Oh where oh where did reverse gear go... oh where oh where did it go?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
Slightly North of the 49° th. Parallel... In HongC
So Jen took the KJ out today for an all girls outing at a local 4X4 area and decided to take a friend up to a nice alpine lookout.
Upon descending the mountain road back down to the river basin they ran into some slippery stuff on the gravel road and slid off the beaten path.
Jen engaged the rear locker and then selected reverse gear.
NOTHING! SWEET F**k ALL!
They ended up needing recovery from a couple of friends in Ford F250 4X4's to pull them back on the road way.
Long story short, they made it home alright, but our KJ just dosn't have reverse gear!
When Jen made it back home I got in the heep and tried selecting reverse.
The truck feels like it is engaging reverse but when I apply gas the engine just rev's but doesn't actually move backwards.
Our heep had the ****** professionally serviced just over 12 months ago.
(Full fluid flush and new filter)
All foreward gears work just fine, just no reverse gear!

Any ideas folks?

I have a feeling that it's time for a rebuilt transmission for our heep!

This will be the first major repair it has needed in the last five years.

Thanks in advance

Ry & Jen

rockymountain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
correct me if I'm wrong, but don't you get some sort of warranty from the dealer if they do a flush/service on your transmission? I thought I heard that on here once. Just wondering.

Atrus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thing is, our KJ is paid in full!
No payments!

Werd - I am struggling with that now.

99% of the time, I am driving in the KJ myself. My commute is about 35 miles round trip daily. With the kid, two small dogs...the KJ just seems awfully small for the most part. Wife's 5'6" and her knees are in the dashboard to fit the kid seat in the back, and the stroller takes up almost all the cargo room. I don't know how we'll go up north this summer.

I really want a Tahoe - I'll look for a used one with similar mileage (73k on KJ now). It'd give me more room when I need it, and the gas mileage isn't *that* much worse than what I am getting in the KJ. Plus, being that I work for GM now, it would be nice to drive a GM product...I don't lose any sleep that I drive a Jeep there daily, but it would be nice.

But...I owe <$1k on the KJ...I literally have 3 more payments and it's mine. So, I could really bank the cash I was paying on it for a little while and have a nice down payment when I am ready. The other thing is, I could be up for manager at any given time, and could buy into the employee vehicle program if I choose, which is a HELLUVA good deal. So, locking into something else doesn't make sense if I am going to get into that program in the next year or two...it's not for certain though. Lastly, the kid isn't ridiculously far off from being front-facing - she's 8 months, so I am thinking we're closing in on halfway there. I could just stick it out...but then when #2 comes along, I am in the same boat...actually, a worse boat.

See what I think about?

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
The KJ works pretty good if all the people in it are adults. I can fit my family in it (4 adult sized people) and the only comfort complaint anyone has is no climate control for the back. But, most of the time it's fine.

Never had car seats in it, but I bet that'd be a pain. But I do enjoy the best creature comfort....PAID OFF!!! :D

Ry, I'd just fix it. Too late to turn back now, and...it's paid off. No payment=more mods. :D

Randoozle

Reaction score
It most likely is the clutch pack is worn out for reverse. I had this problem for second gear and it was the clutch pack. So time for a rebuilt transmission.