HELP HELP HELP! Engine almost stalling, low RPMS!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ahjjones

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This Jeep is a real pain sometimes! One problem after another!

At times the engine idles low. Some times it feels like its gonna stall out when I put it in park, and the RPM dropped real low last night when I was backing up into my drive way. A while back when I parked at a resturant it stalled out as soon as I put it in Park. Also, when starting it at times it smells like it was running rich or something. You can defiantly get a slight smell of gas. I'm not sure what it is.

Thanks for your help!

ahjjones

Full Access Member
Reaction score
CELS mean the codes it throws, correct? Sorry, I'm a bit of a newbie. It has two codes, but they're unrelated, and actually the light goes on and off at random intervals because of them. They refer to the transfer case sensor that needs to be replaced, and the radiator replay as well. Both getting done this weekend.

Atrus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Has it been maintained? Good spark plugs, etc?

I really don't know what it could be - stalling could be a ton of different problems.

ahjjones

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just got it about 6 months ago, but I've changed the plugs and oil.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
The IAC controls rpm. They get seriously carboned up. Drivers side of Throttle body.
Remove it and give it a good cleaning and the port with throttle body cleaner spray and see if that is better, if not replace it.
Also spray out the throttle body, and check your air filter.
38677[/ATTACH]"]
You must be registered for see images attach

One - T-20 Torx bit on bottom (behind hose) remove it...
38679[/ATTACH]"]

38681[/ATTACH]"]

38683[/ATTACH]"]

Attachments

• IAC3.jpg
    IAC3.jpg
    123.1 KB · Views: 0
  • IAC5.jpg
    IAC5.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 0
  • IAC9.jpg
    IAC9.jpg
    108.2 KB · Views: 0
  • IAC8.jpg
    IAC8.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 0

ahjjones

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The IAC controls rpm. They get seriously carboned up. Drivers side of Throttle body.
Remove it and give it a good cleaning and the port with throttle body cleaner spray and see if that is better, if not replace it.
Also spray out the throttle body, and check your air filter.
38685[/ATTACH]"]

One - T-20 Torx bit on bottom (behind hose) remove it...
38687[/ATTACH]"]

38689[/ATTACH]"]

38691[/ATTACH]"]
You sir, are a god! Thank you so much!!!!!

Attachments

• IAC3.jpg
    IAC3.jpg
    123.1 KB · Views: 0
  • IAC5.jpg
    IAC5.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 0
  • IAC9.jpg
    IAC9.jpg
    108.2 KB · Views: 0
  • IAC8.jpg
    IAC8.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 0

rockymountain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes bookmarked as well.
1 question.
should you or should you not use carb cleaner and instead use throttle body cleaner.

I think I've asked this before, but can't remember the answer..:freak3:

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
I have both the throttle body cleaner and Carb Cleaner.
The throttle body cleaner should be used as an intake cleaner as is safe for injectors/cats.
Ok so why in the photo did I mention Carb cleaner? Simply it works better, is stronger, and in the case where you have removed the IAC and are only using Q-tips and lint free shop towels to clean the port, the carb cleaner removes the carbon better.
Some compressed air (even in a computer dust off spray can) helps to blow out the small particles and should be used after cleaning as well. Hope that helps.
And Edit: One Last comment on the plunger on the IAC, When you depress the plunger, the Q-tip should bend a bit and there should be reasonable resistance as you depress it.
If it slides down like the spring does not exist, replace the IAC. A sign that the plunger is worn out is : a hesitating idle like sticking at 850rpm and then dropping to 650 to idle normal as example.
ALSO since you are there and cleaning take the time to also remove your PCV valve! Clean it too and if it does not rattle..buy a new one!!!
And last hint for removing hoses..use a hair dryer to heat them up before removing and installing.

Last edited: