No Transmission Dipstick on '07 Liberty???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Havoline

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know why the 2007 Liberty with the automatic transmission doesn't have a transmission dipstick? Mine has a little cap on the top of the tube saying something about it being "for dealer use only". How are you supposed to check your transmission fluid? Would there be any reason why you couldn't buy and install a dipstick if you wanted to? :-k

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
I'm not sure why, but that's the way they are.

I'm pretty sure you could buy a dipstick from the dealer... just tell them it's for a 2006.

2003KJ

Reaction score
I guess it's Chrysler's attempt at getting you back to the dealer for ANYTHING......doesn't make a damn bit of sense if you ask me.

thecause17

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Gentleman said:
This is the current thing, it's not only Jeep, but across a lot of manufacturers

Bob

Can't say it surprises me...go right along with using screw heads and other things that require special tools to work on...same idea.

tgh117

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My VW jetta doesn't have a dipstick, becuase the fluid never needs replaced for the life of the vehicle. I actually called the dealer to ask about a flush, and they suggested I didn't want to do that because it would cause the transmission to blow up. The fluid in a VW looks more like 0W-40 motor oil then it does transmission fluid, but I got 110,000 on it and it still drives like it was 10,000 miles on it, so maybe the libertys will be using some sort of fluid like this?

Who knows.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a dipstick so I guess that makes me a "dipstick guy"

atmk631

Reaction score
Does anyone know why the 2007 Liberty with the automatic transmission doesn't have a transmission dipstick? Mine has a little cap on the top of the tube saying something about it being "for dealer use only". How are you supposed to check your transmission fluid? Would there be any reason why you couldn't buy and install a dipstick if you wanted to? :-k

If you had any luck with a 2006 dipstick working, let me know. I am also trying to find out if the transmission is identical to the 2006 automatic. Dealer told me the 2007 was a sealed unit, whatever that means. Thanks
Jon

desertkj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you had any luck with a 2006 dipstick working, let me know. I am also trying to find out if the transmission is identical to the 2006 automatic. Dealer told me the 2007 was a sealed unit, whatever that means. Thanks
Jon
I would never go to that dealer again. I don't understand how a transmission could be a sealed unit....

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
Jon

It will work. Dealer is full of BS.

MarkB

Reaction score
2007 Dipstick

Mine is the same way. I asked the dealer if I could purchase one and he said no. I was told today by the service manager that the 2007 has a re-designed ******, that is different from the 2006 or the 2008. You got it must be a Bas#%rd. Getting real close for the Texas Lemon Law.

MarkB

Reaction score
I do know that there are several makes and models going to sealed trannys. My daughter has a 2004 Cavalier and it doesn't even have a dip stick tube.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score

Powerslave

Banned
Reaction score
Then, no one will be thinking with their Dipstick, Jimmy...

There is no real or ideal thing as a sealed transmission, especially a Chrysler one. There is always a way to maintenance the transmission, even on those so-called sealed ones. This goes all the way back to the 2001 (down to 1996?) Sunfire, they only had a cap as well. Some also claimed they ARE sealed. Chrysler would have some real arrogance to seal their automatics, they can't have that much confidence in them. The people with the sunfires, you could remove a hex nut that was above the transmission pan, and add fluid.

The only automatic transmissions, that work the way they are supposed to, that probably would not need any maintenance the LIFE of the CAR, would be the CVT.

The link for disappearing dipstick does not work, it reroutes tot he HOME page.

Last edited:

Atrus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I do know that there are several makes and models going to sealed trannys. My daughter has a 2004 Cavalier and it doesn't even have a dip stick tube.

My wife's 2005 G6 doesn't have one either. It has an inspection plug in the most horrendous place ever. Took me forever to find.