A a-arm ?s from my experience.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rockymountain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, I have a question that's bugging my brain. When you have your upper a-arms disconnected (al's 4.5 in my case) should they be very difficult to move up and down with your bare hands? Last time I had it apart, they were very difficult to move very far upwards. Is this normal?

Sometimes I think they are just too stiff or even seizing up. Also, my boots on the ball-joints have never been right. The metal clip around them never really seated and it seems the joints are always just exposed. Anyone else experience this? This can't be good driving in wet conditions.

All of a sudden yesterday the wheel won't return to center when coming out of a turn. It seems like something broke. I didn't hear anything, but just all of a sudden I need to turn the wheel back myself or just keep turning. Kind of dangerous if you're not paying attention! :freak3:

I don't know if these things are related or not. Maybe the experts can help me out here.
And I did get new Duratracs, they seemed really nice just a week and a half ago, when I got them, but now they are getting LOUD! I don't think that's the general experience others are having here with Duratracs. Right now this KJ is driving me nuts. :disgust::freak3: It seems like everything I do is shooting a new hole in it.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
With the UCA's 2 mounting bolkts tight it should be very difficult to move the UCA up and down as your twisting the rubber bushing,what it's supposed to do.

The front wheels not returning to center on there own is a caster problem or major damage to the rack&pinion steering gear/PS pump(no flow/little flow).

rockymountain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow. Went for test drive with the foreman and while taking a turn POP! the $:&:& front cam bolt popped inward. I had to check my pants after that. Felt like I was going to go into the guard rail. Anyway, thinking about going to Firestone and getting that lifetime alignment deal.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Sounds like someone didn't finish their job at the last alignment
When did they do it last?

rockymountain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well let me clear this up. I was on a test drive with the shop foreman, the boss. He was in the passenger seat when it happened. This was after they got it "the best they could". I'll post the sheet when I get home, but it is around 3 or so I think. I think I have something binding up. My first suspect is the tie rod ends' balljoints. Dohknow.

rockymountain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok here's the alignment sheet.

You must be registered for see images

sorry for the little image.

Ride is pretty good. Now it is apparent that it only seems to get "hung up" when coming out of a right turn. And it is only at the end of the turn not throughout the entire turn.

I forgot to add that the tech said that he was a little gun shy on those cam bolts because he's torqued on some before and he had actually been twisting them off. ...whatever dude. If that was the case, either the cam bolts should've been replaced or you have one hell of an arm.

...always something it seems.

Last edited:

rockymountain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Today I drove a lot and paid close attention to what was happening. I'm getting a lot of tire noise from the front right it seems. What happens with it is that when the suspension moves around enough the noise gets quiet and not that bad. Then it gradually creeps back to the annoying level again. I can turn right really good, but when I turn left, it really grinds the tires, or at least that's what it sounds like. And it is coming from the right side. Tomorrow I'm gonna take a look at everything up there and try to see if anything is obviously broken or worn out. I hope something just sticks out so I can quit guessing. I wish something would just break already.

So what's the general consensus on Duratracs? Annoying level of noise? I'm thinking not. When I drove away from the tire shop they were silent. And now its just shy of just 2 weeks later.

anyone have any suggestions? Thanks!! :smokin:

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Today I drove a lot and paid close attention to what was happening. I'm getting a lot of tire noise from the front right it seems. What happens with it is that when the suspension moves around enough the noise gets quiet and not that bad. Then it gradually creeps back to the annoying level again. I can turn right really good, but when I turn left, it really grinds the tires, or at least that's what it sounds like. And it is coming from the right side. Tomorrow I'm gonna take a look at everything up there and try to see if anything is obviously broken or worn out. I hope something just sticks out so I can quit guessing. I wish something would just break already.

So what's the general consensus on Duratracs? Annoying level of noise? I'm thinking not. When I drove away from the tire shop they were silent. And now its just shy of just 2 weeks later.

anyone have any suggestions? Thanks!! :smokin:
I have one................

Go back and have them set the camber on both sides as close to -0.4 degrees as possible and caster were ever it lands but the cross caster must be within 0.5 degrees.2.5-3 degrees of caster is plenty,any more with big tires and tend to get tire scrub,more so when the camber is F'ed up like yours is right now.

Camber is always more important the caster.

rockymountain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for being straight to the point. I'm gonna hit up the Firestone shop I think. This is bs that my alignment can't get right.

rockymountain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, busted out and got the lifetime alignment at Firestone. They had it for over 2 hours. Anyway here's what they came up with after I handed them what you said Troy on a piece of paper that I copied the text to.

It has much better manners especially on the highway. I can live with this for a while. Now I'm going to rotate the tires crisscross and see how it feels.

tjkj, let me know what you think about the alignment.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, busted out and got the lifetime alignment at Firestone. They had it for over 2 hours. Anyway here's what they came up with after I handed them what you said Troy on a piece of paper that I copied the text to.

It has much better manners especially on the highway. I can live with this for a while. Now I'm going to rotate the tires crisscross and see how it feels.

tjkj, let me know what you think about the alignment.
Much better,the camber they way it's set(both negitive a little) would cause a slight drift which is counter acted by the caster.It should drive pretty straight with better steering response and lower speeds.

rockymountain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Much better,the camber they way it's set(both negitive a little) would cause a slight drift which is counter acted by the caster.It should drive pretty straight with better steering response and lower speeds.

Yep! It drives better right now than it ever has. I just took a spin and I could drive it all night. Turns good drives straight. Almost drives itself compared to before.

I'd really like to thank you for the help. What you said is exactly what was needed. I owe you a beer or two!!:party52:

Cardhu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is there a preference for which side should have slightly more caster while still holding to cross caster being within .5 degrees and between 2 and 3.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is there a preference for which side should have slightly more caster while still holding to cross caster being within .5 degrees and between 2 and 3.
Ideally you want less caster on the left side if you drive on the right side of the road due to the crown of the roads in most places,reversed for those right side drive which drive on the left side of the road.

Some vehicles have different caster specs for left and right which can vary up to 1.5 degrees to overcome the road crown.

mightybeet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have one................

Go back and have them set the camber on both sides as close to -0.4 degrees as possible and caster were ever it lands but the cross caster must be within 0.5 degrees.2.5-3 degrees of caster is plenty,any more with big tires and tend to get tire scrub,more so when the camber is F'ed up like yours is right now.

Camber is always more important the caster.

does this hold true for all lifts using JBA UCA? front duratracs are unbearable noisy at 40-60 mph. going to firestone to get alignment.

Toe: evenish
Camber: -0.4
Caster: 2+
Cross Caster: within 0.5

Cardhu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
does this hold true for all lifts using JBA UCA? front duratracs are unbearable noisy at 40-60 mph. going to firestone to get alignment.

Toe: evenish
Camber: -0.4
Caster: 2+
Cross Caster: within 0.5

yes do those. Ideally you want as much caster as possible after setting camber. Which typically ends up being 2 - 3 range.

As for your duratracs being loud, welcome to the club.
cardhu-albums-alignment-picture3342-around-6-months-after-lift-1-month-after-new-wheels-tires-%7Ejuly-4-2012.jpg

Last edited:

mightybeet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yes do those. Ideally you want as much caster as possible after setting camber. Which typically ends up being 2 - 3 range.

As for your duratracs being loud, welcome to the club.
cardhu-albums-alignment-picture3342-around-6-months-after-lift-1-month-after-new-wheels-tires-%7Ejuly-4-2012.jpg

is this a generic sheet that i can just give them?