04-05 KJ rear Control Arms Recall Coming...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No. Said paint is more likely to fail in the salt belt. This is a "cover your ass" recall. I doubt anyone is forcing them to do the recall.

The paint manufacturer could have changed something without notifying Chrysler. Happens a lot in manufacturing where a supplier changes something without warning.
Any paint will fail if not taken care of,powdercoating is more lilely to fail then paint.I am GM and Chrysler certified in paint and collision repair.

MSReNeGaDe

Banned
Reaction score
Any paint will fail if not taken care of,powdercoating is more lilely to fail then paint.I am GM and Chrysler certified in paint and collision repair.

do you work for either the paint co. Or Chrysler? Then you don't know what's happening behind the scenes so stop speculating because all you have is a guess. Same as the rest of us.

sent via Morse code

J-Thompson

Full Access Member
Reaction score

So what?
You still have yet to show me any reason why
they did not simply get a "off spec" batch of paint
and the bean counters figured out that it would
be cheaper to replace a few LCA's
then to face class action

Think Ford/Firestone
25psi ,or what ever was on the door of the Explorer
now think what would happen should a few LCA's fail
Firestone said improper tire care
Chrysler can in no way prove that is did or did not
"hose the underside once a month"

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So what?
You still have yet to show me any reason why
they did not simply get a "off spec" batch of paint
and the bean counters figured out that it would
be cheaper to replace a few LCA's
then to face class action

Think Ford/Firestone
25psi ,or what ever was on the door of the Explorer
now think what would happen should a few LCA's fail
Firestone said improper tire care
Chrysler can in no way prove that is did or did not
"hose the underside once a month"
Again why did "bad paint" only get applied to salt belt state KJ's?

Oh and I've actually seen 2 sets of those firestone tires that was in the original lawsuit before the recall and steel belts showing on the inside with almost full tread on the outside on one set,that was owner neglect with alignment issues,the other set could have been air pressure but many other heavy SUV's at the time ran the same 26psi as the explorers ran.

MSReNeGaDe

Banned
Reaction score
Again why did "bad paint" only get applied to salt belt state KJ's?

Oh and I've actually seen 2 sets of those firestone tires that was in the original lawsuit before the recall and steel belts showing on the inside with almost full tread on the outside on one set,that was owner neglect with alignment issues,the other set could have been air pressure but many other heavy SUV's at the time ran the same 26psi as the explorers ran.

Agree to disagree and ****. Deal? Neither side can prove they're right so until more info comes out let's leave it alone

sent via Morse code

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
Slightly North of the 49° th. Parallel... In HongC
Let's face it...
Troy has a point regarding vehicle owners not doing proper maintenance.
Let alone proper preventive maintenance!

Just look at how many people don't change the fluids as per the owners manual.
It's only when things start making noise or don't work properly that they start getting concerned...

I look at my exwifes cars.
She drives them into the ground rather than servicing them properly, then blames the vehicle instead of her own stupidity!

Akedos

Full Access Member
Reaction score
And Troy even FOUND the part in the service manual that specifically said for salt belt state people to clean their under bodies at a specified interval... I'd put money down that NONE of the people with rusted out control arms did this.

Jaber

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Checked mine few days ago, when my buddy and I were rotating tires.

Sad to see previous owner didn't take care of the underside as well as the interior/exterior, I can see mine will need replacing sooner or later :(

Guess I better get on the ball when I get that recall letter.

J-Thompson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If I am wrong
And there was nothing wrong with the paint
or the application process
and it is 100% customer neglect
Why would Chrysler come off the money to replace
even 1 set?

And here is some food for thought
Suppose my parents bought me the KJ
for graduating high school in Louisiana
Then I went away to school in the "salt belt"
and returned home to find my LCA's eaten to
crap by salt
Does any one really believe that they would
not replace my LCA's

MSReNeGaDe

Banned
Reaction score
And Troy even FOUND the part in the service manual that specifically said for salt belt state people to clean their under bodies at a specified interval... I'd put money down that NONE of the people with rusted out control arms did this.

Interesting the paint on my 2010 jk isn't flaked or rusted at all on the arms and i rarely clean the underside. Trust me when i say, troy isn't god nor is he always right. Don't hang off his every word. On alot of things he knows what he's talking about but on SPECULATIONS like this, I'd wait foe some real facts to come out

sent via Morse code

Akedos

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Interesting the paint on my 2010 jk isn't flaked or rusted at all on the arms and i rarely clean the underside. Trust me when i say, troy isn't god nor is he always right. Don't hang off his every word. On alot of things he knows what he's talking about but on SPECULATIONS like this, I'd wait foe some real facts to come out

sent via Morse code

You have a 2 year old vehicle with no flaking paint? I'm hardly impressed by that. WAIT, I take that back... I'm not at all impressed by that.

Also, as I stated... I am willing to bet that no one with rusted out rear control arms cleaned them at the service intervals stated in the service manual. For one those cleaning schedules are ludicrous... and for two, what kind of OCD MFer cleans one specific part of their under body religiously?

You go ahead and wait for your facts. I'm just commenting.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
^^yup, got my recall notice yesterday also. I have an appointment to have it done today.

Dave

Snail Farmer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If I may add to this, I have an 04 and I live in MN. I got new LCA's thanks to the recall, but there was nothing wrong with mine. I never paid specific attention to them, but when I heard about the recall, I jacked the Jeep up and inspected them closely. There wasn't even one spot of rust on either of them. I've never been extremely meticulous about cleaning the under carriage. I wash the truck once or twice a week when the weather is nice, but during the winter I only wash it when the temp gets above 20. I've seen doors freeze shut before and don't want to be one of the unlucky ones it happens to. Anyway, I'd have to believe it's primarily owner neglect based on what I've seen. There have been a few reports about the LCA's failing and people losing control of the vehicle. I'm guessing the recall is just a result of that, and DC is trying to preempt a lawsuit.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
My control arms and bushings were replaced today. New ones are all black and shiney......:smokin:

Took me about an hour at the dealer starting from when I brought it in to when I drove it out. I think the actual labor time was about 1/2 hour. The old ones didn't look that bad.

Dave

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Man I wish I had the old ones they are removing
Lots of good ones just going to the junk
really stupid

theroofable

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Man I wish I had the old ones they are removing
Lots of good ones just going to the junk
really stupid

It may seem stupid that there are some that are OK, but it would be even worse to have one fail that was recalled and cause a serious injury for someone. There are too many accidents these days, nobody wants to be responsible for one, and for good reason.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It may seem stupid that there are some that are OK, but it would be even worse to have one fail that was recalled and cause a serious injury for someone. There are too many accidents these days, nobody wants to be responsible for one, and for good reason.
I'd believe almost all are okay but with how poeple are so sue happy and lazy to take care of there vehicle that Chrysler was forced to recall a part that should not have been.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score

But its a wearable item on a 7-8 year old vehicle
Its not like is brand new or two years old. People need to be taking responsibility for their own vehicles
Whats next since the springs get weak Jeep should replace them all
If you are too lazy to wash your vehicle and keep it up to date with good maintenance then you should break down
Mines on the recall but you will not find me rushing in just to get new parts for free :happy175: