06 Liberty Thermostat

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

buggsteer

Reaction score
Hello, I tried searching for an answer already but had no luck so here it goes. My 06 Liberty has a leak in the thermostat and I was told it needs a new gasket. With this info, I started thinking should I just replace the thermostat since I will already have it in the shop? Also, does anyone have an estimate on how much a shop should charge? I'm not much of a mechanic and need some more knowledge! Thanks in advance!

renegade 04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Welcome! I would a head and get a thermostat and also get a new gasket. if they are already replacing the thermostat gasket it will only cost you the money to buy the part and not any extra labor.

uss2defiant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The gasket is part of the thermostat with the new mopar part.
You can certainly purchase a new gasket to place around the thermostat and reuse the old one. Depending on how many miles you have already with the T-stat, you might as well change it.
It's a cheap part at $14.22 with free shipping from
Jeep Parts - Avondale Wholesale Parts

Part # 68174083AA

Refer to this thread for some additional info
http://www.jeepkj.com/forum/f196/thermostat-specifications-jeep-liberty-kj-3-7-a-56107/

There's also this youtube you can refer to for DIY installation. It's pretty easy.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nv0HpH2ymB4

The bleader hole just need to be on the top. Also the t-stat housing is plastic so that might need replacement as well.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
The bleader hole just need to be on the top. Also the t-stat housing is plastic so that might need replacement as well.
I would consider having a new lower rad hose & both the Mopar t-stat & housing ready, if you are doing this job yourself.
Nothing worse than having the new lower rad hose,thermostat and then see a crack in the plastic housing and no part at hand= EEK.... :icon_lol: