'05 Renegade fixer-upper

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CalcityRenegade

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Awesome work! Hard work can go a long way, Imagine what your friend will think when she see's the completed KJ that she gave away, My Renegade in is mint condition but the side steps were rusted beyond belief, Huge difference getting rid of them, Much bulkier than the rock rails you have!

Leeann

Full Access Member
Reaction score
She's seen it - even borrowed it for a weekend when she visited her parents :icon_lol:

She misses it but likes her 'new' car more.

uss2defiant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
quick question, my jeep didn't have a transmission skid plate but does have the transfer and front suspension plates.
Are there pre-existing holes to bolt on a transmission skid plate?
or does a MOPAR transmission skid plate not exist?
Thanks

Last edited:

Leeann

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Holes should be there, nutserts might not be. Mopar ****** skid certainly does exist as the one in my pics is, in fact, Mopar. All 3 skids are. All 3 skids were the 'armor' package offered. Someone damaged, lost or removed it on purpose.

uss2defiant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I see. My factor package was the front sus, transfer case, and gas tank skid plates according to build sheet. No transmission skid plate.
I'm having a hard time finding one for the 03.
Where did you get yours?

Thanks.

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
quick question, my jeep didn't have a transmission skid plate but does have the transfer and front suspension plates.
Are there pre-existing holes to bolt on a transmission skid plate?
or does a MOPAR transmission skid plate not exist?
Thanks

I have a Mopar ****** skid plate that was on my '03 that's for sale. I modded it to fit - and since you have the engine and transfer case skids this will bolt right up. Mine came with the same package and this skid fit fine once I modded it slightly.

$40 plus shipping and it's yours :waytogo:

You must be registered for see images

Bob

VAPoorBoy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Great write up. I know what I have to look forward too in the future or near future with mine.

Leeann

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Driver's side taillight and license plate lights went bye-bye the other night.

Checked the bulbs; no problem. Checked the socket; toasty. Ordered new Mopar sockets from a dealer on eBay - hate my local dealer - on Friday, got them today.

Replaced the socket, put in a new bulb. Replaced the blown fuse. Bam! Instant taillight - and all other lights still work.

While I was there with the correct Torx bit, replaced the headlight/wiper stalks. Mine were a little wonky as the dash lights would go full blast, then dim to the correct setting or change the dimmer if I touched the blinkers.'

Put the new stalks in:
You must be registered for see images attach

Pretty

Burnt socket - it's blacker than it looks:

Leeann

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Replaced the front brakes with NAPA Adaptive One pads and Ultra Premium rotors. The old ones weren't that bad, but the rotors were warped and driving me a bit nuts.

Pulled off the driver's side wheel to see....this:

Well, crap. Guess I'm getting upper control arms. Soon. Driver's side was worse on everything - more rust, more corrosion, more fight.

New installed, after cleaning everything with a wire brush, brakleen and lubing everything in sight:

Over to the passenger side. That ball joint isn't nearly as bad, but I replace things in pairs.

New brake on that side, again after brushing, cleaning and lubing:

Then I topped off the front diff and changed the (overdue and black) oil.

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nice writeup Leeann. Where did you get your headlight/wiper stalk unit? Mine's getting a bit weird too and I probably shouldn't push my luck.

You going with OEM-style control arms or JBA?

Bob

Leeann

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I haven't done any looking yet, so I don't know if I'll go OEM or JBA. I like the idea of replacing my ball joints separately, but the arms are a little pricey. So I dunno yet.

I got the stalks on eBay from a guy who'd bought them but didn't end up needing them, so I got them for a lot less than dealer price (I waited until the third time he listed them to buy). Still in Mopar box and bag.

Leeann

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Strike that. It works out to be the same and I can change the ball joints when I need to....looks like I'm going JBA.

EDIT: and it's done. Ordered.

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
Nice writeup Leeann. Where did you get your headlight/wiper stalk unit? Mine's getting a bit weird too and I probably shouldn't push my luck...

Do you need one with the pull-out fog light switch? I have my old one I replaced when I put the fog lights in. It's in perfect shape and is yours if you can use it.

Leeann

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ordered Mopar outer tie rod ends while I was at it. The driver's outer didn't look all that good. Again, the passenger side wasn't as bad.

This is getting 'spensive...