the 3.7/4.7 without any downside.

Hey don't mean to be the bad guy, It's just well I don't know. Kinda frustrating when I see the OP getting blasted for using 0W-30 when it's perfectly alright. If he was using 0W-10 then yeah I'd take a hissy fit lol.

I come in peace!

Last edited:

ThunderbirdJunkie

Bronze Supporter
Reaction score
I don't wanna be a prick or be rude, but come on, do some research now boys poke.gif

So stop being a rude prick.
My bad on the F250
my '02 called for 10w30
I am in the '09 and it does call for 5w20
I have an '02 TJ with a 4.0 and it calls for 10w30
the '03 KJ I thought for sure called for 10w30
I never had to change the oil my self as we had the deal
when the gave free oil changes for the first 70k
I know the reminder sticker said 10w30 and all but the last
2 were done at the dealer

The F250s spec'd 10w30 instead of 5w20 because the 250 gets worked harder than the 150.

Also, '97-00 5.4s and 4.6s all specified 5w30, as did ThunderbirdJunkie's two 5.0L Exploders. His 5.0L T-bird (stock engine, that is) spec'd 10w30
Unbelievable how many have their head in the sand. Saying 0W-30 is thin and will f-up your engine. LOL laughable! That myth has been debunked so many times.

Pathetic when people will use scare tactics instead of admitting they are wrong.

I get my facts from various sources, among which are engineers from SOPUS(Shell) and engineers from API & ACEA. I don't know it all, far from it. But I do my research and base what I am saying on up to date facts, not myths.

BTW the best oil for the AMC/Jeep 4.0L is HDEO 5W-40.

For more info about oil, for facts, not fiction, head on over to http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php

But hey, if you wanna stick to myths, be my guess.

Oh, I never said 5W-30 is wrong or 10W-30 is wrong. Depending on the weather where you live, you can use 0W, 5W or 10W in the 3.7/4.7 without any downside.

Hey don't mean to be the bad guy, It's just well I don't know. Kinda frustrating when I see the OP getting blasted for using 0W-30 when it's perfectly alright. If he was using 0W-10 then yeah I'd take a hissy fit lol.

I come in peace!

Myths? How many myths have you personally dispelled? Get back to us after 100,000 miles of hot starts with your 0w20 or whateverthefuckitis you're running before you go and lecture those of us that have ACTUAL EXPERIENCE with these engines and what works in them and what does not.
Son, you REALLY need to stop insulting people just because they disagree with you and put a kibash on the inflammatory posts. You're not making any friends here, so why don't you go back to your corner, run 0w30 oil in your 3.7, and continue beating off to pictures of skanky used-up **** stars? Seriously, dude, YOU SPECIFICALLY STATED THAT 0W30 IS STILL 30 WEIGHT BUT WEIGHT DOESN'T MATTER, BUT CONTINUE TO BEAT THE FACT THAT 0W30 IS STILL 30 WEIGHT?

BRB, buying some 30wt ND to put in the KJ. 'cuz like, it's still 30wt, right?

DERP

RageOfFury

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So stop being a rude prick.

The F250s spec'd 10w30 instead of 5w20 because the 250 gets worked harder than the 150.

Also, '97-00 5.4s and 4.6s all specified 5w30, as did ThunderbirdJunkie's two 5.0L Exploders. His 5.0L T-bird (stock engine, that is) spec'd 10w30

Myths? How many myths have you personally dispelled? Get back to us after 100,000 miles of hot starts with your 0w20 or whateverthefuckitis you're running before you go and lecture those of us that have ACTUAL EXPERIENCE with these engines and what works in them and what does not.
Son, you REALLY need to stop insulting people just because they disagree with you and put a kibash on the inflammatory posts. You're not making any friends here, so why don't you go back to your corner, run 0w30 oil in your 3.7, and continue beating off to pictures of skanky used-up **** stars? Seriously, dude, YOU SPECIFICALLY STATED THAT 0W30 IS STILL 30 WEIGHT BUT WEIGHT DOESN'T MATTER, BUT CONTINUE TO BEAT THE FACT THAT 0W30 IS STILL 30 WEIGHT?

BRB, buying some 30wt ND to put in the KJ. 'cuz like, it's still 30wt, right?

DERP

Honestly...we are having a heated debate, no need for personal attacks. But hey I ain't surprised coming from you. Every post I've seen from you in this forum has been nothing but trolling and flame baiting.

So, for you I respond with this:

You must be registered for see images

Keep on believing the world is flat if you wanna...:rolleyes:

yellocoyote

Administrator
Reaction score
Let's lay off the name-calling and flame-throwing guys... you can say what you need to say without all that. ;)

RageOfFury

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey If I insulted anyone I'm truly sorry.:eek:

Can we agree to disagree and just let eachother use whatever we want?\\:D/

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
At this point..give peace a chance! Enough!!doughpoke.gif
Why don't we just concede and agree that any oil is better than none at all!:-s
Just ask Budke!:)

J-Thompson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think I said way back on page 1 to run what you want
but any thing other than what is speced for the engine in
question is wrong
we all know that no where is it printed that 0w30 is ok for the
Jeep 3.7 thus the reason why the op is getting his noise
also why this has gone on as long as it has
some one keeps trying to know more than the people who make
the engine
and now I will rest

RageOfFury

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think I said way back on page 1 to run what you want
but any thing other than what is speced for the engine in
question is wrong
we all know that no where is it printed that 0w30 is ok for the
Jeep 3.7 thus the reason why the op is getting his noise
also why this has gone on as long as it has
some one keeps trying to know more than the people who make
the engine
and now I will rest
That's your opinion...No where does say that 0W-30 is wrong for the 3.7. Using it here. 0 issues. Though I aint using any ordinary 0W-30.

Just wanted to clarify that.;)

Last edited:

osufans

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Regarding the article on the ferrarichat page...it is interesting. I can see the argument that even a 0W is still too thick at engine start up.....however, I find fault with the fact that the author makes sure to drop some credentials in the opening line, but fails to use spellchecker accurately.

And again, this is an article with no external references to manufacturer information to support his claims. I realize he stated that was his intent, but to make such substantial claims without any evidence requires a great deal of faith to believe in, and I'm not one to believe someone's opinion when the potential outcome does not cost them, but me.

I think engine oil is just like religion....we all need it, but we can't agree what kind we need. :)

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's your opinion...No where does say that 0W-30 is wrong for the 3.7. Using it here. 0 issues. Though I aint using any ordinary 0W-30.

Just wanted to clarify that.;)
Stated right in the '06 Kj owners manual................

Engine Oil Selection (Gasoline Engines)
For best performance and maximum protection for all
engines under all types of operating conditions, the
manufacturer recommends engine oils that are API Certified
and meet the requirements of DaimlerChrysler
Material Standard MS-6395.

Engine Oil Viscosity (2.4L and 3.7L Engines)
SAE 5W-30 engine oil is recommended for all operating
temperatures. This engine oil improves low temperature
starting and vehicle fuel economy. Refer to your
engine oil filler cap for the recommended engine oil
viscosity for your vehicle.

Don't see any mention of any 0w oils specifically meeting MS-6395.

Porkchop

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Note vicosity not weight da
I to have taken classes on this and not just read up on it. Sure sounds like Tjkj has too
Just saying maybe if you took classes on oils and vicositys you might learn somthing you didnt know before.

Status
Not open for further replies.