03 3.7L Jeep liberty oil issue. need help troubleshooting

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CactusJacked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just eliminate the PCV system all together, use breathers on each valve cover.

Not a good idea. The operation of the PCV valve (drawing crankcase fumes out through vacuum) actually creates flow-through ventilation in a way you don't get with just breathers. Plus it's better on gaskets and seals to suck crankcase pressures out, instead of them getting blown out on their own. Think of opening a window in your house to vent a room. Now put a fan in the window, blowing out. Which way ventilates the room better?

CactusJacked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If your engine had excessive blow-by (from worn piston rings), yes it could. But if you had only breathers, they would get gooey and drippy. If that was the case, then you may want to look into installing an oil catch can inline with the pcv hose.

2002KJLimited

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's most likely a combo of worn rings, seals, and vents. Best bet is to change pcv valve and add some Rislone Compression Repair to the oil, the stuff helps cushion worn bearings and fills scratches in the cylinder bores as well as revive old seals. Cheap insurance to extend life unless you want to pull the motor for a full rebuild.

Mars

Reaction score
i think im going to be on track for a qt of oil in 700 miles. Thats tragic. No smoke on start ups, no leaks at all, i just replaced the PCV and it seems thats not helping.

Last edited:

Mars

Reaction score
Also what is strange the plugs that look like they might have been in there for 70k miles showed no signs of oil consumption, nor does the tail pipe. How bizarre.

Mars

Reaction score
no joy with replacing the PCV.
I am wanting to try the new PCV from the TSB notice that eliminates the foaming issue in the oil filler neck in cold weather locations but I doubt it'll work.

worn down piston right is most likely the culprit I think.

This engine is also known to leak from the valve cover as well. Do you see black smoke from your exhaust? You're loosing quite a bit there.

Well it seems like you are still on the road since you started this topic, so are you still using as much oil, no less or more? How many miles have you put on since you first discovered the oil issue?

2002KJLimited

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i think im going to be on track for a qt of oil in 700 miles. Thats tragic. No smoke on start ups, no leaks at all, i just replaced the PCV and it seems thats not helping.

Even when I changed mine it still consumed oil, the plugs may appear clean because the engine is burning the small amount of oil without carbon buildup. It's not worth it to do much else, just keep up with using quality oil and filters. Adding a quart every month or two isn't a big deal.

GunnerSchenck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
To me I would state it more as deal-able.. acceptable to me would it be not burning oil lol..
1qt. Every 3k doesn't seem bad until I'm back at college doing 1400-1600 miles a week.. then it gets old real quick lol.
Felt like I was changing the oil more than I drove it lol :D

CactusJacked

Full Access Member
Reaction score

That means you'd be adding a little over 4 quarts every 3k mile OCI (Oil Change Interval, for the acronymically impaired). You can in essence stretch your mileage interval a bit since you're constantly adding new oil.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
To me I would state it more as deal-able.. acceptable to me would it be not burning oil lol..
1qt. Every 3k doesn't seem bad until I'm back at college doing 1400-1600 miles a week.. then it gets old real quick lol.
Felt like I was changing the oil more than I drove it lol :D

1qt per 1000 miles is the acceptable industry standard.Subaru and nissan have major issues meeting that standard,even brand new.