05 renegade power/electric goes out and then comes back

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

WestlakeOH

Reaction score
My bought my 05 Renegade about 3 weeks ago at auction developed a weird electrical issue today that I had not experienced before. I stopped a store and when I got back into vehicle there was no electrical (lights, radio, etc., & the remote wouldn't work). I lifted the hood and jostled the battery, clicked on the fob and it worked. Got back in the Renegade and it started fine. Decided to get a new battery thinking it had a dead cell. After new battery installed I drove to get gas and as I was waiting for the car ahead to finish the jeep just stopped running displaying the same dead electrical symptoms. I got out opened the hood, jostled the battery and it started. after filling up went to harbor freight and the systems happened all over again.

Obviously not the battery. I've done a number of minor repairs/updates including new spark plugs and coil packs (two weeks ago) with no issues. Last night I replaced the taillight wiring harness as there was a bad wire in the original as the rear left taillight and license plate light didn't work. With the new harness, everything worked fine.

Any ideas what could be suddenly causing the electric to go out completely and then come back?

jeeplib05

Full Access Member
Reaction score
(This may sound stupid) but I would double check and make sure your battery terminals are tightened all of the way
My ground wouldn't tighten all of the way (PO stripped the nut) and after unlocking the KJ with the fob, I went to turn the key and it went completely dead
Opened the hood and moved around the ground wire and it would all come back on
I got fed up with it so I replaced the battery and terminals and all is well

The reason I say this is because you shaking the battery and it coming back on makes me think the terminal wiggles its way in a certain spot where it kills the KJ, but when you shake the battery it reconnects so it may just be too loose

Try that first I would say and if that doesn't fix the issue then someone else can chime in as I have no clue what it could be