05 KJ Wont Start..

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ROHO

Reaction score
So here's the story - My Jeep has been running great, nothing wrong or werid. It was running just fine last night, i drove it home and parked it and went to bed.
I come out the next moring and try to start it and it wont start.
It has gas. I know it's not my battery because my radio has power and we tryed to jump it off. Everytime you turn the key, it does'nt even click. All i does is make a kinda whine like noise that's very hard to hear.

So far i've tryed - jumping it off, cleaning the battery posts, starting it in differnt gears, and pushing then starting.

Any ideas of what it could be? Hopefully not my starter :eek:

Thanks, roho.

yellocoyote

Administrator
Reaction score
Try having the battery tested. KJ's develop some funny little gremlins when the battery is dead, or dying. When my battery was toast, I could still run the radio... but that was about it.

valvestem

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The whine you hear may be the fuel pump. The battery may just about dead as already said. The electronic ignition draws quite a few amps to run the engine, not to mention ABS, so your battery may not have enough life left to energize the starter. If it is the battery, a thorough check of the charging system would be OK too.

Also, if the battery is flat, even a jump start procedure might not work, unless the cables are hooked up long enough to put some life into the your battery, then it may or may not hold a charge/take a charge and you'll be back to square one.

Keep us posted as to what you find.

yellocoyote

Administrator
Reaction score
Also, if the battery is flat, even a jump start procedure might not work, unless the cables are hooked up long enough to put some life into the your battery, then it may or may not hold a charge/take a charge and you'll be back to square one.

This is very true, as I learned when my last battery died. There was no jump starting it. :(

ROHO

Reaction score
alright, my buddys going to come over and were going to try this. thanks.

Warren.fischbeck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Since you've got a buddy coming over, he can crawl under the jeep and see if the starter is getting juice or turning at all.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Instead of messing around just take a known good battery and put it in your Jeep. That'll take care of the guessing.

ROHO

Reaction score
Been working all day, finally found out that it's the ignition switch. A tiny little piece of metal broke off the back side of the switch. Then we turned the switch manully with a screw driver and it started up, but then died. Autozone doesn't sell the part i need to it look's like im taking a trip to jeep in the morning.

ROHO

Reaction score
Oh, i only have 1 other key on my keychain. haha. i was the part behind the switch that broke. Regardless im getting the part tomorrow so no worrys.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The same thing happed to me. There should really be a recall for that part but Chryslers a cheapskate :mad:
You should see the ignition switch failure rate for GM vehicles.

It's called mass production and crap will break. A recall will only happen when serious harm can result from a part that has widely failed or they find a flaw that can cause a accident,fire,and/or death.A broken ignition switch is not a safety hazard,it's a inconvenience at best.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
Slightly North of the 49° th. Parallel... In HongC
You should see the ignition switch failure rate for GM vehicles.

It's called mass production and crap will break. A recall will only happen when serious harm can result from a part that has widely failed or they find a flaw that can cause a accident,fire,and/or death.A broken ignition switch is not a safety hazard,it's a inconvenience at best.

So true!

Remember, GM is the one responsible for "Planned obsolescence"
Auto manufactures have to make money some how!

kb0nly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I call a broken ignition switch a safety hazard it you get stuck somewhere unsafe as your vehicle won't start, but anyway... At least i don't have that sentry key crap, so if my switch ever fails and i'm in dire consequences i will make it run no matter what.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I call a broken ignition switch a safety hazard it you get stuck somewhere unsafe as your vehicle won't start, but anyway... At least i don't have that sentry key crap, so if my switch ever fails and i'm in dire consequences i will make it run no matter what.
How is it a safety hazard? Is it going to cause a accident? No since the vehicle will not start. Is it going to start on fire? No the engine just will not start. Is it going to cause bodily harm? No.

Where you choose to go is not the responsibility of Jeep and they are not liable for your decision.

Just a inconvenience at best.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It probably died b/c you have the sentry key. Hold it close to the ignition then try to start it again, should stay started.

***** either way. Hope you get it fixed.

valvestem

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's called mass production and crap will break.

And if the ignition fails while on the highway, on-ramp or or traincrossing? The ignition failure in of itself it not serious, unless other circumstances dictate it is. Then it would be.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's called mass production and crap will break.

And if the ignition fails while on the highway, on-ramp or or traincrossing? The ignition failure in of itself it not serious, unless other circumstances dictate it is. Then it would be.
99.999999999999% of the time the ignition switch will not fail while the vehicle is already running.

If every small little part that broke got recalled no auto manufacturer would be around since they all would be bankrupt.What if your tire blows while doing 75mph,going to want a recall for that to even though you can't understand(most people) you need to check the air pressures often and when you got less then 3/32" tread depth that you need new tires.Or what about that rock flung by a semi that cracks your windshield,want a recall on the glass now to?

Point is things break,there is no way around that and it happens to each and every vehicle and nothing in the world is going to change that fact.