08' Liberty power outlet removal

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rhoads

Reaction score
My power outlet on the center dash (by the AC controls) went bad. Every time I plug a charger into the outlet the fuse blows. So instead of buying a new power outlet I'd like to buy a cigarette lighter instead (which I believe does charging as well).

Here's what I'm looking at buying, they claim this is compatible with the 08's. h**p://www.car-stuff.com/2008jeeplibertycigarettelighter.htm

So how do you remove the outlet to install this new one? From looking at the dash, looks like the fake metallic strips on either side just pry off and I'm hoping there might be some screws underneath there.

Thanks in advance for any replies.

I'm still under warranty buy my local Jeep dealers are being pain the ***** about getting me in for service. So screw them, I'll do it myself !!! Just got this 2008 liberty a couple weeks ago and so far it's ok. Wish it had power assisted steering or rack n' pinion. Hate power steering, feels like an old lincoln town car. Just measured my 2st tank of gas and getting 17mpg (both highway and city). Bought a chip that claims and extra 3-7mpg but will see. Haven't installed it yet and not holding my breathe on a $40 chip.

dbldune

Reaction score
Be careful with the chip it might void your warranty.

rockymountain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would do this. Put a REAL power inverter in there. Run your own wires and be done with it.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f292/mod-120vac-upgrade-926878/

This guy did a steller job. I'm thinking of trying this in my KJ. Haven't even started looking at it though.

EDIT:
Sorry, thought you meant the rear outlets. I just re-read and see that you're talking about the front. By bad.

...and yea, throw that chip in the trash.

Last edited: