"Drain and refill transmission" what does it means?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AlexKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Two transmission related questions :)

1.- The owner's manual states:
"Drain and refill the automatic transmission fluid, and replace main sump filter."
Ok... easy to understand the "replace main sump filter" thing... but what does it means the "Drain and refill the automatic transmission fluid" part?

A) A complete flush
B) Just drain whatever pours down when you change the filter and refill to proper level
C) Other thing that I still don't get.

I know that it's desirable to change filter(s) at 30,000 mi, but I'm not asking that... It's just I found the direction a little ambiguous.

2.- What of the following 3 are correct:
A) First you change the filter(s) and then you perform a complete flush.
B) First you perform a complete flush and then you change the filter(s). You'll loss some new fluid in the process, but it's how must to be done.
C) Make no difference between A) or B)
D) None of above it's correct.

Thanks! :)

uss2defiant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can the mods make this a sticky? the most clear post regarding the transmission flush. took awhile to get to this.

Last edited:

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Nope No Sticky until everyone understands answer/option "C" which is....
The dealer should perform the Transmission service.

They have the correct flush machine and will do the flush correctly for a reasonable price, and you will have a warranty against leaks on the pan too !
:party52:

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
The dealer should perform the Transmission service. (complete)
That includes pan drop, filter, pan installation,flush etc....
If they remove and RTV the pan it comes with a warranty !

Birdman330

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Power Flushes are becoming a thing of the past, much of it is due to damages being done when running the detergent cleaners through the transmissions, the other is that people and shops get ill informed of what is called the "Do it or Don't" stage on an Automatic Transmission. If a service usually has never happened before the 100,000 mile marker on the clock its advised never to perform the services. The original transfluid becomes a band-aid to the transmission itself. Three scenarios occur if you do a fluid exchange above 100,000 miles,

A: You're lucky nothing happens and you can perform another Service
B: Things seem alright, then usually a small time later ranging from days to months, the transmission will go out completely either from a leak developed due to the service or the internals going out once again due to the service performed. (Reason why I say leaks is because gunk and build up in the transmission will actually act a plug to worn seals in the transmission, when flushed you expose those holes and leaks)
C: You perform the Service and the Transmission will not work period, until you put the old fluid back in (Defy's known laws of auto physics but when you see it with your own eyes you will believe it. A product provider put it as the Transmission and the Fluid become one.)

Now its it simply called a Fluid Exchange, the Machine pumps out all the old fluid, runs a detergent cleaner through the transmission gently then pumps in new Transmission Fluid.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Power Flushes are becoming a thing of the past, much of it is due to damages being done when running the detergent cleaners through the transmissions, the other is that people and shops get ill informed of what is called the "Do it or Don't" stage on an Automatic Transmission. If a service usually has never happened before the 100,000 mile marker on the clock its advised never to perform the services. The original transfluid becomes a band-aid to the transmission itself. Three scenarios occur if you do a fluid exchange above 100,000 miles,

B: Things seem alright, then usually a small time later ranging from days to months, the transmission will go out completely either from a leak developed due to the service or the internals going out once again due to the service performed. (Reason why I say leaks is because gunk and build up in the transmission will actually act a plug to worn seals in the transmission, when flushed you expose those holes and leaks)
C: You perform the Service and the Transmission will not work period, until you put the old fluid back in (Defy's known laws of auto physics but when you see it with your own eyes you will believe it. A product provider put it as the Transmission and the Fluid become one.)

Now its it simply called a Fluid Exchange, the Machine pumps out all the old fluid, runs a detergent cleaner through the transmission gently then pumps in new Transmission Fluid.
Never seen or heard of "power flushing" a trans,you will instantly blow the trans or the machine.also never seen a trans not work on new fluid but will when the old fluid is put back in(would be impossible anyways),heard that rumor long ago and asked our trans service rep(50 years on the job) and he has never seen it,heard about it but it's just a myth like once you put in synthetic oil you can't go back to dino oil.

All trans machines are fluid exchangers,never use the chemical cleaner and have it done often(every 60k at least) and change the filter(s) at least every other service you will be fine.

flair1111

Full Access Member
Reaction score

the wife had a crappy 2000 grand am. that car sucked ass. anyway she had it 5yrs before we met. so i ask her when her last ****** fluid/filter change was done. she said never because she didnt know it ever needed it done. it had 162,000 on it at the time. i changed fliter and all the fluid i could get out. it ran fine after and actually shifted smoother than before. the engine jumped time about 50,000 miles later.

Birdman330

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Never seen or heard of "power flushing" a trans,you will instantly blow the trans or the machine.also never seen a trans not work on new fluid but will when the old fluid is put back in(would be impossible anyways),heard that rumor long ago and asked our trans service rep(50 years on the job) and he has never seen it,heard about it but it's just a myth like once you put in synthetic oil you can't go back to dino oil.

All trans machines are fluid exchangers,never use the chemical cleaner and have it done often(every 60k at least) and change the filter(s) at least every other service you will be fine.

Where I used to work we used a power flush machine, thankfully now a dealership that isn't used. There are places that still use these machines. Yes I have seen the trans will only work with the old fluid, as well as the dropping the trans shortly after a flush thanks to my not so bright service manager. One of the reasons why I quit. The Synthetic is misconstrued, if you put in Synthetic once or twice and go back to Conventional you're fine once you've used Synthetic for a while and switch back you can and will do damage. A customer got a new engine thanks to that.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Where I used to work we used a power flush machine, thankfully now a dealership that isn't used. There are places that still use these machines. Yes I have seen the trans will only work with the old fluid, as well as the dropping the trans shortly after a flush thanks to my not so bright service manager. One of the reasons why I quit. The Synthetic is misconstrued, if you put in Synthetic once or twice and go back to Conventional you're fine once you've used Synthetic for a while and switch back you can and will do damage. A customer got a new engine thanks to that.
There is no such thing as power flushing a trans(like a cooling system),you will blow up the trans,I mean you will actually blow the case apart(seen it happen before).What your reffering to is a brand of machine called powerflush which is just a fluid exchanger like all the others.

Oh and your wrong with the synthetic,you can switch at will and never have a issue.Ever heard of synthetic blend oils?

CactusJacked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There is no such thing as power flushing a trans(like a cooling system),you will blow up the trans,I mean you will actually blow the case apart(seen it happen before).

Just curious how you were able to see a non-existent power flush blow a trans case apart before? ;)
To the rest: I've had fluid exchanges done on a few of my vehicles in the past, never had a failure afterwards. But I too have heard the stories of how the fresh detergent in the new fluid can clean out some old stuff that maybe you don't want to, as in grit and grime embedded into the clutch surfaces that was aiding traction, once cleaned out, could cause the clutches to slip. It's a crap shoot, but if I had a trans with a lot of miles and it was never maintained before, I might think twice about performing a complete transfusion.
Automatic Transmission Fluid Flush

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just curious how you were able to see a non-existent power flush blow a trans case apart before? ;)
Not done by a machine,had some idiot when I was in Japan some how hook up the PS pump(about 800-1000psi) to the trans cooler lines,took all of about 10 seconds and the case of that turbo 400 in a HMMWV blew apart in about 30 pieces.Guess You can't expect much from someone who tried to hang themselves with a bungee cord.