04-05 KJ rear Control Arms Recall Coming...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jaber

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What a joke
Hose it once a month?
You or they have never seen what a month can
do to poorly protected equipment near salt water
But trust me hosing it once a month is ******* on
a forest fire

Says AT LEAST. I'm sure if the manual stated "Wash underside once a week", people would be raving about how costly/time consuming this vehicle is. Reason I love going to car wash during winter :badger_1: Nice and empty cause it's too cold.

My 2nd car, 2002 Grand Am, NO rust on the bottom. Car was parked outside, for 5 winters. When we did the suspension upgrade, bolts came off so easy. I even had guys ask if the car was from out of state :happy175:
But then again, I washed it EVERY weekend during the winter, even if it was in the single temps. Sometimes went to the wash earlier than usual, to get the crap off.

My first car, 1988 Chevy Beretta, I never washed the underside, until it was too late. The existing rust got bad and even worse after 4 winters in Chicago. When doing the brakes and banging on the drums, you would see rust falling off from the underside :freak3:

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My rock sliders look like crap
I wash them when they get muddy
every time it rains and I drive in it
the spray from the tires cleans them
But they are scratched and have surface rust
Maybe Krylon should send me a free can of paint
You must be registered for see images attach

8 years,washed every sunday(besides when I was deployed).The scratches on it aren't even rusty and those scratches in the pic are about 1.5 years old.

Otter64

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

8 years,washed every sunday(besides when I was deployed).The scratches on it aren't even rusty and those scratches in the pic are about 1.5 years old.
that's all fine and dandy, but you live in a low humidity climate. just saying.

Otter64

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It spent 1.5 years in salt,another 3.5 years less then 1 mile from the ocean where it sat in storage for a total of 2 years,then finally to CO.
the lack of rust on those scratches is still attributed to the climate, if they have been there for the time you're stating. keeping it clean helps, but a dry climate keeps it from rusting.

Last edited:

MSReNeGaDe

Banned
Reaction score
the lack of rust on those scratches is still attributed to the climate, if they have been there for the time you're stating. keeping it clean helps, but a dry climate keeps it from rusting.

No shit. Good luck keeping a vehicle your drive in the winter here like that. You'll be repainting every month

sent via Morse code

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No shit. Good luck keeping a vehicle your drive in the winter here like that. You'll be repainting every month

sent via Morse code
It would with no problems and little washing.It's called undercoating and was state mandated for every new vehicle sold in my home state due to the use of salt and other chemicals in the winter.Not that cheap rattle can stuff either you buy at the auto parts stores.Didn't want our vehicles looking like MN vehicles.

J-Thompson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It would with no problems and little washing.It's called undercoating and was state mandated for every new vehicle sold in my home state due to the use of salt and other chemicals in the winter.Not that cheap rattle can stuff either you buy at the auto parts stores.Didn't want our vehicles looking like MN vehicles.

You have yet to show why it is the customers fault
the paint on the LCA's is piss poor for '04-'05
Those are from an '02
The LCA's on my TJ look close to that ,surface rust like
the sliders but where I live 50% humidity is considered
very low

Bottom line Jeep screwed up
They have admitted to it
Now they have fixed it
Story over

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You have yet to show why it is the customers fault
the paint on the LCA's is piss poor for '04-'05
Those are from an '02
The LCA's on my TJ look close to that ,surface rust like
the sliders but where I live 50% humidity is considered
very low

Bottom line Jeep screwed up
They have admitted to it
Now they have fixed it
Story over
There being forced to recall and if they screwed up all KJ's after '03 would be recalled.

MSReNeGaDe

Banned
Reaction score
There being forced to recall and if they screwed up all KJ's after '03 would be recalled.

Forced? No one forced them. This is a preventative measure to keep lawsuits away. Its called a "**** up". They happen. I don't understand why your so gung ho butt hurt over the whole matter. Are you losing money because Chrysler is going to lose a few $$ on this? Did the guy calling for the recall take your woman?

sent via Morse code

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Forced? No one forced them. This is a preventative measure to keep lawsuits away. Its called a "**** up". They happen. I don't understand why your so gung ho butt hurt over the whole matter. Are you losing money because Chrysler is going to lose a few $$ on this? Did the guy calling for the recall take your woman?

sent via Morse code
Again if it was a f***up why only recalling salt belt KJ's? What difference is there in non-salt belt state KJ rear LCA's? Oh wait it's salt that needs to be washed off to prevent corrosion which is stated in the owners manual that no one can be bothered to read. When NHTSA get's involved it's almost always a forced recall.

Porkchop

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Any one remember the heaters on VWs and Corvairs no realls there and you could freez to death driving one of those in the winter. Feet were frost bitten from same after that always kept it cleaned and oiled feet still hurt to this day in the winter. And look at snow mobiles it you dont keep them clean in the winter after a ride on the roads. Now if thay broke from normal use on or off road then yes but what next if you let your tail light rot out its not the guys fault who rear ended you its the car manufactures fault and no fault of yours for not keeping it clean so it wont rot out even if it was painted when new. Ill bet the ones that failed were never cleaned and let go way beond normal cleaning even the drive through car washes here spray under cars.

MSReNeGaDe

Banned
Reaction score
Any one remember the heaters on VWs and Corvairs no realls there and you could freez to death driving one of those in the winter. Feet were frost bitten from same after that always kept it cleaned and oiled feet still hurt to this day in the winter. And look at snow mobiles it you dont keep them clean in the winter after a ride on the roads. Now if thay broke from normal use on or off road then yes but what next if you let your tail light rot out its not the guys fault who rear ended you its the car manufactures fault and no fault of yours for not keeping it clean so it wont rot out even if it was painted when new. Ill bet the ones that failed were never cleaned and let go way beond normal cleaning even the drive through car washes here spray under cars.

What?

sent via Morse code

J-Thompson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Again if it was a f***up why only recalling salt belt KJ's? What difference is there in non-salt belt state KJ rear LCA's? Oh wait it's salt that needs to be washed off to prevent corrosion which is stated in the owners manual that no one can be bothered to read. When NHTSA get's involved it's almost always a forced recall.

Apparently you have never seen what goes on inside
the facilities where they make the paints that are
used on cars
I have ,as a contractor
They make several 1000 gallons at a time
And that is just the color not the hardener
If when the paint or hardener were made
either was off or if at point of use they were
mixed wrong you could easily end up with this

Also I would bet dollars to dimes if I had an '04 with
rusty LCA's I could get new ones under recall

J-Thompson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thinking about it the small facility we have here can
batch 2000 gallons at once for marine use
This would easily paint 20,000 LCA's
So yeah a bad batch of paint could easily lead
to a recall like this

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score

Yup and replaced a battery in an old VW under the back seat. Next door neighbor re-habbed a 66 Corvair. I adjusted the carb and it is purring like a kitten...Still needs a paint job. Those old VW and Corvairs had the gas tank right in front of you behind the dash......don't hit anything too hard. Heater suks.

Back to LCA recall/rust....haha

Dave

MSReNeGaDe

Banned
Reaction score
Can't fault you really for being to young to even remember what a carburator is let alone a Corvair,or life without smart phones and internet.

I know what a Carb is. I know what a corvair is. My grandpa had one. I was out of high school before android became big. I grew up outside. Sorry i had PlayStation when i was a kid. That still doesn't negate Chrysler's mass production **** up on these lca's

sent via Morse code

rockymountain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
And that batch just happened to only paint LCA's that went to the salt belt states?

No. Said paint is more likely to fail in the salt belt. This is a "cover your ass" recall. I doubt anyone is forcing them to do the recall.

The paint manufacturer could have changed something without notifying Chrysler. Happens a lot in manufacturing where a supplier changes something without warning.